• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heating Questions.

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, gonna sound thick but this will be my first beardie when tank is sorted!...so I'm gonna get a beardie soon, got all the gear for it, but having trouble getting right temperature. Totally confused, everywhere tells you different and I'm stuck.. what temperature should the warm and cold ends be? I have a basking lamp, UVB lighting and a ceramic heat emitter for night should it get too cold here. Also do I keep lights on all day (like 12hrs ish) or to come on and off. my thermostat allows the lights to come on and off twice per day, can set day and night temp so heat emitter only comes on when it drops 1 degree C below the setting or go off if over by 1.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
100-110 for basking 12hrs. cool side i leave at room temp i live in northern ohio and i never use ceramic heat at night.

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I live in the UK.. ermm ok so.. my basking lamp is a Exo-Terra 75W bulb.. and the basking area is getting to 40.5 degrees c n counting :( the lamp is as high in the viv as it can be. any ideas on that? and the hot side is getting too hot 36.6 even though i told it to only get to like 32 max(ok i'm slightly thick , had the probe too high, i've repositioned it to be about 1/2inch from substrate which is kitchen towel whilst the beardie is young). i could add the light onto the heat emitter timer but means would be on at night.. i have the basking lamp and heat emitter on that side tho :( not easy to install anywhere else really.oh the CHE is set to only come at night. i have a 4ftX2ftX2ft viv. the UVB and bask light seem to overkill on heat :(

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
what kind of uvb for basking we use a 60W light bulb

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
how cold does it get at night in your house

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
erm not too cold during summer. especially as it's in a room that is generally quite warm 90% of the year. last nights temp was like 26-27 degree C but it's pretty warm here. so the CHE never kicked in:)

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
your basking is good whats the temp at the other end

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
we keep ours at 80f just add some ventilation

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
the viv is a melamine viv.. has 4 vents in back panel.. n glass sliding doors.. what would you do to add ventilation to this?

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ok will do. will adding more plants and rocks(which i'm waiting on as were out of stock ) bump temp up?

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
my tank.jpgmy tank2.jpg
artificial plants. I dont trust live plants incase it munches on them. till i get more knowledge to safe plants etc

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ok your basking rock needs to be underneath the light for the uvb if to high temp then lower watts

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ok thanks, the one there is temporary till the proper turns up. made of same materials etc. i think i need a lower wattage bulb cus it shoots to like 49 plus when rock under it

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
would you suggest getting a reptile fan for ventilation?

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My house temp is pretty high today..naturally 27-28c.. If I put the basking light on the temp in hot side soars upwards to like 44c and basking hotter than that..I know to keep the tube UVB light on(this is a Exo-Terra Repti-glo 10.0 25w tube). I've changed the temp for the CHE.. it'll pretty much never come on unless house is at 16-17c.. is there anyway i can ventilate the viv to help regulate the heat in there as it's being a bit of a rollercoaster. Pics above for type of viv and basking rock under the basking light properly now for more accurate reading.

Latest posts