• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat bulb substitutes?

Nanuka

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Reptar's heat lamp blew out this morning. :( But I won't be paid until Friday, and won't have transportation to go to Petsmart until Saturday. Aside from warm baths and sitting outside in the sun (we have glorious Florida triple digit heat at the moment), is there any temporary substitute for reptile heat lamps? Maybe household bulbs with certain wattage? And should I keep his diet to pellets as well? So he's not just laying around with fresh bugs needing digestion etc.

Thanks in advance!

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Nanuka

Just use a regular 60watt bulb (not Coil CFL) and you should be fine.

As for the pellets...... Well most of us don't use the pellets as there really isn't a better substituion for fresh veggies and insects.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Nanuka

As for the pellets...... Well most of us don't use the pellets as there really isn't a better substituion for fresh veggies and insects.

Hope this helps.

Don't forget the UVB:D

Nanuka

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Nanuka

Hope this helps.

That's precisely what we have on hand, wonderful! And definitely agreed. We stocked up on the pellets as back-up for such occasions. He'll still have the daily veggies, but I do recall other owners speaking of how if they're unable to bask after eating crickets/worms - that it can be potentially dangerous in cases of impaction etc. I sincerely appreciate it!

Nanuka

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I use 60watt house bulbs

Don't forget the UVB:D

Didn't see your first reply until now, odd. But thank you! Yeah, his UVA/B set is still intact. But considering the circumstances, I'll be picking up extras this weekend as well. The previous owner was using these exact bulbs since December last year.

Latest posts