• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

he wont eat his greens!!

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi, my unknown aged adult rescue beardie is refusing pointblank to eat any greens/veg/fruit, I give him a piled high shallow bowl full each day, containing a mixture of different things (butternut squash, grated carrot,grated apple, chopped dandelion (the rescure centre said he ate that!!) various sorts of lettuces (Not iceburg), grapes etc but he refuses. I sat fr half an hour wiggleing a piece of shredded apple with my feeding tongs and he eventually took it, so I tried with carrot...he took it with some reluctance :-\! So....what should I do?? He is bathed each day where he drinks well also!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
quickest trick is to mix chopped greens (dandelion or collards etc) with some small soft bodied worms (like silkworms) they will move around in and under the salad making the veggies move around. he will more than likely go after it. Also it is best to feed veggies in the morning as this is when they are the hungriest.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Princess wouldn't eat them when I got her either. The trick for her was collards mixed with strawberries and mango. Plus I stopped live feeders for a couple of days. She now eats all sorts of veggies and fruit

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Haha...already tried those tricks! He watches the bowl with his seeing eye (blind in the other) and thats all he does!!! I put the bowl in around 7am when Im checking all my other animals, and he simply walks through it!!! I will persevere tho!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is this Jethro?

9-19-09 was your first post on him. He may still be acclimating some.
I'd give him another week at least and go thru some typical low stress acclimation tricks to help him along.

you can cover the glass portion of his tank with paper towel, newspaper, etc so he can't see out.
Remove him for soaks only.
Offer him his food daily, but try not to handle him much.

In 2 weeks have a fecal ran. He should have adapted pretty well by then.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Gina. He is still adjusting to his new home. And he is a sick one too. Give him time to adjust. Keep offering the salad combo. A lot of beardies go on strike from eating their salad every now and again. Don't give up.

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
;D Thanks for that! But weirdly, this morning (early) I placed a fresh well laden bowl of assorted greens and veg and Jethro tucked in straight away. He is eating incredibly well and seems very at home watching us with his good eye. He seems to enjoy the baths and has suddenly started shedding lots of old skin (in large pieces) I am really proud of Jethro, considering all he has gone thru! I am sure he has gained some weight (he was underweight) and I'm taking a poo sample into vet for him to check (the last poo check was clear apparently)...Incase you hadn't guessed we adore him already :-*...and we're considering where we could fit another viv to accomodate the next beardy! ;)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is wonderful news! Jethro is a real trooper and a fighter to boot. Keep up the fabulous work.

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am so happy to hear of all the successes people are having with their dragons.
I`m hopeful, but extremely upset.

I haven`t seen him eat any veggies at all.
Sometimes he walks around and licks the air, or branches, or rocks. I spray him with water. He doesn't care. I tried so many tricks to get him to eat his veggies and he won't. I'm terrified, he's so skinny and I don`t think he was fed properly with his previous owner :(
Sometimes he eats his crickets, sometimes he doesn't. It makes me want to pull my hair out.

I`m going to give him a bath tonight and hopefully that will help.
I didn't feed him crickets today in hope he'll eat his veggies.
Unfortunately he enjoys walking all over his bowl. The food gets all over the cage and I am left to wonder if he actually ate anything.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol...don't mean to laugh at you, but I used to experience the same thing. You go and cut your veggies up and gingerly place them in the viv. Then your dragon runs over, licks the air and runs across your food dish. So frustrating.

Hang in there. Give it time. You've only had your beardie for a short time. You need to erase all the bad habits the previous owners did.

Keep offering the greens daily. As long as he is pooping regularly and your temps and lights are good, you'll be fine.

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My temps are good, my light is good, the cage is clean, and I offer him a crazy salad everyday.
He hasn't pooped since I got him ):

Is he maybe stressed?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He could be going through relocation stress, but I haven't seen that affecting their poo, just their appetites and behavior. When they don't eat and don't poo, it is typically due to lighting and temps.

What are you using to measure your temps?

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have two different dial thermometers. I've tried switching their places and they read the same temperatures. I know this isn't 100% accurate, and I will be going digital next paycheck. But he doesn't sleep or close his eyes, or pant like crazy. He just hangs around, does a whole lot of looking around and licking things.

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He did even better today.
While he was basking I managed to feed him maybe five pieces of romaine, four pieces of squash, and three pieces of banana.
:)
I think I may stop by the grocery store tonight to get some more greens!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is wonderful news! Like Janie pointed out, he is bonding with you. I also agree to mix up the veggies. Try some collard greens or mustard greens too....

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I tried to find collard greens and mustard greens yesterday and alas, no success.
I did get another type of squash, a bag of 7 organic lettuces' , and alfalfa.
Oh, and peas. Let's see how he does today.

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Lol..well, Jethro has put on loads of weight, relishing the roaches/locusts/big crickets....but only occassionally eats greens. I have tried everything but he mostly just walks thru it. I even resorted to (wait for this!!!) wrapping the roaches in assorted veg matter (finely chopped with a kenwood wizzy thing I bought especially!!!) and feeding them to him with feeding tongs...then he eats it!!! He poops daily, drinks only when in the kitchen sink....but he seems happy. Him and I have a routine now, and he is worth all the effort and worry I have put in!

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am so happy for you and Jethro! I'm glad things are working out between you two :)
Puff has started eating his vegetables! It's such a relief too, I was stressing out from worrying too much!
He won't eat the veggies when I'm around, but when I leave he'll sneak over and eat some.
Self esteem issue? ;)

Latest posts