• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GUTTED

inky22

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
gutted i think both my bearded dragons are males ....really dont want to get rid of 1 anyone any idea's

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have 3 adult males and one juvie female.. all are in separate enclosures.
There lies your answer. Separate enclosures.
Hope that helps !
Janie

inky22

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
wana keep them both but i dont want them to eat each other. but i have a couple of friends that house males together and they are fine. will have to put a partishion in the middle of the viv x

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a baby male and an adult male. They are housed in separate vivs and in different rooms right now. Both happy as can be.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If the tank is big enough you can put a partition in, BUT...they probably shouldn't see each other and you would need a pretty big tank to make sure they both had enough room.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can keep both males. I wouldn't recommend housing them together. Beardies are typically not social creatures and one could dominate.

As Lisa points out, if your viv is large enough, then you may put a partition in the middle. Ensure it is sturdy enough that they will not break it down to get to the other dragon. If it is not large enough, you can get a second viv and stack them.

inky22

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
my tank 3ft by 2ft. cant afford another tank am a carer for my disabled partner the dragons are my get away from everything. i love them both at the min there getting on well x

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
not to be mean or rude, but you asked ans everyone is telling you the correct thing.
Yet you insist its fine for whatever reason. I truley hope that I dont read on here in 6 months
My dragon attacked my other dragon what do I do.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
inky22 said:
my tank 3ft by 2ft. cant afford another tank am a carer for my disabled partner the dragons are my get away from everything. i love them both at the min there getting on well x

Two males should not be housed together as they are a territorial animal and will fight to maintain their territories. That tank is not large enough to successfully partition for two dragons. So if you want to be a responsible pet owner, one of them needs to find a new home. I know you do not want to do this but unless you can get another tank that is appropriately sized for an adult (40 gallon breeder ie 36" long by 18 inches wide) than you need to rehome one. You do not have to see outward violence between the 2 of them for their to be problems. There are many behaviors that are identified as defensive and territorial that could be as small as a certain posture. And if you do not know to look for it you will not see it. And once its too late it is too late.

Good luck to you.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You'll find that we are very passionate about the care of bearded dragons here. Yes, there are success stories of housing bearded dragons together. And yes, there are horror stories associated with beardies being in the same viv.

Everyone here has witnessed or knows of horrible outcomes when multiple bearded dragons are housed together. We tend to stay on the side of caution and highly support not housing them together.

I know it is hard to separate from a loved one, but you have to think of the bearded dragon and the quality of life you can provide.

If you do keep them together, please observe them closely. Any abnormal behavior, separate them ASAP. Things to look for are dominance over the basking spot, one not eating salad or crickets, one cowering in the corner. Here is the link to our article on housing multiple dragons together?

Housing Multiple Bearded Dragons Together

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee said:
You'll find that we are very passionate about the care of bearded dragons here. Yes, there are success stories of housing bearded dragons together. And yes, there are horror stories associated with beardies being in the same viv.

Everyone here has witnessed or knows of horrible outcomes when multiple bearded dragons are housed together. We tend to stay on the side of caution and highly support not housing them together.

I know it is hard to separate from a loved one, but you have to think of the bearded dragon and the quality of life you can provide.

If you do keep them together, please observe them closely. Any abnormal behavior, separate them ASAP. Things to look for are dominance over the basking spot, one not eating salad or crickets, one cowering in the corner. Here is the link to our article on housing multiple dragons together?

Housing Multiple Bearded Dragons Together

The issue is that this person has already stated an in-ability to house these 2 males in appropriate separate enclosures due to financial reason. Which is understandable. Problem is if the person can not afford to house them properly than I am certain this person will most likely not be able to afford the vet care that will come from one of these guys getting maimed by the other.

To Inky

Can you afford the lighting and fixtures for a second setup? You can use a large sterlite bin (I would suggest 110 qt size) could be purchased for a tank so long as you can afford the appropriate lighting for the animal. These can be found at places such as walmart for around 10 bux a pop.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just want to add that this Spring my normally sweet male Beardies have gone crazy!!! Petrie who is the Gentle Giant of the 3,has jumped out of his enclosure and run lickety split over to Rainbows enclosure and tried to tear him to pieces if he could have gotten to him!! Rainbows reaction was to try to attack and bite him throught the plexi!!! I cannot imagine the damage these two would have done to each other if they were not separate. Not worth the risk. If you can't afford to keep him best that you find a safe home for him. :)

inky22

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
am not saying am gunna keep them together am just saying at the mo they like each other ave alot of friends that can help me get the stuff i need because most of them keep bearded dragons. i have been told off everyone here that there not social animals they cant live together then i here off other forum they are social they can live together then the pet shop i go to every week they say i can my friends keep them together and they are soical. am not gunna house them together when the time rite. and vet bills i get free. i live in a bedsit which is 1 big room i dont have the space for another viv even if i could afford 1 there not cheap but i have a friend that makes them. i come on here for adive not to b bullied my dragons are happy and healthy and get all the food and care they need. am gunna take each day as it comes with MY dragons ok

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No one intended to bully you. Everyone was just concerned about the dragons. Everyone here cares about them a great deal and does not want to see anything happen to them, especially if it is something that can be avoided. It was not implying that you do not care for them properly, we all have seen the pictures and see they are healthy and happy. We were just saying if you can not house them separately then you many want to find one a new home as heart breaking as it is. They are getting to the age and time year when things can quickly get out of control and they could hurt each other. You posted a problem and people replied to the problem. I know how hard it is to get rid of an animal, I had to get rid of my Bassett Hound b/c my husband and I worked long hours and in turn he become protective of the food bowl, his nose would bleed from trying to get out of his cage. We found him a new home where the wife stayed home and the last update we received was his food aggression was gone. He did not destroy the house when left alone and most important he was safe and happy. That is all that was being said, if you can't afford or don't have space for another viv then you should do what is best for them not you.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
AWWW INKY!!! I know how confusing it can be with all the information out there it's hard to know who to trust!! I shared my story because I saw first hand just how aggressive they can be. The trouble with the internet is you can only see words and now how the person is saying them and I sometimes misunderstand just what a person is trying to say. We have all made our mistakes and suffered for them. If I can help someone from making the same mistake and keep them from some heartache I will humbly admit it and share it!! We do care about you and your critters!!! Sorry if we upset you!!! : )

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well said, Vesta. By no means was I trying to bully you. If you feel that you were being bullied and not given honest, straight forward advice, please contact me and I will address it. My philosophy with the forum is that anything is possible and their are exceptions to every rule. Yes, you have friends that house beardies together successfully. And yes there are horror stories about housing bearded dragons together. I know that I tend to stay on the side of caution and not risk the horror coming to fruition.

Everyone here is very passionate about the care of bearded dragons. No one has the right to dictate what you should or shouldn't do. All we can do is offer advice based on experience and your circumstance. And then you will need to decide what advice you will listen to. That is kind of how this site started. It was our notepad for jotting down our notes based on the conflicting care we read. We weeded out what we thought was accurate and what we thought was bad advice.

As far as beardies being social, it is my understanding that they are social with their humans and not with other bearded dragons.

So, I hope that you will understand what everyone is trying to say. Housing multiple beardies together is getting to be as controversial as substrate. I'm not a supporter of it, but it is your choice to decide what is best for your dragons.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
inky22 said:
am not saying am gunna keep them together am just saying at the mo they like each other ave alot of friends that can help me get the stuff i need because most of them keep bearded dragons. i have been told off everyone here that there not social animals they cant live together then i here off other forum they are social they can live together then the pet shop i go to every week they say i can my friends keep them together and they are soical. am not gunna house them together when the time rite. and vet bills i get free. i live in a bedsit which is 1 big room i dont have the space for another viv even if i could afford 1 there not cheap but i have a friend that makes them. i come on here for adive not to b bullied my dragons are happy and healthy and get all the food and care they need. am gunna take each day as it comes with MY dragons ok

No one bullied you. Everyone gave you the appropriate advice and tried to help you. You think it is bullying you because we are not condoning your incorrect housing of these animals. Everything is not ok and they are not happy if one is assaulting or has assaulted the other. I will not post on your thread any longer as I do not want to say something I will end up regretting. You and your animals have a wonderful time doing whatever you see fit. ::)

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I don't mean to keep this thread going but I just need to say one more thing and I am sorry if it offends!!! I think he's right to question and question and question!! I know that when I first started having problems with Yo, everywhere I looked there was different information. I wasn't sure where to turn for help and some of the information I got from another forum would have killed him. I couldn't even trust the vets I was going to to give me the help he needed. Inky may have just needed to hear that his Beardies needed to be separated as many times as he needed to hear it until it sunk in. And he came to that same conclusion.

Somebody out there was telling him that we were nuts. They have kept thier beardies together and nothing has happened to them. So he was looking to us for another opinion. Which he got. I am not one to accept what anyone was says just because they say so. That's why I shared my story about Petries aggression. Everybodies different in the way they process information!! Hopefully Newbies will keep coming on asking questions and finding out what works best for them.

This is probably such an emotional time for him because he knows that if they are both males. One of them have to go. Who would want to make that kind of a decision? So he reacted to some of those well meaning words in an emotional way
which he probably wouldn't have under other circumatances. (been there, done that) Let's give him a break!!! :-*

Latest posts