• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

gunna start becoming a breeder but i need some more professional advice

alivia werner

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
im just starting out my breeding hobbie at 16 hoping and working hard to make it into a small successful bussiness eventually, so if any one has some absolute dos and donts id appreciate them. Id also feel so luck if any other breeeders on here would be willling to maybe donating dragons or supplies for really cheap that would be amazing! My grandmother used to breed some cockatiels in an 8 ft tall x 8 ft long x 4 ft wide aviary that she is giving to me now to convert into multiple layered cages of various sizes for all the different purposes (babies cages, brumation boxes, feeding areas, nest boxes, and breeder areas etc) and all also convert a smaller parrot cage into a quarantine area. I live in Florida where itll all b out side providing natural light cycles which ive been told should boost thier health and color. I have a regular vet. I am currently geting most of my financial support from my mother and grand parents and am looking to get a part time job to start it up but im hoping that they will be able to make up for most of the costs by its self. i am also working on a very large garden that will provide a majority of thier greens. Currently i only have my two starter dragons my large regular natural male and my apparently citrus tiger female, i am going to start burchasing dragons in july after i have all my supplies and cages set up ive looked at thousands of dragons on the internet from hundreds of great breeders so im supper hyped to get this going its all i think about any more. Ive been doing my research but still want more info help and support. Some questions ive thought about for now which im sure ill be posting more are ; what is usually the outcome of breeding a normal phase dragon with a colored or morph dragon, are normal breeders helpful to your breeding stock (post pics please of some normal x color dragons),,,,, also at what size and weight would it be safe to breed a female,,, if you dont know a dragons bloodlines what do you post it as?,,,how do you figure a babies percentage of genetics and what it is when you cross dragons (i.e. when people put het 20% blaa bla blaa n 80% blaa blaa blaa and this and that) i am lost when it comes to these things. thank you anyone and every one for any support.!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've often toyed with the idea of becoming a breeder. Most of the breeders I talk to suggest spending a significant amount of time with a select few animals. Maybe start off with your pair and one other, and perfect their living arrangements. I was told that once you can get a pair to consistently produce healthy, fertile eggs, it's best to take detailed notes on their temps, food, care, weight, etc so you can refer back to it if you ever have any issues.
If I were you, I'd get a log book, and your pair of dragons and get them to produce a few clutches, then take on another pair until they're happy as clams. Then another... then another...
This method seems least risky and least expensive, to me anyway. Just my $0.02

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My wife starts at 8am with our Dragons and its 4:36pm and she is still working on them this is an everyday hobby can’t go on vacations can’t leave for more than a day. Now let’s talk about when something goes wrong and you need a Vet be ready to drop a bunch of money at any given time.
I am not trying to discourage you, but to make the money some of people you see selling there Dragons at you have to establish yourself and spend lots of money I have close to 40,000 in all my dragons and supplies and that’s not much when some I purchased where 600$ and now you can buy dragons for 25$
Good Luck keep us posted

alivia werner

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
thank you lots and yep ive got my established vet and hes great with prices im lookin at all my senarios im trying to take it slow but im getting so excited
also as far as my questions dose any one have answers about breedin normal and colored dragons and all the questions following

Latest posts