• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gravid bearded dragon turning black

Becky99

Bearded Dragon Egg
Id get her to a vet so they can do an xray(to see if shes eggbound) , by week 3 since mating you should feel eggs and she should be showing signs of laying , black bearding isnt a good sign :/ she could just be really unhappy, I wouldn’t if i had hard eggs in my trackway.
I have talked to the vet but today she is digging again but every time I walk into the room she stops and then begins digging again when I have walked out of the room, she doesn’t have a black beard today

Becky99

Bearded Dragon Egg
She is in distress -- please get her into the ER vet
www.arav.org
I have talked to the vet but today she is digging again but every time I walk into the room she stops and then begins digging again when I have walked out of the room, she doesn’t have a black beard today.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I have talked to the vet but today she is digging again but every time I walk into the room she stops and then begins digging again when I have walked out of the room, she doesn’t have a black beard today
And you dont feel eggs? :/ id think by week 3 there should be something to feel, id put a towel over enclosure and check on her hourly, don’t disturb her just peak, let her do her business, I wouldn’t let this behavior go on much longer without a professionals opinion. Being egg bound can be very serious

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey!
My 2 year old bearded dragon girl mated with a boy two weeks ago, a couple of days ago she started digging like crazy and is almost never sitting still in her cage she has also stopped eating. She also wakes up hours before the light turns on and starts digging and is digging for quite a while after the light goes off. Is this normal behaviour so early after mating? Also just before the mating and the first week she ate a lot of food and went about 15 grams up in weight, I weighted her today and she had lost all this weight she has gained, is this also normal?
YES she is getting ready to lay eggs. It’s a lot of preparation. Get a lay box a white container those the tubs they sell at depot or Lowe’s at least 3by3by3 & mix play sams amd organic soil with little to no fertilizer and mix with lots of water till it’s dog able like sandcastle sand so she can dig a hole. Place her somewhere quiet in that tub with a little cardboard to cover 1/2 of so it’s semi dark so she can lay her eggs. After she lays she will cover it up after she’s completely done them pull herself out and give her a bath for 15min & lots of water, proteins and she will needs lots lof repcal calcium powder; u will up it for two weeks once per day and herptivite once per week on a non calcium day & lots & lots of protein alongside the everyday plate of greens/veggies; mustard greens, yellow squash, butternut squash, snap peas, endives. And lots of water. When they lay they get dehydrated, depleted of all their nutrients & calcium and need lots of water, calcium and proteins. Crickets and Dubia roaches & of over a year old add some hornworms as treats & superworms. Also Google a Gravid Beardie & making a lay box. Also handling those eggs is a lot of wrk u need to keep them under a heat lamp etc. If not skilled call a Breeder and give them the box of eggs but they need to be warm at 85 I believe pleaee google.