• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gravid bearded dragon turning black

Becky99

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey!
My 2 year old bearded dragon girl mated with a boy two weeks ago, a couple of days ago she started digging like crazy and is almost never sitting still in her cage she has also stopped eating. She also wakes up hours before the light turns on and starts digging and is digging for quite a while after the light goes off. Is this normal behaviour so early after mating? Also just before the mating and the first week she ate a lot of food and went about 15 grams up in weight, I weighted her today and she had lost all this weight she has gained, is this also normal?

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey!
My 2 year old bearded dragon girl mated with a boy two weeks ago, a couple of days ago she started digging like crazy and is almost never sitting still in her cage she has also stopped eating. She also wakes up hours before the light turns on and starts digging and is digging for quite a while after the light goes off. Is this normal behaviour so early after mating? Also just before the mating and the first week she ate a lot of food and went about 15 grams up in weight, I weighted her today and she had lost all this weight she has gained, is this also normal?
100% I think she is gravid please put a sand box in there right away and wait for other people to respond I’m not 100% if it only takes two weeks so wait for some others people

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Is there eggs in the enclosure? She could of reabsorbed the eggs :( , get her a dig box with a 60-40 blend of sand and potting soil, get it damp not wet not moist , damp, make shure she has 3-6 inches she can dig in (it should take up a good bit of her enclosure) a lid on it would help too, its normal for them to go off food don’t worry she’s probably not gonna eat much, do offer her calcium dusted bugs almost every day she needs all the extra nutrients she can get.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If ur certain she locked up with ur boy beardie, Id go out and buy a couple 10- 20 gallons enclosures, at most she can have 30 babies at least 5-10 , the second you feel eggs in her tummy (rub very very very gently) id get an incubator type setup goin, make shure if/when she has eggs that they’re orientation of how they were laid doesn’t get messed up or changed, if an egg is laid a certain way put a teeny tiny black dot on the top of it so it DOESNT get turned, you dont want eggs rolling or turning, congratulations if she is preggers :)

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If ur certain she locked up with ur boy beardie, Id go out and buy a couple 10- 20 gallons enclosures, at most she can have 30 babies at least 5-10 , the second you feel eggs in her tummy (rub very very very gently) id get an incubator type setup goin, make shure if/when she has eggs that they’re orientation of how they were laid doesn’t get messed up or changed, if an egg is laid a certain way put a teeny tiny black dot on the top of it so it DOESNT get turned, you dont want eggs rolling or turning, congratulations if she is preggers :)
Oh ya. And for the fisrt part of the babies life’s you can put them together. But be just be carful because I have heard stories of babies thinking tails are food and biting of tails

edit: not to scare you or anything

Becky99

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is there eggs in the enclosure? She could of reabsorbed the eggs :( , get her a dig box with a 60-40 blend of sand and potting soil, get it damp not wet not moist , damp, make shure she has 3-6 inches she can dig in (it should take up a good bit of her enclosure) a lid on it would help too, its normal for them to go off food don’t worry she’s probably not gonna eat much, do offer her calcium dusted bugs almost every day she needs all the extra nutrients she can get.
There is no eggs in the enclosure and I also can’t feel and see no eggs. She has a dig box she just won’t use it yet and keeps digging in her cage, I have tried giving her bugs with calcium but she is just not interested at all

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
There is no eggs in the enclosure and I also can’t feel and see no eggs. She has a dig box she just won’t use it yet and keeps digging in her cage, I have tried giving her bugs with calcium but she is just not interested at all
Is she black bearding at all? Or just restless ? Different information sources say 3-6 weeks after mateing, just monitor her weight keep a log, keep offering food, she might not like the dig box your offering, may we see a picture?

Becky99

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey
My beareded dragon mated with a male for just over 2 weeks ago almost 3 but she has been digging like crazy the past week but today all she has been doing today is laying in a corner and have turned black. Is this something I should worry about, I know they are not supposed to lay eggs before week 4-6 but idk.

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
Hey
My beareded dragon mated with a male for just over 2 weeks ago almost 3 but she has been digging like crazy the past week but today all she has been doing today is laying in a corner and have turned black. Is this something I should worry about, I know they are not supposed to lay eggs before week 4-6 but idk.
is the husbandry in her tank up to par? is she eating/pooping? does she look swollen (belly)

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
She is two years old and the temperatures are around 30 Celsius
Her basking are should be around 90-95 Fahrenheit (32 to 35 C). The cooler side should be 80-90 Fahrenheit (26 to 32C). Night time it should not go lower than 70 F (21C)

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
She is two years old and the temperatures are around 30 Celsius
So if she is not cold and the reason she is hiding to try to find a spot to absorb heat, she could be getting ready to lay. Do you have a lay box for her? If you don't - she will black beard ..be upset

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
Her basking are should be around 90-95 Fahrenheit (32 to 35 C). The cooler side should be 80-90 Fahrenheit (26 to 32C). Night time it should not go lower than 70 F (21C)
Humidity levels in her tank should be between 20-50% and ideally from 30-40% is the best.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Id get her to a vet so they can do an xray(to see if shes eggbound) , by week 3 since mating you should feel eggs and she should be showing signs of laying , black bearding isnt a good sign :/ she could just be really unhappy, I wouldn’t if i had hard eggs in my trackway.

Becky99

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is she black bearding at all? Or just restless ? Different information sources say 3-6 weeks after mateing, just monitor her weight keep a log, keep offering food, she might not like the dig box your offering, may we see a picture?
She turned black beard today, she just stopped digging and has been laying in a corner with black beard ever since