• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Going to be a new Bearded Dragon parent, Southeast Michigan.....need advise on where???

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Nothing in my area like that.
I would drive. I would search all nearby large cities and drive 5 hours each way to get this because it's just too expensive to have a beardie without it. And if still nothing, I would hunt Craigslist new postings daily till I found it.
Man, raising roaches......my wife will lose it!!
Well, you can raise superworms; I do that too but it's not really profitable and it's more work.

You can also keep them covered in their bin in the basement so your wife won't have to deal with them.

Otherwise, you can expect to shell out some serious money because man, a bearded dragon can eat, and all expensive protein too. Crickets are 10 for $1 at the petshop and a big juvy will have 50 a day easy. Hornworms/silkworms are even more expensive and you might feed the lizard single meals that are more expensive than what a person would expect to pay to eat at MacDonalds.

I do believe you can sustain a beardie on cooked shrimp dusted with calcium and vitamins (a theory I was gonna test out until I found that throwaway-priced mega colony of Dubia I got) but he might not eat it and you may have to hand-feed, which is a tedious process.

A bearded dragon's diet is the most challenging aspect of raising it so it is very much worth it to spend time optimizing a convenient and cheap routine because otherwise, the lizard will become an unwanted pain in no time.

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
I would drive. I would search all nearby large cities and drive 5 hours each way to get this because it's just too expensive to have a beardie without it. And if still nothing, I would hunt Craigslist new postings daily till I found it.

Well, you can raise superworms; I do that too but it's not really profitable and it's more work.

You can also keep them covered in their bin in the basement so your wife won't have to deal with them.

Otherwise, you can expect to shell out some serious money because man, a bearded dragon can eat, and all expensive protein too. Crickets are 10 for $1 at the petshop and a big juvy will have 50 a day easy. Hornworms/silkworms are even more expensive and you might feed the lizard single meals that are more expensive than what a person would expect to pay to eat at MacDonalds.

I do believe you can sustain a beardie on cooked shrimp dusted with calcium and vitamins (a theory I was gonna test out until I found that throwaway-priced mega colony of Dubia I got) but he might not eat it and you may have to hand-feed, which is a tedious process.

A bearded dragon's diet is the most challenging aspect of raising it so it is very much worth it to spend time optimizing a convenient and cheap routine because otherwise, the lizard will become an unwanted pain in no time.
I'm definitly going to start searching! My wife puts up with my saltwater habit, so I'm sure I could sell her on roaches as well!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I second the roach colony, i got a tub of discoids and they’re very prolific, the types of roaches we recommend wont , cant , infest ur house they take months to breed, need good conditions, and lots of food and protein.

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
I'm definitly going to start searching! My wife puts up with my saltwater habit, so I'm sure I could sell her on roaches as well!
I agree with the roach colony as well with my petshop by me I'll spend 20 dollars a week for crickets alone that's not including super worms so I would definitely invest in the roaches

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
My rankin arrived safe and sound yesterday. He devoured dubia roaches and crickets, explored his new enclosure and passed out around 10pm last might. Little guy was still crashed this morning. Saw some poop as well......is it normal for him to sleep so long?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
My rankin arrived safe and sound yesterday. He devoured dubia roaches and crickets, explored his new enclosure and passed out around 10pm last might. Little guy was still crashed this morning. Saw some poop as well......is it normal for him to sleep so long?
Everything so far is good, he is eating and pooping.

As far as sleeping, make sure hes on a light cycle, 12 hours on 12 hours off. It should be complete darkness no uvb or heating. If your afraid it will get too cold in Michigan (im in ohio) try a ceramic heat emitter. It produces heat but no light.

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon

As far as sleeping, make sure hes on a light cycle, 12 hours on 12 hours off. It should be complete darkness no uvb or heating. If your afraid it will get too cold in Michigan (im in ohio) try a ceramic heat emitter. It produces heat but no light.
Got it; I have him on a 12/12 cycle and being our house is currently around 65 at night, we have an underglass heater in his middle zone.

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon

Thanks for the reply!

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
Just a quick update, he's eating well, both veggies and roaches... Found that the bug Shed has 200 roaches for 13 bucks... they're the perfect size for my little guy and he loves them! Just wish he would like to be held more. We been working with him but he's still very unsure....

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
0E322CB7-F499-49A3-ACF0-54E0BAB7C1EC.jpeg

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Just a quick update, he's eating well, both veggies and roaches... Found that the bug Shed has 200 roaches for 13 bucks... they're the perfect size for my little guy and he loves them! Just wish he would like to be held more. We been working with him but he's still very unsure....
Start hand feeding him now while hes little! He will be crazy for the bugs since hes suppose to be eating 80% insects any how. Hand feeding helps a lot :). And he is really little, they calm down a bit as they mature.

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
Start hand feeding him now while hes little! He will be crazy for the bugs since hes suppose to be eating 80% insects any how. Hand feeding helps a lot :). And he is really little, they calm down a bit as they mature.
He loves the smaller roaches! Wont take them out of my hand yet