• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Going to be a new Bearded Dragon parent, Southeast Michigan.....need advise on where???

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
Good morning everyone! My name is Tom and I'm in the market for a Bearded Dragon for my 13 year old daughter. I'm in Southeast Michigan and I'm looking for a good local family Pet Store to purchase from.....any suggestions? The first one I've been too, (I won't dog anyone's store), really rubbed me wrong.

I've kept Green Iguanas in the the past but that's really the extent to my reptile keeping. I've been caring for a Salt Water reef for the past 14 years of my life and still have my original pair of breeding Clown fish, they're about 13 years old! We have three daughters, a dog and cat. Why not add a Bearded Dragon to the mix!

Really looking for suggestions for purchase and any pointers people can offer. I've also been reading a lot and will continue too.
Looking forward to chatting. Thanks for reading

Tom - Northville, MI

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum tom :) , tbh id order online if i were you, ur gonna have a hard time finding a good source in ur state, ive ordered two geckos from “morph market” its a website that connects you right to the breeders, they have TONS! Of bearded dragons, id recommend a leather back bearded dragon for your daughter, they’re less spiky :)

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
Welcome to the forum tom :) , tbh id order online if i were you, ur gonna have a hard time finding a good source in ur state, ive ordered two geckos from “morph market” its a website that connects you right to the breeders, they have TONS! Of bearded dragons, id recommend a leather back bearded dragon for your daughter, they’re less spiky :)
Thank you! Wow, that site is crazy! Never would of thought you could order a Dragon online.....who am I kidding you can order anything online these days!

ksbye

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good morning everyone! My name is Tom and I'm in the market for a Bearded Dragon for my 13 year old daughter. I'm in Southeast Michigan and I'm looking for a good local family Pet Store to purchase from.....any suggestions? The first one I've been too, (I won't dog anyone's store), really rubbed me wrong.

I've kept Green Iguanas in the the past but that's really the extent to my reptile keeping. I've been caring for a Salt Water reef for the past 14 years of my life and still have my original pair of breeding Clown fish, they're about 13 years old! We have three daughters, a dog and cat. Why not add a Bearded Dragon to the mix!

Really looking for suggestions for purchase and any pointers people can offer. I've also been reading a lot and will continue too.
Looking forward to chatting. Thanks for reading

Tom - Northville, MI

So I've almost finished my first term off at school and will be going home fo
That means Milo will also be coming home with me. I have to ship him since no airline will allow him to fly with me, and I'm starting to worry a little. I just have these fears of him not making it or something going wrong during the shipping process. So I was hoping to hear the advice or feedback from you guys who have shipped your beardies, and how they handled it.

Also, I've been doing a lot of research and plan on ordering a shipping kit, though I don't know what size would be best for him. He's full grown at about 18 inches, and I was wondering if this size would be good http://shipyourreptiles.com/shop/shipping_kits_1-5/product/snake_shipping_kit_3/ . I know you don't want them to move much during shipping so I'm unsure if that's too much, not big enough.... etc. I planned on packing him the way I've seen it online- put inside the cloth bag with packing peanuts/newspaper, heat pack wrapped up, couple of air holes, heavily taped, etc. The weather from California to Texas is somewhat similar (40's at night or so) so a heat pack would be a must. I THINK I've got that part down... but now I need help deciding the best box for him. I want him to be comfy but I don't want him having enough space to shift around or get hurt when his box is handled. As far as shipping goes, I just planned on making the label through Shipyourreptiles and will try to drop him off as late in the day as possible at FedEx so he spends less time in the box. He'll be overnight shipped so he should arrive to me by 10 a.m., which means no more than 16 hours in the box hopefully. I'm hoping he just sleeps the entire way since he's starting to show signs of brumation, so maybe that'll help reduce any stress.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! Wow, that site is crazy! Never would of thought you could order a Dragon online.....who am I kidding you can order anything online these days!
Its definitely where you want to get a dragon from :) , Just something to maybe keep in mind, the more genes/“morphology” the more breeding and possibly “back breeding” they have done, i personally would go with a orange dragon, as those arnt bred as much as reds and yellows are , dont get too stuck on a certain colors, the dragon is gonna change color throughout its life , try to go for cool patterning as that will stay with the baby throughout its life :) and if i can make one recommendation, try to buy from a breeder closer to your state, lots of bad things can happen in long transitions, show us who you pick out!

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you!!! I appreicate the help! There are some beauties on that site, I agree with transit times, long travels for these little guys must be tough!

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
I really think the local breeder is back breeding her Dragons. There are some babies that are missing feet, tails, etc. Is that normal for Dragons? I remember once an iguana I had dropped its tail, freaked me out! Wasnt sure if thats the same for these guys.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I really think the local breeder is back breeding her Dragons. There are some babies that are missing feet, tails, etc. Is that normal for Dragons? I remember once an iguana I had dropped its tail, freaked me out! Wasnt sure if thats the same for these guys.
No thats not normal, They’re probably getting the dragons from bad breeders and they themselves just put all the babies together and they nip at each other. Bearded dragons are one of the most abused pets out there. Please make sure your lighting system is up and running, regardless if you have good decor, you want that baby to have a good start with proper temps and uvb, This is how much my dragon has changed colors btw.

Attachments

• C8F18734-D0BE-4185-A299-336A2F0B674F.jpeg
    C8F18734-D0BE-4185-A299-336A2F0B674F.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 321CDCE6-0570-4DC6-AF92-9EB833D63D11.jpeg
    321CDCE6-0570-4DC6-AF92-9EB833D63D11.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 7E326599-E798-4A5C-90CE-84F26E6C8BE0.jpeg
    7E326599-E798-4A5C-90CE-84F26E6C8BE0.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 60602595-786E-491C-B02C-2FEE0A687701.jpeg
    60602595-786E-491C-B02C-2FEE0A687701.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
That's what I thought, and based on the owners personality....I'm not surprised their nipping at each other!

She's gorgeous! What type of dragon?

For lighting this site has already educated me a lot! Coming from raising Salt Water Fish and Corals, I know the importance of the right lights for my creatures! It will be thought out and not skimped on!

Really appreciate the reply!

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
So my foot print for the enclosure, is 40" Wide x 20". Looking at them would love the Zen but the size is going to be too much for the space. Thoughts? Saw this and thought it might fit the bill.

REPTI ZOO Reptile Glass Terrarium,Double Hinge Door with Screen Ventilation Reptile Terrarium 36" x 18" x 18"​

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My dragon was a petco rescue so i dont know her excact morphology, they were labled “fancy” basically meaning they either have some color or are “hypo” =clear nails and more pastel looking colors, she’s definitely more light orange than she is yellow, and she Definitely has german giant genes in her, 635 grams isn’t normal lol…. I tried looking up the enclosure ur referencing and i got a couple different results, in my opinion they need a minimum of a 75-90 gallon enclosure (favoring floor space rather than height) i think a 36x18x18 is a 50 gallom but not 100% sure, an adult bearded dragons
can not go into 40 gallons , bearly enough room to turn around in , this is what a 40 gallon breeder enclosure looks like compared to the zen habitat 120 gallon, you dont need a huge enclosure, i think a 80 gallon would be just fine, i kept my dragon in the 40 gallon for maybe 6-8 months? And then switched her out about a year ago. Tbh though she free roams outside on our deck, so its just a set piece……

Attachments

• 8301317D-3F86-4212-B1B0-FC1FA7B21D6B.png
    8301317D-3F86-4212-B1B0-FC1FA7B21D6B.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 28DADF15-D9CB-40A7-84CC-BD68C38E6D23.jpeg
    28DADF15-D9CB-40A7-84CC-BD68C38E6D23.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 7
  • 8E40915D-9EA1-4433-9DE0-6BF7AFEE7C13.jpeg
    8E40915D-9EA1-4433-9DE0-6BF7AFEE7C13.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 81D56429-71F9-4DFF-B836-402AAC6DFE4B.jpeg
    81D56429-71F9-4DFF-B836-402AAC6DFE4B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 278E0132-A03B-427F-9964-6F08A0A8BFE9.jpeg
    278E0132-A03B-427F-9964-6F08A0A8BFE9.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
Damn shes a big girl! Definitly looking for a baby first and if he/she out grows the enclosure I'll just "sell" the wife on a new one......problem solved! For now the foot print is all I have, time will tell.....Thanks again for all the advise and pictures shes gorgeous!

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
I love it!
I recommend adopting one from your local Craigslist. It takes care of an unwanted animal and the price you pay will be insanely lower than if you were to buy a special morph from a breeder. Also, adoptions usually come with all the equipment you need while breeder purchases do not and those things are very numerous and add up very quickly to several hundred dollars (unless your're very budget and MacGuyver like me). The beardie in my profile pic is a hypo orange something that would have been a pretty expensive purchase had I not gotten him for $50 on Craigslist. If no great deals are available (under $100 depending on morph for the dragon and free-$200 depending on how fancy his enclosure and other stuff are), I'd just wait cus they pop up all the time. No need to spend $500-$700 with someone who wants to abandon his pet and get all his money back too. It's an adoption fee, not an exotic animal purchase.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Concurrently, I'd immediately start hunting for an already established large Dubia colony within 2-3 hours drive from you on Craigslist for $100 or less because starting a colony from a breeder pack takes 12-18 months and live feeders for the beardie are very very expensive. If no good deals are available, wait or drive further with an expanded search to your nearest large cities, but don't settle for some breeder packs shipped to you. Because you'd be wasting 18 months time and hundreds of dollars in feeder costs to save a few hours drive time.

03sonicstang

Hatchling Dragon
Concurrently, I'd immediately start hunting for an already established large Dubia colony within 2-3 hours drive from you on Craigslist for $100 or less because starting a colony from a breeder pack takes 12-18 months and live feeders for the beardie are very very expensive. If no good deals are available, wait or drive further with an expanded search to your nearest large cities, but don't settle for some breeder packs shipped to you. Because you'd be wasting 18 months time and hundreds of dollars in feeder costs to save a few hours drive time.
I found a place that sells, "Dubia roaches by the cup are available. Pre cupped and ready to feed" .......is that enough to establish a colony?

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
I found a place that sells, "Dubia roaches by the cup are available. Pre cupped and ready to feed" .......is that enough to establish a colony?
This is exactly what will result in a 12-18 month effort to establish a colony. If you're lucky, you may find a beardie for adoption that comes with a Dubia colony. That's rare. What you need is an ad that says:

"Dubia colony available in a 50 gallon tub. Thousands in there, teeming with breeding adults. Can't even count. Eggcrates, under-tank heating pad, tub, all equipment needed are included. $100 get it out of here; I'm done with reptiles!"

That's how I got my colony overnight. Now I sell feeders off of it, basically brings in $200+ a month and it feeds my beardie for free. I just gotta feed it stale clearance bread, bulk carrots, and $6 per 16 pound Aldi cat food.

Latest posts