• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fruits and veggies

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Have you tried bee pollen? Apple juice sprayed on the veggies? Ive tried everything listed above and my beardie still doesn’t eat salads, i have to heavily gut load my bugs as a result, she’ll eat like one flower or leaf of something, but its always one bite,

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Brain fart from last post. I meant to say:
Finally. After four appointments with three different vets over the course of at least 5 months my Kylo finally ate something other than live feeders. Of all foods he ate raisins. I’ve tried all sorts of mixtures like silk worms with blueberries and cactus with Phoenix worms and bearded dragon salad dressing with various fruits and veggies. I can go on and on. I’m a bit relieved but I’d like to get my dragon to eat a more diverse pallet of fruits and veggies. If you have any experience with getting your beardie to eat please chime in. Thanks. Wish me luck.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
You mentioned de wormer was she put on meds w / out doing a fecal to determine if she even had them? Please tell me NO -- meds effect appetite and w/ her not eating the veggies but only insects tells me she is a normal dragon -- alot of them will not eat salads ----- but to just put them on meds for no proof of what is going on is WRONG!!!! Is she picking the worms etc out of the salads and just eating them? If so that is normal ----- I just read they did put her on antibiotics and a de wormer -- what was prescribed? Panacur or Albon? Raisins are not a good feeder --- way too much sugar -- you want her eating leafy greens -- you can try some Reptaboost to see if that helps or maybe some Repashy Grub pie ----

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Have you tried bee pollen? Apple juice sprayed on the veggies? Ive tried everything listed above and my beardie still doesn’t eat salads, i have to heavily gut load my bugs as a result, she’ll eat like one flower or leaf of something, but its always one bite,
I actually just tried feeding him bee pollen today with no results yet. I’ll try feeding him applesauce tomorrow.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
You mentioned de wormer was she put on meds w / out doing a fecal to determine if she even had them? Please tell me NO -- meds effect appetite and w/ her not eating the veggies but only insects tells me she is a normal dragon -- alot of them will not eat salads ----- but to just put them on meds for no proof of what is going on is WRONG!!!! Is she picking the worms etc out of the salads and just eating them? If so that is normal ----- I just read they did put her on antibiotics and a de wormer -- what was prescribed? Panacur or Albon? Raisins are not a good feeder --- way too much sugar -- you want her eating leafy greens -- you can try some Reptaboost to see if that helps or maybe some Repashy Grub pie ----
The vet I most recently saw seemed to be trustworthy. She knew of impaction, and bathing when my beardie sheds and did a fecal exam. And she determined he's male. The basics of dragon husbandry. She prescribed Metronidazole and Ponazuril for a condition known as Coccidia. I’ll be starting my Kylo on her meds tomorrow. The first vets I brought him to didn’t even seem to know of impaction or knowledge enough to do a fecal exam.

yeah, she totally avoids the veggies and fruits and feasts on the worms. I’ve tried phoenix, silk, meal,super, wax, mixed with numerous combinations of fruits and veggies.

In addition I tried the treats below and he won’t eat them either.thanks much.
06A8DE5B-D6DC-468A-A959-D419D39DAF00.jpeg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yea i tried the beardie treats aswell, they only eat moving things lol, i was watching a video the other day i think it was “camp kenen” on YouTube, and he had a black throat monitor that was a little lethargic and he gave it this, have you tried it? It might make him crave the veggies? Idk ive never used it or had a problem with my girl being ravenous during meal time.

Attachments

• 020BD61C-E6D8-493A-947B-99D23ADA9D5B.jpeg
    020BD61C-E6D8-493A-947B-99D23ADA9D5B.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 4
  • 0C427E08-6BC8-40DE-B8DF-6A97807B9415.jpeg
    0C427E08-6BC8-40DE-B8DF-6A97807B9415.jpeg
    951.4 KB · Views: 4

Nero

Juvenile Dragon
Beardie Club
Hello, figured I’d start a new thread with this. My dragon isn’t eating any fruits and veggies. I’m worried that if she doesn’t it them now she never will. I’ve tried all different kinds of veggies and salads. For a while she was eating cactus but not lately. any help will be great. Thanks much.
try putting some live food on it, they might accidently grab some veggies in the process and will adjust to eating veggies.

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I wouldn’t worry too much as my Bearded dragon is now 16 years old and hardly ever eats veg.
Crickets, locusts and meal worms is the only thing he eats apart from a bit of lettuce now and then.
Hey, I’ve never tried locusts before. Anyone you’d recommend who sells them?
Yea i tried the beardie treats aswell, they only eat moving things lol, i was watching a video the other day i think it was “camp kenen” on YouTube, and he had a black throat monitor that was a little lethargic and he gave it this, have you tried it? It might make him crave the veggies? Idk ive never used it or had a problem with my girl being ravenous during meal time.
my beardie only eats live food too. He doesn’t eat anything freeze dried

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If it helps a lot of the time young beardies will not eat veggies because their diet should be mostly protein. My Starbucks refused to touch veggies until he was around 7-8 months old now he can’t get enough of his collard greens and butternut squash. Before that I just fed him healthy feeders 3 times a day and he grew like a weed, I think he’s around 24 inches now at a year and a half old. Even my vet said this is normal if they deter veggies at a young age, it’s kinda like having a toddler that refuses to eat their veggies. From birth to a year old beardies grow to be something like 200x their size which you can imagine takes a lot of energy to do and that’s why their diet is composed mostly of protein. Honestly it’s ok if you forgo giving him any veggies for a few more months, I’d just try and give him a salad every 2 weeks and see if he’ll eat it. When you do give him the salad for the green portion give him romaine lettuce. It’s not a staple green at all but a couple rescuers I know do this when they first get a beardie in. Because of its mild taste they are more likely to eat their veggies and not dislike them. A lot of healthy greens for them have a really bitter taste and if they aren’t use to it you’ll get a picky eater really quickly. If he eats his those veggies the first day than the next day you can do half romaine half healthy greens and by day 4 you can definitely cut the romaine out of his diet fully and he should have no problem eating greens. Hope this was helpful and calmed some of your nerves

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello, finally, after months of trying my beardie finally ate some blueberries and dragon food pellets. I’m totally relieved. I’ll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all your help.

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Just an update. I’ve gotten my dragon to eat squash as well. I’m totally relieved. I’ll try out different fruits and veggies to see if she’ll find them to her liking as well.peace