• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First timer baby bearded owner. Please help.

Ayee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its good ur monitoring him closely :) , in this picture its just his normal coloring, if his tail gets dark aswell then thats stress, the marks show up when they bask aswell.
I’m sorry I have a couple of more questions. I have been watching and reading a lot of things and some has helped but mostly I just have more questions after watching and reading things. 1. Can you please tell me about the sleeping/eating schedule? Like how many times a day should they be eating? What exactly should I be feeding him? His sleeping schedule when should I tell him it’s night time or time to wake up? How do I wake him up do I just switch on his lights?how long after waking him should I wait to feed him? When he’s sleeping should it be total darkness? I bought a bulb that’s supposed to be just for him to sleep.
2. I still can’t seem to get his temperature right it’s still not going to 110-115. I bought a 100w lightbulb and I also bought a ceramic heat transmitter and it still hasn’t got to the temperature I would like. I did get a new UVB light but I was told to get another one and I will be doing that.
3. Since he’s stressed what are things I should do to help him or what are things I should not do?
4. I have seen mixed opinions on this one and I just want to know where you stand. As a baby bearded dragon when you first got one did you hold him or did you leave him in his enclosure for a few weeks before you started handling him?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 26078
Another question I apologize I’m just reading different articles and it’s just creating more questions. For night time I read it should be in complete darkness but it does still need some heat so I went to pet smart and this is what they recommended. I also read that the colors can be harmful. Should I continue using this or toss it aside. I also bought a ceramic heat emitter because for some reason the temperature is still not reaching between 110-115. What are your thoughts on the ceramic heat emitter. Or why isn’t the temperature reaching up to 110-115. I also got a 100W light bulb and still not good. I was told by an employee from petsmart to pair the 100w light bulb with the ceramic heat emitter and that should be perfect instead of getting the 150w light bulb. Can you also tell me your thoughts on that.
Ok first please do not listen to the pet smart people -- their advice often leads to sick dragons as they have not a clue as to how to care for a dragon--- colored bulbs are harmful to dragons eyes - their eyes are more sensitive than ours - they have a 3rd eye so to speak on top of their heads for predators please take it back --- KEEP the heat emitter - if your tank is dropping below 65 at nite then use the heat emitter --- how are you taking the basking temp? Are you using the digital probe thermometer like I recommended to get? If you are and you placed it where he sits for basking and its not getting to the 105-110 temp then get the 150 watt and get the temp --- here is the things to hang in the tank for the UVB hood 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers--- this is the stuff I use it works really good cut it in strips its like a Velcro strap -- wrap it around the hood https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
here is the link for the bulb
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...ile-lamp-14822.html?cgid=500202-------------- please look on the fixture and see what it says for maximum wattage--- the Thrive bulb is a 15 watt and the Reptisun is a 17 watt -- I dont want you to get a bulb that the fixture cant handle -- the website says it comes in a 15 and 17 for the Reptisun -- please look at the store -- if your fixture can take the 17 get that one -- please let me know how it goes

Ayee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok first please do not listen to the pet smart people -- their advice often leads to sick dragons as they have not a clue as to how to care for a dragon--- colored bulbs are harmful to dragons eyes - their eyes are more sensitive than ours - they have a 3rd eye so to speak on top of their heads for predators please take it back --- KEEP the heat emitter - if your tank is dropping below 65 at nite then use the heat emitter --- how are you taking the basking temp? Are you using the digital probe thermometer like I recommended to get? If you are and you placed it where he sits for basking and its not getting to the 105-110 temp then get the 150 watt and get the temp --- here is the things to hang in the tank for the UVB hood 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers--- this is the stuff I use it works really good cut it in strips its like a Velcro strap -- wrap it around the hood https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
here is the link for the bulb
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...ile-lamp-14822.html?cgid=500202-------------- please look on the fixture and see what it says for maximum wattage--- the Thrive bulb is a 15 watt and the Reptisun is a 17 watt -- I dont want you to get a bulb that the fixture cant handle -- the website says it comes in a 15 and 17 for the Reptisun -- please look at the store -- if your fixture can take the 17 get that one -- please let me know how it goes
I will purchase the correct UVB light but just a clarifying question the new one you’re suggesting should be in the enclosure? Or resting on top?

Ayee

Bearded Dragon Egg
image.jpg

I did buy one I know you’re not a fan of Thrive but that’s all they had at the moment. I also purchased the temperature gun which should be coming in the mail today.

Ayee

Bearded Dragon Egg
I asked @Skybug his opinion and I would also appreciate it if you could tell me your thoughts on the questions
I’m sorry I have a couple of more questions. I have been watching and reading a lot of things and some has helped but mostly I just have more questions after watching and reading things. 1. Can you please tell me about the sleeping/eating schedule? Like how many times a day should they be eating? What exactly should I be feeding him? His sleeping schedule when should I tell him it’s night time or time to wake up? How do I wake him up do I just switch on his lights?how long after waking him should I wait to feed him? When he’s sleeping should it be total darkness? I bought a bulb that’s supposed to be just for him to sleep.
2. I still can’t seem to get his temperature right it’s still not going to 110-115. I bought a 100w lightbulb and I also bought a ceramic heat transmitter and it still hasn’t got to the temperature I would like. I did get a new UVB light but I was told to get another one and I will be doing that.
3. Since he’s stressed what are things I should do to help him or what are things I should not do?
4. I have seen mixed opinions on this one and I just want to know where you stand. As a baby bearded dragon when you first got one did you hold him or did you leave him in his enclosure for a few weeks before you started handling him?

Ayee

Bearded Dragon Egg
96CDE46E-2560-47CA-BC09-0EE337D23FE1.jpeg

Can you also tell me what you think about his health and color and anything else you can tell me? I was told he is healthy so I just want to make sure. And can you also tell me how old you think he is.

Maddie_Flick

Bearded Dragon Egg
View attachment 26072
I am new to being a baby bearded dragon owner. I have been reading a lot of forums and watching a lot of YouTube videos. This is the first time I have seen his underbelly. I’ve seen in a couple videos that if the bearded dragon has black lines underneath he is unhappy or something else is wrong. Can someone please tell me what’s going on?
those are called stress spots. They can be caused by a few things, but if you just got him then it's most likely that he's still adjusting to the change in environment and nothings wrong. I'd keep an eye on it though if you're worried.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
View attachment 26072
I am new to being a baby bearded dragon owner. I have been reading a lot of forums and watching a lot of YouTube videos. This is the first time I have seen his underbelly. I’ve seen in a couple videos that if the bearded dragon has black lines underneath he is unhappy or something else is wrong. Can someone please tell me what’s going on?
They are stress marks witch is totally normal mines been home for 10 weeks and he still gets those at least once a day

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
View attachment 26085
Can you also tell me what you think about his health and color and anything else you can tell me? I was told he is healthy so I just want to make sure. And can you also tell me how old you think he is.
just means he is a little stressed he in not that used to you so he going to be a little stresses when you pick him up totally normals and please mesure him from nose to end of tail the. I can tell how old he/she is

Ayee

Bearded Dragon Egg
those are called stress spots. They can be caused by a few things, but if you just got him then it's most likely that he's still adjusting to the change in environment and nothings wrong. I'd keep an eye on it though if you're worried.
Thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will purchase the correct UVB light but just a clarifying question the new one you’re suggesting should be in the enclosure? Or resting on top?
It needs to go into the tank -- I posted up above some of the questions about the heating etc ---- next I want to address the substrate--- what are you using--- I cant really tell what it is -- just that its loose --- please get rid of it -- you dont want him eating or ingesting it-- either use paper towels for now or get some textured NON adhesive shelf line from Home Depot etc--- cut it to the size of your tank insects cannot get underneath clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50-- loose substrate harbors bacteria also --- the feeding should be 2-3 times per day --- he needs fresh salads once per day here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
His main diet is insects at this point they need to be dusted once per feeding lightly coated w/ calcium D3 5 x per week -https://dubiaroaches.com/products/rep-cal-calcium-with-vitamin-d3-5-5oz-1?variant=21432331960405-- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding ---https://dubiaroaches.com/products/rep-cal-herptivite-multivitamin?variant=21495637901397 -- I would order your insects and worms on line and dont rely on pet stores -- NO meal worms till he is a lot older --- they are too harsh on babies stomachs--- here are some websites for you to order from ---
www.symtonbsf.com -- order him some BSFL large DO NOT DUST THESE -- they are calcium enriched feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder --- add them to the top of his salads do it in front of him the movement will get his attention to the bowl - your going to need a glass or ceramic bowl like this so your insects cant get out of
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
you will not need to feed the BSFL they come in a container w/ food leave them on the counter or you can put in the fridge on the door just make sure you take them out and let them warm up before serving them
www.dubiaroaches.com this place has great roaches get smalls and if you can order like 100-200 of them keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food and get some carrots along w/ some water pellets https://dubiaroaches.com/products/dubia-dew-hydrated?variant=9890963845
you can also get him some small super worms https://dubiaroaches.com/collections/superworms-for-sale
feed on top of his salads 1-3 you dont want him hooked on the worms --
start there w / the food -- do not feed insects no bigger than the size between his eyes length wise I would start w/ the 1/4 -3/8 inch roach and hes going to eat I am guessing 12-15 at a time for now --- I would feed him for 10-15 minutes as many as he will eat so start w/ 12 and see if he eats all of them in a 10 minute time frame but feed him the salads and the BSFL / worms first -- you want him eating that salad -- w/ that eaten first he wont eat as many roaches
I was going to post the link and they are out of the smalls so you can go here and get some www.reptilianarts.com get the 1/4-3/8 roach they also carry the small super worms --- and look for the food there along w/ the water cubes / pellets
Not sure what color he will be Hiccup was the same color as this one when I got him and he is now a Orange Citrus Tiger --- so he will change colors as he sheds --- did you get whats known in the pet stores as "Fancy" ?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Going to drop a bunch of husbandry tips, diet tips, and more for you. Read over all of this information it is important and crucial to your babies health.

Enclosure - Needs to be at least 40 gallons, the bigger the better. We want our kids to thrive not just survive if you get my drift.

Heating
• Basking Spot should be 100-110 degrees for babies. 90-100 for adults. Preferably higher than 90.
• 100-150 Watt bulb.
• Temperatures on cool side should be in the low 80's.

UVB
• Absolutely no coil UVB bulbs. You have to get the ReptiSun or Arcadia linear T5 bulb and fixtures.
• Placed 18" above your dragons decoration or logs where he sits to take in UVB.
• Have multiple different spots he can chose how close he wants to be to the UVB light.

Diet
• For babies, you need to feed as much insects as he can eat in a 15 minute time period twice each day you feed. I am unable to tell you how often to feed as i've never owned a baby bearded dragon, just an adult.

• Offer greens and get him to eat them as a baby so it isn't a struggle when he is an adult. They need more insects as babies and more greens than insects as adults.

Good salad options:

Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, Dandelion Greens, Kale, Arugula
Blueberries, Mango, Apples, Cucumber
Carrots, Papaya, Butternut Squash, All types of Bell Peppers, Sweet Potatoes.

All of this information is a good start. Keep researching and learning!

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Going to drop a bunch of husbandry tips, diet tips, and more for you. Read over all of this information it is important and crucial to your babies health.

Enclosure - Needs to be at least 40 gallons, the bigger the better. We want our kids to thrive not just survive if you get my drift.

Heating
• Basking Spot should be 100-110 degrees for babies. 90-100 for adults. Preferably higher than 90.
• 100-150 Watt bulb.

UVB
• Absolutely no coil UVB bulbs. You have to get the ReptiSun or Arcadia linear T5 bulb and fixtures.
• Placed 18" above your dragons decoration or logs where he sits to take in UVB.
• Have multiple different spots he can chose how close he wants to be to the UVB light.

Diet
• For babies, you need to feed as much insects as he can eat in a 15 minute time period twice each day you feed. I am unable to tell you how often to feed as i've never owned a baby bearded dragon, just an adult.

• Offer greens and get him to eat them as a baby so it isn't a struggle when he is an adult. They need more insects as babies and more greens than insects as adults.

Good salad options:

Ayee

Bearded Dragon Egg

Heating
• 100-150 Watt bulb.

UVB

Diet

Good salad options:

Thank you this was all very good.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
View attachment 26078
Another question I apologize I’m just reading different articles and it’s just creating more questions. For night time I read it should be in complete darkness but it does still need some heat so I went to pet smart and this is what they recommended. I also read that the colors can be harmful. Should I continue using this or toss it aside. I also bought a ceramic heat emitter because for some reason the temperature is still not reaching between 110-115. What are your thoughts on the ceramic heat emitter. Or why isn’t the temperature reaching up to 110-115. I also got a 100W light bulb and still not good. I was told by an employee from petsmart to pair the 100w light bulb with the ceramic heat emitter and that should be perfect instead of getting the 150w light bulb. Can you also tell me your thoughts on that.
Ok the temps you need to be taking are the basking spot directly not the ambient air temp. Like how hot is the rock or log itself

Latest posts