• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeder cricket colony

Natalie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I ordered a cricket colony online and it arrived today. We decided to do this because Ace is eating so many crickets that it started to get pretty expensive. However now that it has arrived and we have it all set up, I'm sorta having second thoughts. It is disgusting! It smells terrible and they are creepy and gross. I know we have been feeding him crickets all along but buying a little bag from the pet store and dropping a few in was not at all this nasty. I honestly don't know if I'm up to it. Maybe better to pay the extra money to not have them here in my house. I guess I will give it a little time and then decide for sure. But really......Yuck!! Anyone else understand or have any advice?

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes they do stink and there a pain in the arse thats why i breed superworms and dubia roaches and just buy the crickets we need.

Natalie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Are the dubia roaches really better to breed than crickets? I would have thought they were worse. I am thinking we will lower the temps so eggs wont hatch, feed Ace the crickets till they are gone and try something else. I don't think I have the stomach for breeding crickets.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I hate crickets. my consolation is how quickly they get eaten!! :) If I were to have a colony, i would definately do supers or dubias. Unfortunately the dubias are "illegal" here in Canada!

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes dubia are the way to go much better then cricket. Cricket require a real clean breeding bin and need to be cleaned daily. Dubia you pretty much through in a container and let them do there thing. The dont stink and they are not dirty like crickets

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I had thought about starting a colony for Jethro with how many crickets he goes through in a week's time alone, Mom thinks I'm over feeding. However, I know you're supposed to feed babies a few times a day and let them eat as many as they can/want in a ten to fifteen minute time span. The adult crickets are the ones that stink the most, not the small ones. Also the adults are the ones that chirp.

Natalie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Its not for me. I am feeding them to Ace as fast as he will eat them. I have a friend who has an adult dragon that I'm giving a lot of them to and I'm planing to ask my children school if they want some for the school pet (an adult bearded dragon named Yoshi). If I cant get rid of them fast enough I will probably drive to the nearest field and set them free. They are in the basement so I cant hear them chirping but I can hardly stomach the smell just to get some out for Ace. Not my thing at all.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea, that's why I'm glad I can stick to small crickets for awhile, the small ones don't smell as much really as the big ones do.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
sucks that the roaches are illegal in canada. need to find a way to smuggle them in or find someone who has some in my area to start my own collection.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
sucks that the roaches are illegal in canada. need to find a way to smuggle them in or find someone who has some in my area to start my own collection.
it's only illegal to buy and sell! if you can find someone who will "gift" them to you it's all good.
not illegal to have them for your own use!! there are a few people around the country that already have established colonies!! :)

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
AWESOME.. thank you so much.. Anywhere in south western ontario really. between detroit and toronto. I will drive a few hours to accomplish this mission :)

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
oh how large do those roaches get? i seen some in google images almost the size of someone palm?!

I guess you could feed the lizard before they get too large to want to have them lol

but ya Tdrost, please help me out soon as you could with this.. thanks

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
They get pretty good size a cpl inche long you dont want to feed the adaults just the nymphs.