• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure

Lily_G

Hatchling Dragon
I have this enclousure for Lily, are my lamps okay for her. I thought they were great, but I see so many different brands of bulbs. I'm upgrading her to a 40 breeder soon, so I know I need to get a bigger lamp. Is that correct???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181106-161629_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181106-161629_Chrome.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_20181106-161331_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181106-161331_Chrome.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 101

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Most of the stuff that comes with those kits is not what you want to use. You want a tube-style bulb, not the compact. A reptisun t5 10.0 with a reflector hood is what I use and is commonly recommended. I got both the fixture and the bulb on amazon. The compact bulbs do not put off enough uvb, and they can hurt the beardie's eyes.

Lily_G

Hatchling Dragon
Most of the stuff that comes with those kits is not what you want to use. You want a tube-style bulb, not the compact. A reptisun t5 10.0 with a reflector hood is what I use and is commonly recommended. I got both the fixture and the bulb on amazon. The compact bulbs do not put off enough uvb, and they can hurt the beardie's eyes.
oh no, I'm gonna go check Amazon right now thanks.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
You don't want it over the whole enclosure, because you want them to be able to get out from under it, if they choose to. I think the basking lamps are pretty much all fine as long as the temperature is right. You want them to be able to be under basking and UVB at the same time.

Lily_G

Hatchling Dragon
You don't want it over the whole enclosure, because you want them to be able to get out from under it, if they choose to. I think the basking lamps are pretty much all fine as long as the temperature is right. You want them to be able to be under basking and UVB at the same time.
Okay thanks soo much. I thought I had everything right:( the enclosure thing makes sense, you need a cool side with a hide correct???

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
It's so confusing to get it all right at first. Once you get used to it, it makes more sense. Yes, there should be a cooler side with a hide. My baby has never used it yet, except to dart in and out of.

Lily_G

Hatchling Dragon
It's so confusing to get it all right at first. Once you get used to it, it makes more sense. Yes, there should be a cooler side with a hide. My baby has never used it yet, except to dart in and out of.
Glad I found this forum!!! Lily sleeps on top of her hide lol. I've only seen her go inside her hide a few times.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The lights that come with that set are horrible for bearded dragons. Get a tube UVB bulb, T5's are the best, and make sure it covers 1/2-2/3 of the tank. Then get a separate white basking light. Don't use any colored lights day or night. I use an Arcadia 12% T5 bulb and I use the Zoomed basking bulbs. You can use halogen flood bulbs too for the basking light. I've always had luck with the Zoomed and I stock up on them when they are on sale.

I hate that they sell those "kits" because the only thing that can be used is the dome light and even that is a little too much because you only need a single dome.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I just commented on your other thread. You can have it cover the whole tank, you just need to provide places for her to hide from the "sun". My UVB covers my whole tank but they have a bridge that spans the length of the tank that the UVB doesn't penetrate so when they want UVB they sit on top of the bridge, when they are done the go underneath.

Lily_G

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks patsy!!! I went to petco and they only have the t8 so I'm gonna order the t5 on Amazon.

Lily_G

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks Janelle and Patsy, j really appreciate the feedback. Makes me feel relieved to know I have somewhere to go if I have questions.

M

Masonbushell4664

Minimum viv size is 4x2x2 40 gallon is way to small. If you want to give your dragon a good life I wouldn’t get that.

Poisonedbite

Bearded Dragon Egg
Depends on the adult length of the particular beardie. Tank needs to be at least wide enough for them to turn around.

Galapoodle

Bearded Dragon Egg
When upgrading to the tube style light keep this stuff in mind.
Arcadia makes the longest lasting bulbs. (Vs reptisun)
T5-HO (high output) is what I just got in the mail yesterday, doing my own upgrades. I ordered it at 12% because we are mounting it above the screen. If you are mounting inside directly above the dragon (nothing in between) you should get the 6%. I opted for one that covers 2/3 of the tank. I ordered from Pangea Reptiles online, the fixture from them too. I think they do International shipping.

Regarding hides, I think they like having one on the cool side and the warm side. Not sure where I read that but it made sense since my girl hides on either when she's sleepy.

Just some thoughts that came up as I read this thread.

Tytus402

Bearded Dragon Egg
I had the same question you did about a week or so ago. I have a 4x2x2 enclosure with the Arcadia T5 high output 14% double bulb with reflector and a 150w basking light. I never turn the basking light on full strength as it’s ok a dimmer and makes it easy to get the hot spot to 105°-110° and the cool side is 83°-86°. My beardie seems to be thriving after getting to me last Friday. Reach out to Todd at lightyourreptiles.com. I purchased my stuff from him and he’s very helpful. The packaging was very secure and he drilled holes in the light fixture for me so I can install without hook in my tank.

M

Masonbushell4664

Depends on the adult length of the particular beardie. Tank needs to be at least wide enough for them to turn around.
It’s miniumum 4x2x2 for a baby also. It doesn’t matter the length. Anything smaller is pretty cruel.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Minimum viv size is 4x2x2 40 gallon is way to small. If you want to give your dragon a good life I wouldn’t get that.
Actually the 40G breeder is just fine for a normal sized adult dragon this is the min size however. And of course bigger is great but not everyone has the room for a bigger tank.

Latest posts