• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

EGGS?????

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, so I had a new adventure this morning as I went in to turn on lights and feed Miss Scarlet. As I looked into the enclosure I saw a bunch of yellowish things in there, first thought "Why is her poop all white, there must be something really wrong here. And why is ther so much just from last night until now?" As I looked closer and my brain kicked in I realized these must be eggs. Not knowing what a beardies eggs look like I quick got on here to ask my new found friends. The yellowish things look a lot like small garlic cloves. Are these indeed eggs and if so NOW WHAT???? They are obviously not fertilized so I will throw them away, but is there somethig extra special I need to do for Scarlet ie; extra calcium or vitamins??? I am a little stressed because I have to be gone for about 10 hours today and wont be able to keep an eye on her. Any help once again would be so much appreciated.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, so I had a new adventure this morning as I went in to turn on lights and feed Miss Scarlet. As I looked into the enclosure I saw a bunch of yellowish things in there, first thought "Why is her poop all white, there must be something really wrong here. And why is ther so much just from last night until now?" As I looked closer and my brain kicked in I realized these must be eggs. Not knowing what a beardies eggs look like I quick got on here to ask my new found friends. The yellowish things look a lot like small garlic cloves. Are these indeed eggs and if so NOW WHAT???? They are obviously not fertilized so I will throw them away, but is there somethig extra special I need to do for Scarlet ie; extra calcium or vitamins??? I am a little stressed because I have to be gone for about 10 hours today and wont be able to keep an eye on her. Any help once again would be so much appreciated.
Make sure she gets plenty greens, crix & calcium, she will be needing the extra calcium for a while to build herself back up again. The best thing you can do with the eggs, just to be sure, is put them in a wee bag in the freezer and freeze them then just bin them.
This could be why she has been off her food, if she has been getting ready to lay. Hope this helps

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I know for a fact that there was no male around her. She is 2 1/2 and had been with the same owner since she wasd a baby, no males. Thanx for the info though, I will be sure to add some extra calcium to her diet. Poor girl, she has had a rough week. =)

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She may or may not lay again. Soak your dragon in warm water more often than normal for about 2 weeks. Then go back to a normal soak schedule. Dehydration harms more females after egg laying than anything else I have found. Now as far as diet goes feed her whatever she wants for the next 2 weeks, greens bugs ect ect. Dust with vitamins and calcium every other feeding and she will bounce back fast.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
She may or may not lay again. Soak your dragon in warm water more often than normal for about 2 weeks. Then go back to a normal soak schedule. Dehydration harms more females after egg laying than anything else I have found. Now as far as diet goes feed her whatever she wants for the next 2 weeks, greens bugs ect ect. Dust with vitamins and calcium every other feeding and she will bounce back fast.
You mentioned soaking her??? I just got her a week ago and have not soaked her and didn't know I needed to. I mist her twice a day. Should I mist and soak? And where do I soak her, will she freak or do they like being in the water, and can I soak to much? How often do they lay? Wow, this is all so new to me.... thanx for your help on this!

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Make sure she gets plenty greens, crix & calcium, she will be needing the extra calcium for a while to build herself back up again. The best thing you can do with the eggs, just to be sure, is put them in a wee bag in the freezer and freeze them then just bin them.
This could be why she has been off her food, if she has been getting ready to lay. Hope this helps
I am positive there has been no male interaction.. No worries, I didn't throw away any baby dragons..... I am just worried about my "baby" and want to make sure she is ok. The fun just never ends, LOL =)

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I soak my dragons in a sink. Everyone does it different. Misting does nothing really for a dragon. Luke warm water up to the shoulders 2x a week is the average. I would do 3x for your girl right now. She may spaz every pooper is diff. Click on the banner at the bottom of the post. This will take you to my website. Check out my care page. See if your doing things right. Make any changes you need to. My way isnt the only way, but its a very simple way to care for a dragon.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You mentioned soaking her??? I just got her a week ago and have not soaked her and didn't know I needed to. I mist her twice a day. Should I mist and soak? And where do I soak her, will she freak or do they like being in the water, and can I soak to much? How often do they lay? Wow, this is all so new to me.... thanx for your help on this!
I just checked out your website, WOW!!!, what beautiful dragons!!!! I thought Miss Scarlet was a knock-out. I saw the pictures you have posted of the eggs, hers looked nothing like that. They were yellow in color and a bit shriveled looking. I took some pictures and will share them with you if you would like. If you look at the profile picture I have up this was taken two weeks ago and I could not tell by looking at her then that she was full of eggs. How do you tell and what is the best thing to do once you know they are full of eggs. Another thing, looking at the pictures of your dragons compared to Scarlet, she looks really thin. How can I tell if she is at the proper weight? I also noticed that you do expos along the east coast, I am in VA do you know of anything going on in this area in the near future? I would so love to be able to see some healthy beardies and speak first hand to people experienced in their care. If you could let me know or guide me in the right dirrection of this info that would be awesome. I am sure I will have more questions. Like I said we have only had her for a week and it has been quite the adventure for all of us. =)

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I soak my dragons in a sink. Everyone does it different. Misting does nothing really for a dragon. Luke warm water up to the shoulders 2x a week is the average. I would do 3x for your girl right now. She may spaz every pooper is diff. Click on the banner at the bottom of the post. This will take you to my website. Check out my care page. See if your doing things right. Make any changes you need to. My way isnt the only way, but its a very simple way to care for a dragon.
THANK YOU!!!!! I already checked out your site and posted a bunch more questions for you =) I am going back right now to look at the care sheet.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Even a female that has never even seen a male MAY lay infertile eggs. I am sure this is what you just went thru. The picture you have your dragon looks good. I have a reputation for breeding large dragons, so your comparison isnt a fair one....lol The next big show im doing is near Baltimore MD on Oct 8th and 9th at the Timonium fairgrounds. Repticon baltimore. Bring your girl there and I will check her out for you. In the meantime just follow my care sheet and she will put on weight...lol oh and your VERY welcome...lol

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You guys are so AWESOME!!!!! I just can't thank you enough for your quick reply. I just spent the last 1 1/2 completely cleaning out Scarlets enclosure. NO MORE SAND!!!! I am using newspaper for the time being. I think once we get her a bigger tank we will go with tile. I soaked her in the tub for a good half hour making sure the water remained warm by adding more as it started to cool. She didn't panic at all, I think she was very unsure and a little bit afraid at first but all in all I think she did enjoy her warm tub!!!!! I will run out today get her some waxworms to help fatten her up a little bit. I am no expert (far, far from it) but she just looks thin to me. She has a lot of loose skin that I think needs to fill out a bit. After I cleaned her cage out she seemed SO MUCH happier. She immediately rushed over to her food dish and gobbled up her mustard greens. Plus I have some of the dry food from the pet store that I offer, she isn't real big on that. I do crickets every other day. Any case she ate well this morning, I was so happy to see that. How do you guys feel about the vitamin powder. Should I be using this? I got the calcium powder with the vitamin D3 that I sprinkle (tiny weeny bit) on her food daily. I don't think she was given any of this before as the first time I used it she snubbed her food (crickets) which she loves. I guess looking back now it could have been the fact that she was getting ready to lay eggs too. However when I offered calciumless crickets she atw them. So from what I have read it says calcium once a week. I decided to give her a little taste every day in order to get her used to more gradual. What do you all think?

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Even a female that has never even seen a male MAY lay infertile eggs. I am sure this is what you just went thru. The picture you have your dragon looks good. I have a reputation for breeding large dragons, so your comparison isnt a fair one....lol The next big show im doing is near Baltimore MD on Oct 8th and 9th at the Timonium fairgrounds. Repticon baltimore. Bring your girl there and I will check her out for you. In the meantime just follow my care sheet and she will put on weight...lol oh and your VERY welcome...lol
Again THANX!!! I will try my best to make it up to the expo. When bringing my beardie up there how best do I transport her? I want to be sure she doesn't get to cold or stressed. How far are the fairgrounds from Baltimore and is it north or south of Baltimore? I am just trying to get an idea of how long it will take to get there. I am about 75 miles south of DC. I guess I can always google it, LOL.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
5x a week is a bit much on the calcium. I only do 2 x a week for non breeding dragons and every other feeding for gravid females. I mix my calcium with the vitamins.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i always did 6 days calcium(twice per day) and 1 day vitamins as juvies. as adults 3 days calcium (once per day) and 1 day vitamins.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Im sure your animals are healthy. Not saying your wrong at all. However look at the pictures of my breeders, and babies, I thinks its clear that the system im using is working.....lol

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Depends on the dragon Rich.
Georgia is a beer and pretzels girl, but Rhodney is more of a bourbon kinda guy. Tango prefers rum. Each dragon is diff....lol

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Depends on the dragon Rich.
Georgia is a beer and pretzels girl, but Rhodney is more of a bourbon kinda guy. Tango prefers rum. Each dragon is diff....lol

http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l579/117star/
Here are a some pictures of Scarlet tonight eating her wormy dinner, LOL. If you get a chance to look at them would you give me your thoughts on her weight. I know it is hard to judge just by looking at pictures. But all of the pictures I have looked at of other beardies make my girl look almost unhealthy and way underweight. Her enclosure is very temp. She is getting a new home in about 2 weeks. This is what she came to us in and I know it's for a Chameleon but it's all I have for the time being. She has been in it for about 2 1/2 years so I figure she can handle 2 more weeks =) Who knew enclosures were so expensive??!!

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
she looks fine. i got some of my tanks at petco's one dollar per gallon sales. a few at reptile shows. i use the 40 gallon breeders and they run about 100 bucks new. i also had some custom made and they ran about 150 each.

Latest posts