• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Education after High school. What'd you do whats your plans

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What, this group get off topic? I can not imagine that ever happening around here.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:
Lead draftsman for a valve company? That's cool!

yep they paid for me to go to college (I was lucky enough to win a scholarship through them while in highschool in a CAD design contest)
So I worked for them through college and they paid my way (sept books) and kept me on as lead designer for another 1.5 years until I got laid off due to budget cuts. Then I joined the Navy haha.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Budget cuts! I hear ya....I'm the last one of my kind in my division due to them. Fortunately, we were JUST bought out by a company that's going to invest in us. So things are looking up!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
What, this group get off topic? I can not imagine that ever happening around here.

You sound so surprised! LOL!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:
Budget cuts! I hear ya....I'm the last one of my kind in my division due to them. Fortunately, we were JUST bought out by a company that's going to invest in us. So things are looking up!

Yeah budget cuts suck. Knowing its coming sux worse. Going from lead draftsman to working at walmart till I can go to boot camp sucked way worse haha.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
Craiger said:

Yeah budget cuts suck. Knowing its coming sux worse. Going from lead draftsman to working at walmart till I can go to boot camp sucked way worse haha.

I'm sure it helped put food on the table. Granted, it's not filet mignon or lobster, but...you know. Kudos for getting some work in the meantime. There are a lot of people out there that would rather just leach off the system. ::)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:
crypticdragons said:
Craiger said:

I'm sure it helped put food on the table. Granted, it's not filet mignon or lobster, but...you know. Kudos for getting some work in the meantime. There are a lot of people out there that would rather just leach off the system. ::)

yeah wasn't raised that way. You work for what you get.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When Chris and I got laid off at the same time he went back to serving tables. It took almost 2 years before he could find a job in mortgage again but we made it work and I learned how to feed a family of 4 for less than $80 a week and still make health meals.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
When Chris and I got laid off at the same time he went back to serving tables. It took almost 2 years before he could find a job in mortgage again but we made it work and I learned how to feed a family of 4 for less than $80 a week and still make health meals.

Bev and I were in a similar situation not long after we got married. It was for a MUCH shorter time and there were only 2 of us, but it's never easy to get used to half the income...regardless of how long you have to do it.

Kudos to you guys!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow...some pretty intelligent people on here. Mine is not so fancy.
Graduated high school young. Seventeen, and by that time I had already met Dean and we had a date to get married. I went to the local community college (which Joshua is also an alumni of) and got my Associates Degree in Executive Secretarial Studies (yup, they called us secretaries back then, lol). I worked for a very large school text book publishing company for a few years. I was the Admin (can't say secretary anymore) to the President, VP, and Marketing director. Not bad for a 19 year old, lol! Worked there until I had Joshua. Dean and I decided that I wouldn't go back to a full time job after he was born. Basically I just worked part time as a receptionist/admin a few nights a week. After Daniel was born I decided to give daycare a hand. Got my license and ran a home daycare for 11 years. Hardest job I ever had. As of the past 8 years I have been working in a private school. For the first 4 years I was a teacher in a PS room. The last 4 years I have been doing all the admin work. Still very part time and like it that way. Make my own hours and days :D :D.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wish it would not have been so long but believe it or not serving tables paid more then most of the jobs that he got offers on. He finally got into Chase bank, gets good pay and benefits. The insurance what I am most excited about, we don't have to worry about getting sick anymore and having to suffer through it and hope it goes away.

sublyme

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a 2 year degree in Certified Networking Systems. Went for a year prior to that for Computer Electronics and changed my path. I have a security+ certification. Would love to go back and tackle more..

But.. Sallie Mae wants to take every dime i make and threaten my credit and doc my pay. My little degree cost a fortune at ITT tech.
DO NOT go there! It has cost me more stress than it was worth and since the economy is so bad, it's hard to get a job thats decent enough to pay them the outrageous amount they want. ( 500.00 a month! )

Folks do your homework before getting into a school and make sure that there is a job waiting for you when your done. I know way to many people who graduated with me and still are looking for jobs or have a very low paying one. Graduated 2 years ago!

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the new bill put into place says that payments can not be more then 20% of your pay. I would call them and try to work something out.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Somebody explain to me what this "bill' you guys are talking about?

Here in Oz the Govt pays for your Higher Education and you simply pay them back when you are working full time (no interest). You only have to pay them back once your salary reaches a certain amount, so If you spend your whole working life under the cut off point you basically get a university education for free. I believe the cut off point this year has been moved to 42K. Even then if you declare to your employer that you have a higher education debt to your employer they re-calculate your tax so as it is taken out as tax per pay. Basically you never notice the repayments out of your pocket till you start to reach the 60-80K mark gross income. I myself have a 28K debt to the Australian govt due to my degree.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I KNEW I was educated in the wrong country.. just one more reason to relocate SOUTH ! lol

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here you have to pay for your school out of pocket. You can get grants or "free" money, from the gov't to pay for school but this is a very small amount and not everyone gets it. This is not enough to pay for school, so student loan are taken out from a privet bank. The govt pays the interest on some of the loan until 6 months after you drop out or graduate from college. The other part (more then 50% of what you borrow) of the loan accrues interest from the date the check is sent to the school. You do not have to make any payments until 6 months after graduating or dropping out of college. The current interest rate on my student loans is 6.5%. There is a new bill/law that was passed stating that only 20% of your income has go to paying back student loans to the privet bank. If you go into a public service job, such as, teacher, police, nurse, doctor etc., your student loans are forgiven after 10 years post graduation regardless of how much you owe on them.

The GI Bill is for Military and their families to go to college for free, I think. I do not know much about the GI bill b/c I am not military. Brian or Justus could give you more info about that bill.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
I KNEW I was educated in the wrong country.. just one more reason to relocate SOUTH ! lol

The health care is better their too. I have thought about living there myself many many many times. Better education, health care, and really cool reptiles.

Latest posts