• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Education after High school. What'd you do whats your plans

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't know why but I thought it might be interesting to see who here went/is going/or plans to go to any of the after high school establishments available to them. I will start

After High School I attended Aiken Technical College where I completed 2 Associates degrees, 1 in Computer Graphics/Drafting and design, and the other in Electrical Engineering. I have also attended Realtor training, MECP Certified (Car Audio Instalation License), University of Maryland (for 1 semester, didn't like their online program), and am now finishing up a Bachelors at AMU. I plan to also pursue a Master's degree (can't beat it when the Navy will pay for it haha).

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gee this is bringing back some oooold memories..
After high school, I took a year to season myself..
then enrolled in a tech school/ jr. college.
Degreed in Horticulture and a BA in Psych.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lemme see if i can remember that far.
I was hauled off to basic immediately where i spent the next (almost) two decades. In that I obtained my Associates of Science, and went into Aerodynamics. I received my bachelors in Math a year early and started over in the field of Engineering. (it's still math) I started yet another education course 6 years ago (time constraints ya know) to change careers yet again in Animal Science. My actual accreditations grant me the opportunity to finish up my masters early and I'm enrolled in a thesis program. I will still require my research credit and my mentor certification to pass that.

And I'm OLD!!!!!

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well for me I went to college to be a prison guard...corrections to be exact...passed the psychical and all...but when it came time for the mental part...well I failed miserably !!

To be exact...my professor said " Laurie you will end up falling for an inmate and will easily be persuaded to break them out"

I am now a manager for customer service in a transport company....I think it suits me better !!

Thank god...I could have married a guy by the name Bubba :D

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Alright I'll join too...

After high school I attended University studying a Bachelor of Arts Humanities. I didn't mind that and did that for two years (out of a three year course) till I got bored. I have a minor (unfinished) degree in philosophy from it, which I may finish but I don't like the idea of writing a 10K word essay on the meaning of courage or existentialism or any of that kind of crap (fit right in really a I'm a natural SmartA$$ lol). I floundered around for a rear and a half after that travelling and sowing my wild oates so to speak. I came back both a second hand film SLR liked the photography, so I set about finding out if I could do something with it.

I applied for a Bachelor of Science, Scientific Photography at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology RMIT University) one of only three places in the world that offers this course and was lucky enough to be one of the 31 people out of 2500+ applicants for that year. The whole thing was a bit daunting at the time as it was a three stage interview process like applying for a job really. So four years later I now have a Bachelor of Science (technically I'm a scientist as the wife says lol). Lately I have been thinking of getting a post grad in environmental science or biology. The wife is trying to convince me to do it, but as with life there's bills to pay and a mortgage, living on a students wage doesn't seem as appealing at the moment. The wife is finishing her Masters of Business Administration so when she finishes that and hopefully get a huge pay increase (her work is paying for half of her studies) I may go back and do that post grad studies.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
lemme see if i can remember that far.
I was hauled off to basic immediately where i spent the next (almost) two decades. In that I obtained my Associates of Science, and went into Aerodynamics. I received my bachelors in Math a year early and started over in the field of Engineering. (it's still math) I started yet another education course 6 years ago (time constraints ya know) to change careers yet again in Animal Science. My actual accreditations grant me the opportunity to finish up my masters early and I'm enrolled in a thesis program. I will still require my research credit and my mentor certification to pass that.

And I'm OLD!!!!!

Well this explains the meticulous record keeping and attention to detail lol.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Justus85 said:
I'm on the gi bill myself. Ahh isn't it grand. Majoring in IT.

Post 911 gi bill?
Gotta love the post 911 gi bill. If you are out you get paid BAH for the area your college is in which does not count against your money.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
After high school I became certified in Real Estate Appraisal but become decided it was boring and never worked as an appraiser. This past January I went back to school to get my associates of Science in Allied Health. Once I finish my degree I can apply to Nursing school to become an Associate RN. Once I start working as a nurse it is back to school to get my BA in nursing. All in all it will be 6 years in school for the nursing.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
After graduating high school, I attended Lewis & Clark Community College (just 5 minutes from my house) and graduated with an Associates of Applied Science in Drafting/Cad Technology. Back then, the AAS degree held the same importance the BS degree holds today. And seeing that I really only wanted to be a Mechanical Designer (which I am) and not an engineer, I figured "why go the extra two years?". Geez....was that a mistake. Most companies today won't look at you unless you have at least a BS degree....Masters preferred. Oh well....we make our bed, we should sleep in it.

Through the years, I've found I had an interest in how homes were built. I found myself looking at the structures for any signs of damage and how it was put together. Add to the fact that I was very discouraged in my job at the time, you can see why I decided to get a degree in home inspections. Was about to open my own business when I got the job of my dreams. Haven't looked back...

In the meantime, being an ATV/motorcycle enthusiast, I decided to go ahead and get a degree in ATV/motorcycle mechanics as well. So now I have three degrees to proudly display on my wall. One, of which, I've yet to do anything with.

Being an alumni of Lewis & Clark, I'm proud to say that the twins are attending there right now. Go Trailblazers! :D

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Nice... wanna blue print my dream house, Craig ? lol... it's a dooozie !

Actually, I probably could....as I had two years of Architecture. I've designed floor plans on the side over the years. Nothing to make money on....just buildings we've built.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you did home designs? Nice. I was a lead draftsman at a valve manufacturing company for a while.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mostly just floor plans.

I've been in mechanical engineering for 21 years. I'm currently a Designer (I get to use solid modeling everyday....kind of like playing and getting paid for it). I do have three patents while working, here, though. Product development is a blast!

Lead draftsman for a valve company? That's cool!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If I can figure out how to email my ideas to you.. That would be fun for both you and me.. more models for you to play with.. lol
And my idea in print !

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
If I can figure out how to email my ideas to you.. That would be fun for both you and me.. more models for you to play with.. lol
And my idea in print !

If the e-mail thing doesn't work, just snail mail them to me. I can send you my address. Or....are you just talking about "ideas in text" vs. "drawing"?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ideas in text.. I believe I do have some drawn ideas on graph paper... just a rough outline however...
Lemme see what I can come up with.. I have a friend with a scanner...

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Ideas in text.. I believe I do have some drawn ideas on graph paper... just a rough outline however...
Lemme see what I can come up with.. I have a friend with a scanner...

No problem. Guess we should let this thread get back on topic, now. ;D

Latest posts