• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dusting, Vitamins, Calcium

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The calcium/supplement issue is probably redundant for experienced keepers so i'm sorry. I'm trying to get a routine for our dragon as well and it seems that everyone has different info. I was going to dust 1 feeding per day: Mon, Tue and Wed w/calcium (no D3), Thur and Fri w/calcium (d3), Sat w/Reptivite no d3.
Then i read a breeder's site that says to dust every feeding with calcium d3 bc they pass excess calcium in the stool and they cannot produce sufficient d3 w/artificial lighting. It also sd 2-3 feedings/wk with vitamins.
I imagine some combination in between these would be ok.
I still have her on a desert 50 coil for UVB short term and she spends alot of time less than 8 inches from it.
This site ( douchidragons ) also stated that if a dragon spends most of its time in its basking spot it means the terrarium is not hot enough and if they gape alot it is too hot. Sugar spends 90% of her time basking as close as possible to the bulbs and gapes alot so not sure there either. Temp just measured at °101 where she is.

Since you are still using a coil bulb I would really dust with Calcium with D3 one meal a day and multivitamin with D3 2 times a week.

When they gape it means they are hot but they are regulating their internal temps by opening their mouth. It's not a bad thing.

As long as you are using some sort of combination of supplements you are doing good. When mine were babies, They got calcium with out D3 one feeding a day and then then Sat and Sun they got a multivitamin. I met a group on FB that felt it should be done different and you should mix up the days and do calcium with out D3 one day and with D3 the next and then a multivitamin a few times a week. I'm learning I don't know if there really is a wrong or right way to give them as long as you are consistently giving them. I personally feel if you are using a real good UVB bulb, that you don't need to use calcium with D3 and just use a multivitamin with D3. I use an Arcadia 12% T5 bulb that covers the length of my tank.

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
Since you are still using a coil bulb I would really dust with Calcium with D3 one meal a day and multivitamin with D3 2 times a week.

When they gape it means they are hot but they are regulating their internal temps by opening their mouth. It's not a bad thing.

As long as you are using some sort of combination of supplements you are doing good. When mine were babies, They got calcium with out D3 one feeding a day and then then Sat and Sun they got a multivitamin. I met a group on FB that felt it should be done different and you should mix up the days and do calcium with out D3 one day and with D3 the next and then a multivitamin a few times a week. I'm learning I don't know if there really is a wrong or right way to give them as long as you are consistently giving them. I personally feel if you are using a real good UVB bulb, that you don't need to use calcium with D3 and just use a multivitamin with D3. I use an Arcadia 12% T5 bulb that covers the length of my tank.

Thanks alot for simplifying that for me. I'll do exactly that.

Latest posts