• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dusting, Vitamins, Calcium

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
As always you guys save the day all the time, and over the short time I've been here you guys have really been amazing. I have stayed away from forums for years (back when I was on parrot forums) because of drama and foolishness. But you guys have been so supportive and amazing! So thank you all!!

I read on one of Hdrydr31's comment links about dusting and copied and pasted it here...

"SUPPLIMENTS
You want to dust one protein meal a day with some sort of supplement. Most people do:

6X a week with calcium without D3
1X a week with a multivitamin

There are some exceptions though and other supplements that can be used. If you don’t have the proper UVB lighting, or you have a rescue dragon that you don’t know if it ever had UVB lighting, or you have a female that has just laid eggs, then do:

3X a week calcium without D3
3X a week calcium with D3

The above schedule is good for babies and juvenile bearded dragons"

The above schedule recommended for the babies, is it the:

6x a week with calcium w/o D3
1x a week with multivitamin

or

3X a week calcium without D3
3X a week calcium with D3

Also, what calcium and multivat brands do you guys use/recommend. I've been dusting Rami's crickets with a baggie of the calcium he's breeder gave me.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most of us get our supplements from beardeddragon.co there are all sorts of supplements that are out there but know you need a calcium with d3 and one without d3.
Several of us have just started using Repahsy super calcium plus this is safe to be used daily making dusting much easier...Now mind you making sure babies are getting enough calcium is really important during such a active growth phase.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So with the super calcium plus I don't have to worry about d3? Am I dusting every protein meal? And how much do you guys use? Lately I just pinch a bit to cover the bugs and pop them in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So with the super calcium plus I don't have to worry about d3? Am I dusting every protein meal? And how much do you guys use? Lately I just pinch a bit to cover the bugs and pop them in.

I've only just started using it and I dust 1 live feeding a day.. until I know more I am still alternating with and without d3 here and there.. I just use what it takes to cover their dubia.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I've only just started using it and I dust 1 live feeding a day.. until I know more I am still alternating with and without d3 here and there.. I just use what it takes to cover their dubia.
Hmmm, So should I still get all three. Calcium with D3 one without D3 and the super calcium one to be safe? Because Rami is a baby should all his feeding be dusted for now?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not all feedings just 1 a day

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use Repashy Calcium Plus with all my reptiles. I have a small scoop spoon that I use to just dust the bugs in a cup. My dragons are 3-5 years, I've been using it for about a year, my two girls just had perfect blood workups.

Now when they were babies. I used Repticalcium with and without D3 and I used Reptivite multi vitamin. I alternated the calciums throughout the week and then on the weekend days I used the multivitamin.

It got too confusing with so many reptiles and my older brain so I switched to the Calcium Plus, LOL!

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I use Repashy Calcium Plus with all my reptiles. I have a small scoop spoon that I use to just dust the bugs in a cup. My dragons are 3-5 years, I've been using it for about a year, my two girls just had perfect blood workups.

Now when they were babies. I used Repticalcium with and without D3 and I used Reptivite multi vitamin. I alternated the calciums throughout the week and then on the weekend days I used the multivitamin.

It got too confusing with so many reptiles and my older brain so I switched to the Calcium Plus, LOL!
I'm confused and it's just one guy at my house [emoji23]

What I think I'll do is use Repashy during the week and the multi vitamin on weekends.

Do you think think would be ok for my little guy?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The Repashy has everything in it. So using a multivitamin on the weekend might be overkill. I would maybe do every other weekend.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The Repashy has everything in it. So using a multivitamin on the weekend might be overkill. I would maybe do every other weekend.
Ah ok, what about D3? Should I do that separately?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The Repashy has a little D3 in it. If your tube bulb is good and placed properly, it should be providing enough UVB to make D3.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The Repashy has a little D3 in it. If your tube bulb is good and placed properly, it should be providing enough UVB to make D3.
Right now I have the 5.0 while I wait for my 10.0

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Then a couple days a week add some calcium with D3 until you get your 10.0 light. Once the light comes you should be okay to just use the Calcium Plus.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Then a couple days a week add some calcium with D3 until you get your 10.0 light. Once the light comes you should be okay to just use the Calcium Plus.
Thank you for chiming in girl as you've been using it longer than me so you've been able to work with it and see what works better..

magpie

Hatchling Dragon

This thread is a little old but not a lot old, so I thought I'd bump it vs. ask a new question as it's related. :)

Regarding the Repashy Calcium Plus and an adult lizard. It sounds like that's an all-in-one powder that you would use 1x/day, every day for adults. Is that correct?

If the beardie I am potentially getting is questionable re: how much UVB he's gotten, should I supplement on top of it for a little while, or just assure he has the UVB light going forward?

Thanks.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This thread is a little old but not a lot old, so I thought I'd bump it vs. ask a new question as it's related. :)

Regarding the Repashy Calcium Plus and an adult lizard. It sounds like that's an all-in-one powder that you would use 1x/day, every day for adults. Is that correct?

If the beardie I am potentially getting is questionable re: how much UVB he's gotten, should I supplement on top of it for a little while, or just assure he has the UVB light going forward?

Thanks.
yes you are correct on the supplement.
I would get the beardie vetted if you do get him and let them know his previous living situation.. Blood tests will show his calcium levels

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
Perfect, I didn't realize you could check calcium levels in bloodwork but of course you can.
I think I'm overthinking everything. I want to be sure I'm getting it all right. :)

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
The calcium/supplement issue is probably redundant for experienced keepers so i'm sorry. I'm trying to get a routine for our dragon as well and it seems that everyone has different info. I was going to dust 1 feeding per day: Mon, Tue and Wed w/calcium (no D3), Thur and Fri w/calcium (d3), Sat w/Reptivite no d3.
Then i read a breeder's site that says to dust every feeding with calcium d3 bc they pass excess calcium in the stool and they cannot produce sufficient d3 w/artificial lighting. It also sd 2-3 feedings/wk with vitamins.
I imagine some combination in between these would be ok.
I still have her on a desert 50 coil for UVB short term and she spends alot of time less than 8 inches from it.
This site ( douchidragons ) also stated that if a dragon spends most of its time in its basking spot it means the terrarium is not hot enough and if they gape alot it is too hot. Sugar spends 90% of her time basking as close as possible to the bulbs and gapes alot so not sure there either. Temp just measured at °101 where she is.