• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Double Check-Am I doing everything right?

Ashley Clifford

Bearded Dragon Egg
**UPDATE**
I removed the red bulb, removed the powersun it has reached its 12 months so it wasn’t worth distancing it and needing more heat.
Added plain clear basking bulb and mounted my existing 24 inch T8 uv fixture under screen.
Tried buying the reptisun 36” 10.0 at local pet store got home wouldn’t turn on returned to find it was their only fixture. Been searching online for T5 high output 10.0 online 30” or bigger and bulb but not having luck. If anyone knows where to get these let me know.

Zoo Med T5 HO Reptisun Terrarium Hood​

10.0 bulb to match

will continue looking into building larger viv or purchasing one if one comes along that’s more affordable than building.​

thanks!
Update 12-9-20
Bought Arcadia t5 12% 36” to cover most of tank and a CHE hooked to a temp control so if it struggles to stay warm it will help boost the temp during the day and it’s set to stay 70 at night.

thanks all

also continuing to research building a wider viv to upgrade my current 4foot long by 1 foot wide by 18” tall. Interestingly the biggest new one I seem to find is only 36”x18”x18” but I feel like if I’m gonna upgrade to slightly wider and remove a foot in length it wouldn’t be enough of an upgrade. Hope to build a 4x2x2 or at least 4x2x18” tall

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Julee-( and all others I’ve addressed some others comments as well)

Nico likes to climb he has no issue climbing up the driftwood onto the hammock and he either climbes back down or he kinda slunks down onto his log that’s in the center. He doesn’t land on tile. I have put fleece cuts of a blanket in their with him as he often falls asleep snuggled up with me but he kicks them into a ball the following day so I remove them.

again, I will look into the lights as he’s coming to a new bulb anyways and I don’t want him to have too much uvb as some have voiced as the issue with the powersun. This being said I DO use a probe digital thermometer in basking area which never gets over 105 so I don’t see how the claims of too hot are made it’s often around 95. Then I have digital hergrometers on each end with temp readings and the dial in the center so I can see the variation of temp and humidity through out the tank. He is able to hide his whole body under his big log hide whenever he wants. He doesn’t use the water bowl much but to be honest I put it in to boost his humidity because I have a very dry house and without it his tank was about 15%, with it it stays around 30-35 on cool side.

it makes me angry that full grown adults working in pet stores give miss information regarding lights ect. I read the carton it did not warn about too much uvb or say only for use in walk in enclosures or anything that would suggest not to use it. I research all the time and did a lot prior to getting Nico but the information out there is so contradicting at times. I stopped going to my local pet shop unless I have to due to their blatant ignorance. They were feeding a hatchling (apparently they can sell them that young according to this woman) main diet of meal worms. I told her they aren’t supposed to have them until one year and only as treats if at all due to impaction dangers but she just argued that they’ve always done that. Wish there were a way to report them but any way, my point is I don’t listen to pet store workers so much as in the beginning I would get opinions and have them point out product then I read labels and look online and make the best choice I can based on all the info I can find.

as for a bigger tank, I’d love to get him a little larger side opening viv but I don’t have the money right now. Now this is not to say I can’t afford him as like I’ve mentioned I’ve spent a lot on everything he has and I’m constantly buying more and doing more. His insects alone run about $60/week lol but I am going to update his lighting so everyone with those concerns please rest assured, I am not an irresponsible pet owner.

For anyone worried about him roaming free, I work from home and have a routine where after the kids get on the bus, I clean and vacuum, then Nico is taken out and I work from a laptop within view of him at all times. He watches tv or watches the bird feeders out the window mostly. He’s so used to this routine that if I have an appointment or get busy and don’t take him out right away, he knocks on the glass and goes back and forth excitedly when I’m in view.

it sounds like other than being misled on my lights, I’ve done a decent job with him

thank you all for the concern and suggestions I came here for experienced knowledgeable opinions so this is great!

ashley
U are welcome yes handle the uvb/heat lights asap and u are welcome typically the basking furniture is under the basking light & hammock in the back behind it on hot side. The platform for basking is in front so he can bask on the furniture or go to the hammock also hammock needs to be lowered he can’t be too close to the uvb when u get the Reptisun it’s no closer than 10inches to the uvb light so remember that. the log is in the middle when he wants the warm side not to hot. Rite now it’s good because the mercury bulb is deadly so good his log is far away but def need to fix all that, cuz he’s not getting proper heat or uvb that why he also wants out of his cage too. It will cause health issues if he’s not getting 10-12 hours of heat/UVB and when u feed he needs to bask for 2hoirs to digest the food. When he’s on his tank he should be able to view the tv or an outside window or be able to look at you. They like movement and greenery. He can’t be out of his tank for more than an hour without heat; so blast your heater if I take mine out for longer I have a cat bed next to a window with a tall lamp stand and a powersun 80watt that’s high up and he sits there for 6hours or so and if I have pillows all around in case he wants to get down & fluffy towels as a ramp.

Knight98

Juvenile Dragon
I know breeders that use heat mats and there beardies love them, Just make sure that it doesn’t get too got. I don’t bother with them as mine like to bask

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I know breeders that use heat mats and there beardies love them, Just make sure that it doesn’t get too got. I don’t bother with them as mine like to bask
BASKING IS THE PROPER WAY FOR A BEARDIE TO BE WARM ALONGSIDE REPTIUSN 10.0 T5 for UVB whcih poeple ignore or do wrong till beardie is on their death bed & NEVER EVER USE COLORED OR COILED BULBS:))

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Dragons love variety so it sounds like he's got it good - the windows are good for entertainment but not much for UVB the window blocks the UVB so he's not getting much there- if you need help hanging the fixture let me know I will post some ways to hang-- your dragon does not need daily bathing or 2 times a week - too much will dry their scales out they are a dessert animal bathing is not necessary unless he only drinks from bathing or he's pooped all over himself-
Hi Ashley; A Beardie needs only 2 lights: a zoomed CLEAR basking heat lamp and a Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB that’s it & those are the best & only recommended ones. The ceramic heater emitter use only at night and only in the winter never in the summer. Sounds like u have a mercury bulb/powersun; that’s very intense & not recommended if u are using that u can’t also have a heat lamp that’s overkill. So please handle that sooner than later. Also; Sadie is wrong; it’s definitely 2 baths per week always but buy Reptisafe they are drops u place in the bathing & drinking water which removes the chlorine from the water; chlorine is what dries out their skin. That’s if you don’t have a filter system at your house. SADIE learn from this u r giving wrong info again. Please stop how can u say don’t give. Baths twice a week that’s insane go spend money and buy reptisafe to remove the chlorine; that’s what dries out their skin. Please learn and stop interfering. We have seen horrifying things with the Beardies we rescue!! Like the powersuns, dehydration, wrong food, No UVB/Wrong UVB.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Also in the winter between September to March some Beardies Brumate. Need to provide them a hideaway to hide under like under a hammock cover it with towels or an upside down shoebox with an opening they can hide/get away from the light to hibernate. They are lazy/lethargic, and don’t eat much. U still need to provide a water dish & offer food & keep the uvb and heat on but lessen the hours of UVB/heat when in brumation to 7-9 hours. Also, if he is starting to brumate; make sure u give him a warm bath so he poops everything out before hibernation or they can develop parasites, problems. Etc with the waste in their tummy. I have one going slightly into brumation. U can also try to place water on their nose or get them to drink some water bring it to them and see if they want it. I leave a little bowll in their tank in case. They have to be hydrated.

Latest posts