• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Doesn't eat much anymore....

Bruce Wayne

Hatchling Dragon
Rascal is 7-8 months old, and for whatever reason just doesn't eat much anymore. Always had a problem with greens, but lately I can only get her to eat a few roaches at a time. In a 40 gallon tank, (upgrading soon) UVB is a 24 inch, 24 watt Arcadia T5 hanging inside the tank about 10 inches from the basking log. Basking lights are 2 75 watt ReptiZoo white lights. Basking temp is 95-100 and cool side is 75-80. Humidity stays around 35%. She has a hide on each side. Only poops about every 4 days. I think I'm doing everything correctly.....do they lose some of their appetite as they get older?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Rascal is 7-8 months old, and for whatever reason just doesn't eat much anymore. Always had a problem with greens, but lately I can only get her to eat a few roaches at a time. In a 40 gallon tank, (upgrading soon) UVB is a 24 inch, 24 watt Arcadia T5 hanging inside the tank about 10 inches from the basking log. Basking lights are 2 75 watt ReptiZoo white lights. Basking temp is 95-100 and cool side is 75-80. Humidity stays around 35%. She has a hide on each side. Only poops about every 4 days. I think I'm doing everything correctly.....do they lose some of their appetite as they get older?
Rascal should be eating salads and insects everyday 10-15 depending on size of roaches- the uvb is she basking under it directly - normal.distance for the uvb is 12-15 inches- you can try raising it 2 inches see if that changes her behavior- how are you getting the temps-- you want surface basking temps- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-humidity is good- pooping every 4 days is good- she still young so she should be eating quite a bit- so w/ the not eating greens is normal some will some won't so I recommend you order some bsfl order large use them as salad lures- feed as many as you want they are a good staple feeder - add them to the tops of her salads every morning please don't dust them they are calcium enriched- you will need a bowl like glass or ceramic to keep them in - I can post a website for a nice glass bowl in the morning

Bruce Wayne

Hatchling Dragon
Basking temps are taken with a digital probe. Could it be that her enclosure is too small? Only ate two roaches today. Maybe she’s sick of them? Should I go back to crickets?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Basking temps are taken with a digital probe. Could it be that her enclosure is too small? Only ate two roaches today. Maybe she’s sick of them? Should I go back to crickets?
Her enclosure isnt going to effect appetite -- what size tank is she in? Its possible she is tired of the roaches but I am gonna say not -- did you move the UVB up 2 inches or so? Start there -- please post a pic of the tank so I can see

Bruce Wayne

Hatchling Dragon
Her enclosure isnt going to effect appetite -- what size tank is she in? Its possible she is tired of the roaches but I am gonna say not -- did you move the UVB up 2 inches or so? Start there -- please post a pic of the tank so I can see

Tank is 40 gallons. The only way to raise the UVB would be to put it on top of the screen which is pretty thick.

IMG_3795.jpg
412B0F71-97AD-4B29-A145-FAFEF42883B5.jpeg

Bruce Wayne

Hatchling Dragon
It's a wide hole it can go on top get a piece of basking decor place directly under the uvb 8-10 inches - is he sitting under the uvb now w/ no basking decor under it?
Confused.....when I got the tank I was told the holes were too small to place it on top. As is stands now the UVB is INSIDE the tank and his basking decor site about 10 inches directly under it. Are you sure I can put the light on the top?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Confused.....when I got the tank I was told the holes were too small to place it on top. As is stands now the UVB is INSIDE the tank and his basking decor site about 10 inches directly under it. Are you sure I can put the light on the top?
Yes- it's not a fine mesh like a screen door

Bruce Wayne

Hatchling Dragon
Yes- it's not a fine mesh like a screen door

I'm sorry, don't mean to be a pain, but I want to get this right. At one point you said it needs to be 12-15 inches away and 2 posts above you say 8-10 inches. Is it 12-15 inside the tank and 8-10 outside the tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry, don't mean to be a pain, but I want to get this right. At one point you said it needs to be 12-15 inches away and 2 posts above you say 8-10 inches. Is it 12-15 inside the tank and 8-10 outside the tank?
Yes-

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If I move the UVB outside the tank, how would I know if she is getting sufficient light?
You can get a solar meter but they are really expensive like over $200- you don't haft to move it if you don't want - I am just wondering if this is the reason for the behavior -- do this you need to get something directly underneath it - what is the distance from uvb to the floor? Is she basking under it w/ the way it's placed now

Bruce Wayne

Hatchling Dragon
You can get a solar meter but they are really expensive like over $200- you don't haft to move it if you don't want - I am just wondering if this is the reason for the behavior -- do this you need to get something directly underneath it - what is the distance from uvb to the floor? Is she basking under it w/ the way it's placed now
Yes, she basks under it for a couple of hours in the morning and then on and off all day. Maybe I'll leave the light and get a lower piece of basking decor.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, she basks under it for a couple of hours in the morning and then on and off all day.
What is the distance from uvb to floor? If it's 15 and under your good anything higher the rays will be weaker- I need to reread your post

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She needs more basking decor for sure- she needs a hide please look at PetSmart they have nice decor for dragons make sure you get stuff that accomodates her size

Bruce Wayne

Hatchling Dragon
She needs more basking decor for sure- she needs a hide please look at PetSmart they have nice decor for dragons make sure you get stuff that accomodates her size
She has 2 hides. One was taken out when I took the picture. Pooped on it.....

Bruce Wayne

Hatchling Dragon
What is the distance from uvb to floor? If it's 15 and under your good anything higher the rays will be weaker- I need to reread your post
I'll measure when I get home. I know you probably hear this a lot, but your help is GREATLY appreciated. You're the best!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'll measure when I get home. I know you probably hear this a lot, but your help is GREATLY appreciated. You're the best!!
Your welcome- it's trial and error when they are not eating - - especially when they are that young and should be eating like a horse- did you get some bsfl ordered

Bruce Wayne

Hatchling Dragon
Your welcome- it's trial and error when they are not eating - - especially when they are that young and should be eating like a horse- did you get some bsfl ordered
Ordering today. How do you store them? How long do I have before they turn into actual flies? Yuck.

Latest posts