• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does my beardie have tail rot

Helios

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 5 month old beardie and i recently noticed the tip of his tail seems to he falling off. I am unsure whether its tail rot or something else. He lives in a 20g tank with carpet. He gets fed crickets, rehydrated veggies, and dry insects. He doesn’t seem to be acting any differently and lives alone.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 5 month old beardie and i recently noticed the tip of his tail seems to he falling off. I am unsure whether its tail rot or something else. He lives in a 20g tank with carpet. He gets fed crickets, rehydrated veggies, and dry insects. He doesn’t seem to be acting any differently and lives alone.

Any help or advice is appreciated!
I see a crimp-- if the tail is dead at the end it may fall off- I need to see a better pic of it - I can post some info on tail rot in the morning- is the tail turning black all the way around? Your dragon is way to big for a 20 gallon tank- please look at upgrading to a 120 gallon- I can post links for tanks but he needs to have a bigger home-

Helios

Bearded Dragon Egg
I see a crimp-- if the tail is dead at the end it may fall off- I need to see a better pic of it - I can post some info on tail rot in the morning- is the tail turning black all the way around? Your dragon is way to big for a 20 gallon tank- please look at upgrading to a 120 gallon- I can post links for tanks but he needs to have a bigger home-
the tip seems to just barely be hanging on but it doesnt seem to be black. Working on getting him a new tank

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Heres another pic.
Ok keep.an eye on it - get some raw unfiltered honey- example manuka- dip the tail in it- this will kill infection-- when it falls off keep up w/ the honey till it scabs over- NO crickets in the tank-- they will go straight for the tail-- carpet is a pain to keep clean - you can look at some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank-- clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 wipe down w/ a wet dish rag/ cloth- there are some good tanks on line - do not buy from a pet store you will over pay - your dragon needs a good diet- fresh salads everyday and live insects- better to buy those on line as well-- the most important thing is your lighting and uvb- no coils for uvb they are a health hazard - surface basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- small tanks are hard to keep temps correct

Helios

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok keep.an eye on it - get some raw unfiltered honey- example manuka- dip the tail in it- this will kill infection-- when it falls off keep up w/ the honey till it scabs over- NO crickets in the tank-- they will go straight for the tail-- carpet is a pain to keep clean - you can look at some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank-- clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 wipe down w/ a wet dish rag/ cloth- there are some good tanks on line - do not buy from a pet store you will over pay - your dragon needs a good diet- fresh salads everyday and live insects- better to buy those on line as well-- the most important thing is your lighting and uvb- no coils for uvb they are a health hazard - surface basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- small tanks are hard to keep temps correct
Where would you recommend getting a tank from? Im not sure which dimensions to get either. Oh and do you think sand is a good substrate?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Where would you recommend getting a tank from? Im not sure which dimensions to get either. Oh and do you think sand is a good substrate?
NO sand --- too much risk for impaction - I posted about the shelf liner for now -- here are some websites for tanks
https://www.zenhabitats.com/product...0484&msclkid=e575bc13738d174e6918d867da4e27b5 I have two of these tanks--
https://symtonbsf.com/products/4-x2-x2-aluminum-reptile-enclosure
Zen habitats sells a black matt to fit the 120 gallon tank - they are nice mats I use them in my tanks - what are you using for a UVB? NO coils please --- what brand of basking light are you using?

Helios

Bearded Dragon Egg
NO sand --- too much risk for impaction - I posted about the shelf liner for now -- here are some websites for tanks
https://www.zenhabitats.com/product...0484&msclkid=e575bc13738d174e6918d867da4e27b5 I have two of these tanks--
https://symtonbsf.com/products/4-x2-x2-aluminum-reptile-enclosure
Zen habitats sells a black matt to fit the 120 gallon tank - they are nice mats I use them in my tanks - what are you using for a UVB? NO coils please --- what brand of basking light are you using?
Thanks for the tank recommendations! Really going to help with the tank search. Im using T8 UVB bulbs which is what our vet recommended. They aren’t coils. Using zoomed 100w bulb which seems to be heating fine to me.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the tank recommendations! Really going to help with the tank search. Im using T8 UVB bulbs which is what our vet recommended. They aren’t coils. Using zoomed 100w bulb which seems to be heating fine to me.
The T 8 is how old and where do you have it? They need to be unobstructed --- NO screen between the bulb and is it a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 or another brand?

Helios

Bearded Dragon Egg
The T 8 is how old and where do you have it? They need to be unobstructed --- NO screen between the bulb and is it a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 or another brand?
Its 4 months old Reptisun 10.0 and its over his basking spot. I have it on his tank. How would i have the UVB light not over the screen?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Its 4 months old Reptisun 10.0 and its over his basking spot. I have it on his tank. How would i have the UVB light not over the screen?
Either take the screen off - cut the screen or place inside and hang w/ these 3 M Velcro fasteners or long plastic zip ties or picture hanging wire- I recommend that one

Helios

Bearded Dragon Egg
Either take the screen off - cut the screen or place inside and hang w/ these 3 M Velcro fasteners or long plastic zip ties or picture hanging wire- I recommend that one
How would i attach the zip ties to the uvb fixture?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How would i attach the zip ties to the uvb fixture?
It would need to be wrapped around the fixture
1685398419487.png

These look like coat hangers but I am not sure but something like this

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks! Didn’t know they had to he hung inside the tank.
They can sit on top of the screen but your screen MUST be a wide hole type -- fine mesh like screen doors block UVB by 30%

Helios

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do you know if canned insects are good for my beardie? I want to get some but I’m not sure if I can use it in his regular diet or if its more of a treat. And is it ok to feed my beardie dried insects regularly or should that also be kept as a treat?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you know if canned insects are good for my beardie? I want to get some but I’m not sure if I can use it in his regular diet or if its more of a treat. And is it ok to feed my beardie dried insects regularly or should that also be kept as a treat?
Personally I would not feed any dried insects / pellets of any kind- fresh is always best along w/ live insects- if you need websites to get insects / worms I can post some for you -- the dried insects will dry them out unless your hydrating them but even then I would not feed them --

Helios

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im going to be out for two weeks and I have someone coming over to feed them. I won’t be able to supply them with live food those two weeks so i was wondering what the best alternative would be.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Im going to be out for two weeks and I have someone coming over to feed them. I won’t be able to supply them with live food those two weeks so i was wondering what the best alternative would be.
Your dragon is 5 months old? He needs live insects 2-3 times per day --- please supply him w/ live insects for two weeks- your dragon needs the protein that is his main diet --- canned crickets but I dont recommend them - he also needs fresh salads every day -- he may not eat them the canned insects--- and if he doesnt hes going to be very hungry when you come home --- what are you feeding him now?

Latest posts