• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Designing a new Habitat to build at home, need advice

Bryce Anthony

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I'll be sure to post my progress once I get started. But yeah, I'm a bit fearful of how much this is going to cost me. I decided not to think about money until the design was finished because I didn't want to let price discourage me from a great design. Once I start shopping, we'll have to see how I feel about that decision haha

Bryce Anthony

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So I haven't had the chance to actually get started yet. Of course, this means I've been losing my mind obsessing about the design and how to perfect it. And I started thinking about another possible addition.

I was thinking about the possibility of creating fake rock structures. I've seen a lot of information on the internet about how to build fake rock formations using foam (styrofoam or insulating foam), grout, and sealant, as it seems to be really popular. I've noticed there are members of this forum who appear to have created structures this way, but there also are some who warm against the use of styrofoam due to dangerous fumes. Even inside multiple layers of grout and sealant, are these fumes still a concern? Is there any other material I could use to construct the shape of my formation before applying grout that would be safer?

I'm sure I could find a way to accomplish most of what I want with real rocks or purchased hides and basking areas, but if creating fake rocks is possible, it would seem to be an easier way to create something closer to what I want.

Bryce Anthony

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
A lot of the info I've read just says you have to leave it out and allow it to cure completely before using it. Some people say a few days, one person said two weeks.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have never done it myself, but know a few who have used both styrofoam & the spray insulating foam without issues. I think it is like so many other things that depend on a few variables. Some people just don't use common sense & use styrofoam for a back wall then put a heat bulb adjacent or right above it, causing problems, then all the warnings come out saying that any kind of structure out of foam is dangerous. Personally, I feel that with a little caution, common sense, good sealing inside & out would be fine. Another option may be Paper Mache painted or otherwise sealed, with a grout overlay (possibly reinforced with plastic or steel mesh/screen) would also work. Again, never tried it, just an idea that just popped into my head. Would be no danger of fumes.

Bryce Anthony

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Alright, I'll keep considering it then. See if I can come up with a plan for what I would do if I went through with it. And I'll make sure to read as much as I can on how to make it as safely as possible. I'll try to work around using foam if I can. Thanks :)

Bryce Anthony

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
About how deep should the sand be?
I started drawing up some ideas and then I realized I wasn't factoring in how much space the actual sand would be taking up in the viv.
Her current habitat in just a glass tank that I open from the screen on the top so I haven't really thought about how deep it is when I pour it in. But for this project, I need to know how much space to leave available for the sand.

Bryce Anthony

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Here are some pictures of the kind of thing I would like to build. (Ignore the three units in the back, left over from when I was testing different looks)
In reality, I'd probably make it look a bit more rounded on the edges like natural rock. This was the easiest way to represent it with the program.
habitatinterior1.jpg

The three circles on the cave in the back would be indentations cut so I could fit her food bowls there where they would be safe from any sand contamination.

habitatinterior2.jpg

opencave.jpg

This entire lid to the cave would be moveable so I could do any cleaning needed within the cave. The rock formation does reduce the amount of sand in the viv but I've decided I'd like to still keep sand on the floor of the cave for her. Just how large to make the inside of the cave is something I'm not sure about yet. I've read a couple things that suggest that hides should be a snug fit, but I want it to be big enough that she'll still use it as an adult. Any suggestions dimensions on a hide for an adult?

The dome in the front of the habitat is meant to represent the exo terra cave i'm going to buy. I wasn't going to try to make it look exactly right but it's the right dimensions. I think I'll likely get a branch for the empty space on the right. The shape on the left is just a rock. I've already found one that I think I'll bake and put in there. And right now, I have a little fake cactus in her habitat that i'll probably place into the new one as well.

How does this look? Any suggestions?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't recommend using a cave as a basking spot ... Should it go inside, it would be like an oven, a rock or raised Branch would be more practical. Otherwise it looks fantastic. Have you done any pricing yet, to complete it?

Bryce Anthony

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I've seen some information recommending both warm and cold hides so the dragon doesn't need to choose between the desire to hide and its desired temperature. But if that's a bad Idea, I can just put another rock there instead.

It's looking like it's going to be a couple hundred for the wood. And I've already spent a hundred on accessories. I bought two 2' UV bulbs, Exo-terra's light cycle unit and a surge protector with programmable timers. The light cycle unit allows for a 20 minute period for the UV lights to turn on completely, simulating sunrise, and after 12 hours, it takes another 20 minutes to dim them off. I'm going to have my heating bulbs set to turn on right as the UV bulbs begin there 12 hour cycle and then they'll shut off just as the UVs begin to dim. I also bought an infrared thermometer gun and a new poop scoop.

I think the wood is only thing that'll cost a good deal of money. All the other materials are pretty inexpensive. Although, I don't know how much exactly the fake rock would cost, though everything I've read says it's pretty inexpensive.

All in all, I think the whole thing is probably going to be between 3 and 4 hundred. But if it works out, I think it'll be worth being broke for a little while haha

Latest posts