• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

crooked spine?????

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So I just read about mbd, this makes me very sad...he has proper temps, uv lighting,food,baths...the only thing that I read is possibly calcium overdose, so is it dust once a day not twice, and only how many days...I'm sad, I tried so hard to make sure I dud everything right....I can't wait to get him to a vet..
Thanks for all the advice and input, I really appreciate it! Without this site and everyone on we would be lost
Thanks again

Please dont beat yourself up thinking you have done something wrong. We recently had it confirmed that one of our girls has MBD. When I took her to the vet he said that she probably had it from birth, but only as she is getting older that it has become more obvious. Our girl was the smallest of all her siblings, she was 3 months old, but the size of a 3 week old, and he said that the fact she was so small and not getting enough to eat before we got her, to them be getting everything she needs & eating properly all added to it too.
Get him checked out, your vet will be able to put your mind at rest & be able to advise you on what to do next.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm also worried about MBD as yoda wasonly fed crickets - very minimal- and rarely heat. A basiic fluro (not UV) and no calcium or vitamins

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm also worried about MBD as yoda wasonly fed crickets - very minimal- and rarely heat. A basiic fluro (not UV) and no calcium or vitamins
I think if he had it he would be showing some signs by now. My first female has a slight case of MBD, but that was thru her being so young & laying as many clutches of eggs as she did (she was only just a year old when she laid her first clutch) and her lips are sort of spongy at the front not firm like they normaly are. Our worst one with MBD is our smallest girl. When we rescued her we were told she was 3 months old, but she was only the size of a 3 week old, and so much smaller compared to all her brothers & sisters we also rescued. We found homes for the others, who are all fine no health problems, but felt we couldnt give the responsibility of the little one to someone else. She is currently undergoing treatment at the vet for it as for a while there she couldnt hold her own body weight she was constantly lying on her tummy unable to hunt food, could only eat what walked passed her nose. We had noticed since getting her that she would walk on her wrists rather than her feet at the front, but just put it down to being her. It got worse as she got bigger. We are 4 weeks on from the first vet visit with her and she is beginning to improve, but I think it going to be a long slow process.
Our vet told us that the reason for this is that with her small size then coming to us and getting everything she was needing food, lighting, vit & calcium wise that then gave her some rapid growth which resulted in the MBD. But like all our Dragons she is one of the family so we will look after her just as we do the rest of them :)

Guitardude313

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sometimes bad genetics play a big part. My beardie has a very curvy spine and i’ve always done everything right. I even tried metal halide lighting hoping it would help. I got her from petco. From what i hear they are their own suppliers and they do in house breeding. There isnt enough diversity in the gene pool and it leads to poor health. Its very sad and i think petco and those big branch pet store need to be shut down and burn in hell.

Guitardude313

Bearded Dragon Egg
She can still get around but she has to hobble. She struggles to walk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What are you using for UVB ? Brand and bulb and coil or tube and where in the tank is it? How long have you had the dragon --- when babies they need good UVB or they will end up w/ MBD --- coils are one of the worst to have ---

Guitardude313

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes, i am aware of their uvb needs and check with my uvb meter regularly. Thank you though. She is several years old. I was trying to say that sometimes bad genetics are the culprit. I have another dragon from fantastic breeders and he is doing exceptionally great. Petco’s inhouse breeding doesnt provide enough genetic diversity. When they dont sell them they go back as breeders. It leads to inbreeding their reptiles which leads to poor health and deformities like her crooked spine.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, i am aware of their uvb needs and check with my uvb meter regularly. Thank you though. She is several years old. I was trying to say that sometimes bad genetics are the culprit. I have another dragon from fantastic breeders and he is doing exceptionally great. Petco’s inhouse breeding doesnt provide enough genetic diversity. When they dont sell them they go back as breeders. It leads to inbreeding their reptiles which leads to poor health and deformities like her crooked spine.
I see well I hope she lives a long life - sad about the breeding part -- I am not real familiar w/ breeding at all - so I tend to stay out of that dept