• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

crooked spine?????

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys I'm concerned about storm!
I've been feeding storm the past 3 days 3 super worms a day(am) today was the first time he had a bowel movement, it was a big one lots of white...but to me it looks like his spine ( his back) is crooked with a harder spot where it seems to be bent...he is still very active and acting normal....these supers aren't hovering or eating there way out are they? I'm freaking out, I've been concerned since I started giving them to him! They are Def. Bigger then the space between his eyes! Am I crazy or is it normal for them to be a little bent??? I'm just scared..
Thanks

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Up the calcium a bit for a while. Also, if they are bigger than the space between Storm's eyes, the stop feeding them. She/he is too small yet. Get basic mealworms (you can refrigerate those up to a month, and I add some cricket feed to their keeping bowl). I've heard of spines being a little crooked in the past from others. They straighten out over time... Give a dusting TWO times a day for now. Say a couple of weeks and just closely monitor Storm's back, demeanor, eating habits and yeah, even the poops... When you feed new things, it can upset their tract a bit and they poop odd looking stuff a few times.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
large bowel movements with large urates can certainly be a sign of constipation. i would be interested to know your dragons weight and length. some dragons simply dont tolerate supers well although i wouldnt give up on them just yet. that being said, keep in mind although mealworms are smaller, they can be even harder to digest. if your want to know if the worms are the culprit then ya got to play in the poop a little:eek:. look to see how much of the worms shell you can actually see in the stool. if its all squishy and just a few shell segments then you are ok. if its looks like half of the stool is nothing but shell segments then its time to back off. same with crickets, if you see more legs and wing pieces than normal then digestion may not be happening properly. ideally your guy should poop once per day or more if it is a young dragon. also, i have learned this the hard way, keep yo dragon hydrated to help keep things moving and like Brett said, can you post some pictures?

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes I will let me get home, but as far as bowel movements he does not go every day, never has its usually every other. I will Def. Play in the poop, lol just to see what I see I won't feed him meal worms I've been told by many not too, something I just don't want to take a chance with...I will post a few pics soon thanks

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ironically Storm pooped today, so I examined it, it looks great no shells or anything out of the ordinary, or from what I can see, I actually didnt see shells at all...anywho, here are some pics!

Attachments

• IMAG0252[1].jpg
    IMAG0252[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 694
  • IMAG0248[1].jpg
    IMAG0248[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 684
  • IMAG0225[1].jpg
    IMAG0225[1].jpg
    925.5 KB · Views: 621
  • IMAG0251[1].jpg
    IMAG0251[1].jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 675

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Is that how his back appears all the time? Can he straighten it out if he wants to?

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
has he always been like that or did it just start? ive seen guys get like that from mbd or birth defects. make sure you have proper uvb for one thing and if it just started, check with an exotic vet if you can.

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I really think it just started! I have the reptisun 10 bulb in there...I looked for a vet in my area and nothing came up, ill search around on here.
Thanks

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I can straighten him when u hold him but he retreats right back to that way, when he sits on his basking spot he straightens out a little more but for the most part he is always a little crooked

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I really think it just started! I have the reptisun 10 bulb in there...I looked for a vet in my area and nothing came up, ill search around on here.
Thanks
http://www.arav.org/ECOMARAV/timssnet/amm/tnt_mdsearch.cfm go to this link and click on member directory on the left side of page, then click on state and choose your state, dont fill out the other info and it will give you a list of vets reptile vets in pennsylvania

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I suppose its possible eve he spends allot of time like that if not that im guessing MBD

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So I just read about mbd, this makes me very sad...he has proper temps, uv lighting,food,baths...the only thing that I read is possibly calcium overdose, so is it dust once a day not twice, and only how many days...I'm sad, I tried so hard to make sure I dud everything right....I can't wait to get him to a vet..
Thanks for all the advice and input, I really appreciate it! Without this site and everyone on we would be lost
Thanks again