• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crix or Mil Worms

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
Ok i Has a small issue. We have fixed the issue with the crix hideing on my baby bd. But he still dosnt go after them all that heartedly . He will eat them if he has to but it dosnt seem that he really enjoys them. now when we put mil worms in he goes freaken nuts. I know those are suposed to be a treat and all but if sprinkled with cal dust, would they make a good replacment for crix. The crix dont have a hide on are baby bd, he gives up on the chase. He may get 1-3 and thats it. Any thoughts?

Pat B

Super Moderator
Well....if he is hungry he will eat the crix but the crix do like to hide. My beardie gets probably too many mealies because where I buy my crix is not close to my house so I run out fast. I have tried moist pellets....he turns up his nose on pellets. He is just now starting to eat greens and he is 5 months. I would try just the crix for maybe a couple of days. If he doesn't eat with 10 - 15 minutes take the crix out of his viv. Some people will feed their beardies in a separate plastic container then the crix have no where to hide. I like that idea. Then he wouldn't have to chase them and if he is hungry he will eat.
I have also found that beardies themselves know their needs. Hungry....eat! Too hot....move! Poo....wherever etc etc. Just my thoughts on the little critters. It does sounds like yours has an 'attitude' .... just like mine!! lol....Spike wants to be the Alpha but I won't let him....:cool:

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
Normaly they have a hide. Today i removed there hide though. He ate one then turned his nose up at the rest. he loves greens. Just not done in a blender. i have to figure a way to make them small enough for him....{little picky bugger.....just like me but still} I am just a little worried since he dosnt eat all that much live critters unless its mil worms. I am beginning to think that loner bit he showed in the tank when we picked him out was a show. he ran the show
:rolleyes::D:cool:

Would it be a bad thing to eat just milies? just not as much as crix?

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
Cricket (before gut loading)
1:12
21.3%
6.0%
3.2%
70% Gut-load & dust to increase calcium
Mealworm
1:25
20.3%
12.7%
1.7%
62% Low calcium, high phosphorus & fat, hard chitin shell

the last 3 numbers. am i reading this wrong. The mealworms have less suger%, less fat% and yes it will take more to get higher proten. Now is high phosphorus bad for them?

Pat B

Super Moderator
Is he possibly shedding and you don't know it? I have had that happen before. Spike gets more mealies than crix and is just now starting to eat greens....when he feels like it!!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cricket (before gut loading)
1:12 - Calcium to Phosphorus
21.3% - Protein
6.0% - Fat
3.2% - Fiber
70% - Water Gut-load & dust to increase calcium
Mealworm
1:25 - Calcium to Phosphorus
20.3% - Protein
12.7% - Fat
1.7% - Fiber
62% - Water Low calcium, high phosphorus & fat, hard chitin shell

the last 3 numbers. am i reading this wrong. The mealworms have less suger%, less fat% and yes it will take more to get higher proten. Now is high phosphorus bad for them? Yes
Amendment to Supplementation: Here is an article providing a good explanation to give an understanding on the Calcium to Phosphorous & Fat to Protien ratio ...

The main points to look out for are the fat content and the Ca: P ratio.​
Ca: P Ratio and Reptiles
Many have heard about the Ca/P ratio but not many understand what it means to your reptiles. The Ca: P ratio is simply the ratio of Calcium compared to Phosphorus and so a Ca: P ratio of 1 (one or 1:1) would mean that Calcium & Phosphorus are found in equal quantities, a Ca: P ratio of 0.5 (half or 0.5:1) means that there is half the amount of Calcium than there is Phosphorus. An ideal Ca: P ratio would be around 2 (two or 2:1) as this will allow calcium to be easily absorbed.
So why is this important? It has to do with the way Calcium is absorbed by your reptile's intestine. For any calcium to be absorbed, there needs to be at least equal quantities of Calcium and Phosphorus in their food. If the Phosphorus is much higher, then not only will it prevent calcium being absorbed, but may even leach calcium that is already present in your reptile's body. This can lead to serious problems such as MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease). When Calcium and Phosphorus are dissolved in equal quantities, it forms an insoluble salt (Calcium Phosphate) which is very difficult to absorb by your reptile's intestine. If there is a large amount of phosphorus compared to the calcium, then all the calcium will be bound by the phosphorus and none will be available for your reptile. If there is a large excess of calcium, then no phosphorus can be absorbed, which is also a vital mineral but not needed in as large a quantity as calcium. Ideally the Ca/P ratio for most vertebrates is around 2 (also written as 2:1).
Fat vs Protein
Another thing to look out for is the amount of fat compared to protein. Fat contains twice as many calories as protein, but doesn't provide any of the nutritional benefits that are gained from proteins from their amino acids which are essential for the health of any living creature. The calories from fat are often called "empty calories" in dietary terminology. Most insectivorous reptiles will receive greater benefit from a high protein/low fat diet.
Crickets are a better staple feeder for your BD than mealworms. Pat brings up a good point about the possible shed. BDs seem to normally go for worms, but the majority have a much higher Fat content & this is why they are recommended as periodic feeders.

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
So today i removed everything from his tank when i fed him his crixs. he loved it, and lived up to his name. He only eats 4 crixs thou. but im just happy to see him going nuts at the hunt. Now here is a question for you. Because this is something that i was seeing in him. When he missed a crix a lot he would get made and give up. Is that norm? Today when i removed all obsticals he had a blast since the little buggers really had no chance.

Pat B

Super Moderator
So today i removed everything from his tank when i fed him his crixs. he loved it, and lived up to his name. He only eats 4 crixs thou. but im just happy to see him going nuts at the hunt. Now here is a question for you. Because this is something that i was seeing in him. When he missed a crix a lot he would get made and give up. Is that norm? Today when i removed all obsticals he had a blast since the little buggers really had no chance.
That is way too funny....beardies can do some funny stuff!! Wouldn't it be easier to put him into a plastic type tub with the crix then you wouldn't have to move everything out of his enclosure. Good to hear he had a good run!! :D I wouldn't worry that he didn't eat all the crix....if he had wanted that cricket....he would have chased it down....

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
thats the thing. i was just trying to see what he would do. you know. see if that was the problem. i guess i found it. but i will say this little lizard has one huge ego and attitude issue........little bugger.....:eek:.....wait he does remind me of someone thou.....

Pat B

Super Moderator
thats the thing. i was just trying to see what he would do. you know. see if that was the problem. i guess i found it. but i will say this little lizard has one huge ego and attitude issue........little bugger.....:eek:.....wait he does remind me of someone thou.....
Your beardie and my beardie must be brothers!! He has the ego....thinks he is the alpha but not in my house!!....and has an attitude. And yes my beardie reminds me of me!! Too funny!! :D

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
How old is your BD? For young dragons it's best to have the bare minimum in the enclosure.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
2 months. i have a basking log, hide, and a green net thingy....
I would remove the hide, still too young, and crickets will hide out in it. They hunt better when they're younger in a more open area. Is the net raised?

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
yeah its up. we removed the hide last night before reading this lol.....great minds think alike....:cool:.....whats bugging me is everyone is saying that a baby bd will eat alot. mine wont ever eat more then 4 crix at one sitting...is he watching his weight?

Pat B

Super Moderator
How many times a day do you feed your beardie and how little are the crickets? I don't worry about how much Spike eats because only he knows when he is full. I can tell sometimes because his belly gets big and then I know a big poo is around the corner....:rolleyes: I only have 2 feedings but Spike is over 5 months. 8 am and 5 pm. Seems to work for him and if doesn't eat....oh well....I take the food out and wait for the next time to feed him. :confused:

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
the crixs are small to med. i feed him at 8 to 8:30 and 5 to 5:30. Sometimes he will only eat 1 crix for 3 to 4 meals at a time. Sometimes he eats 4. I know im over worrying this. But it just seems like so little to be eating with what everyone has been saying. The only differance is Spazz LOVES his Greens. Today we moved the crix into a coffee can we set up as there home, cleanned out there old cage { when i say clean i mean CLEANED, dish soup, HOT WATER, 10X.} So we tried feeding him in a differant location, new thing for him so it will take some getting used to.

Pat B

Super Moderator
the crixs are small to med. i feed him at 8 to 8:30 and 5 to 5:30. Sometimes he will only eat 1 crix for 3 to 4 meals at a time. Sometimes he eats 4. I know im over worrying this. But it just seems like so little to be eating with what everyone has been saying. The only differance is Spazz LOVES his Greens. Today we moved the crix into a coffee can we set up as there home, cleanned out there old cage { when i say clean i mean CLEANED, dish soup, HOT WATER, 10X.} So we tried feeding him in a differant location, new thing for him so it will take some getting used to.
I fed Spike mealies this morning and he turned up his nose. Wouldn't eat those or his greens. Then sometime this morning he had a big poo....so I tried the mealies again and he gobbled them up. Every beardie is different. I have come to learn not too worry....if he is hungry he will eat....if he is hot he will move to a cooler spot. They seem to know what they need. If you have done what needs to be done as a beardie owner and your beardie cocks an attitude....then shame on beardie!! You will be ok as time goes by and you get to know his habits better.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
yeah its up. we removed the hide last night before reading this lol.....great minds think alike....:cool:.....whats bugging me is everyone is saying that a baby bd will eat alot. mine wont ever eat more then 4 crix at one sitting...is he watching his weight?
If Spaz is eating a ton of greens, that may be why he's not hungry as much. You've got the temps about 110 under the basking spot, and 80-85 on the cool end, making sure he gets baths 1-2 times a week then he will be able to eat what he needs as long as there's not too much clutter in the tank. Tends to stress them out. Also with the little ones I've heard it's not the greatest idea to try to feed them in a separate enclosure, they take too much acclimation time but you might have good luck with it. I prefer feeding crickets in a separate enclosure when they're a bit older and get stressed out less easily.

Latest posts