• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cricket Bites

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi I know we have all heard stories about cricket bites, but not many experience it. so I thot I would share my experience in the hope it helps other people & their Dragons.

We got up one morning to find one of our girls with a 1cm diameter wound in the back of her leg. Not a huge size to us, but for a beardie it's massive. The blood loss from it was very serious, I had to apply a preassure dressing to stop the bleeding until we could get her to our reptile vet. When we got her to the vet and he took the dressing off the bleeding immediately started again so the only thing they could do was staple the wound. He dressed the wound and then gave her antibiotics. Also due to the blood loss she was very anemic. Three weeks passed and we took her back on Monday for her check up.

The vet removed the dressing only to find the wound had not healed as he hoped it would. It was still quite weepy and mucky so she is still on antibiotics and now needs the wound flushed twice a day with an iodine solution. She is still anemic, tho slightly better than she was, but I have been told by the vet it could take her a few months to get back to normal. We how have to play the waiting game to see it the scab over the wound comes off naturally in the next couple of weeks, but if it has not came off in the next 3 weeks the vet will remove it when we go back for her to be checked again.

As you can see from having an injury on her leg it is taking such a long time for it to heal. We always try to be vigilant that there are no crickets in the vivs at night and out of our 6 dragons she is the only one this has happened to. But obviously there had been some hiding in the drift wood in the viv, we have now removed the driftwood and have a smoother Java Wood in it's place where there no little nooks and crannies for them to hide in and we have a good look round the viv before the lights go out to make sure there are definately none left and any that are we remove.

Here are a few pic of her leg too just so you can see the damage caused.
. Y 827.JPG . Y 830.JPG . Y 831.JPG . Y 832.JPG

I know it goes on a bit, but hopefully it will help someone.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Did the vet give you any probiotics to give her

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi everyone, just a quick update on Dusty, the scab has finally come off her leg taking the staples with it. It is looking good and clean so will get her back to the vet this week for him to check it and hopefully she will be on the mend. Will put up a pic just as soon as I have transfered it from my phone. Thanks for all your kind words - it's appreciated :)

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Couple of pics of dustys leg now that the scab has come off, it's looking so much better, altho the pics make it look redder & more painful than it is lol. Going to vet on Thursday so hopefully she get the all clear and that be it on the mend :)
. Y 002.JPG
. Y 006.JPG

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
8 weeks on Dusty is doing great. She is now eating & hunting as normal, exploring all over the house as she always used to do till this happened to her. So happy she back to her usual self, the leg still healing slowly tho, heres a couple of recent pics.
Dusty leg update 020.JPG
Dusty leg update 020.JPG

This one is from above an you can see the deformity she now has in her leg
Dusty leg update 022.JPG

But the main thing is she is here & on the mend :D

Attachments

• Dusty leg update 021.JPG
    Dusty leg update 021.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 332

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
wow, that seems like it has healed up pretty fast!! that is awesome news! so glad to hear she is more of her usual self!!
The vet said she may even eventually get some scales back over it, I'm just so happy she still with us as out of all our BD's she is my Daughters favorite as she was one of our original 2 and has been thru so much in her short life. But I feel you find that if anything going to happen it always the same one it happens to :oops:

Latest posts