• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

coccidia woes - to dilute or not to dilute ammonia?

leftayy

Bearded Dragon Egg
My 1.5-year-old bearded dragon is currently undergoing treatment for coccidia. In the meantime I'd like to use ammonia to kill the coccidia in the tank, but I'm seeing conflicting information about whether to dilute the ammonia. Let me lay out why I'm conflicted:
  • Online sources say coccidia can be eradicated using 10% ammonia solution. I'm assuming this means 1 part ammonia to 9 parts water.
  • The ammonia that I purchased is already in a 10% solution
  • Instructions on the ammonia bottle say to dilute the solution even further—I think it was one cup solution to an additional gallon of water.
On this forum, I've seen various people say "don't dilute" AND "do dilute." Which is it?

I don't want to create any health hazards by using undiluted ammonia, but I also want to make sure the coccidia is wiped out. Really at a loss on what to do.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My 1.5-year-old bearded dragon is currently undergoing treatment for coccidia. In the meantime I'd like to use ammonia to kill the coccidia in the tank, but I'm seeing conflicting information about whether to dilute the ammonia. Let me lay out why I'm conflicted:
  • Online sources say coccidia can be eradicated using 10% ammonia solution. I'm assuming this means 1 part ammonia to 9 parts water.
  • The ammonia that I purchased is already in a 10% solution
  • Instructions on the ammonia bottle say to dilute the solution even further—I think it was one cup solution to an additional gallon of water.
On this forum, I've seen various people say "don't dilute" AND "do dilute." Which is it?

I don't want to create any health hazards by using undiluted ammonia, but I also want to make sure the coccidia is wiped out. Really at a loss on what to do.
I am not sure either --- I dont / didnt use that when Blaze had parasites -- I used F10 a vet disinfectant thats a concentrate -- it kills everything- and last a long time you can find it on Ebay or Amazon - I can see if I can find someone to help here ---
@Drache613

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am not sure either --- I dont / didnt use that when Blaze had parasites -- I used F10 a vet disinfectant thats a concentrate -- it kills everything- and last a long time you can find it on Ebay or Amazon - I can see if I can find someone to help here ---
@Drache613
The person I asked said this
I don't know for sure but I'd still dilute it some, better safe than sorry. Then rinse every bit of smell from the enclosure.

leftayy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Sadie,
Thanks for your input, I think I'll just rush order the F10. Even diluted, ammonia smells sooo bad.