• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Coccidia / Pinworms: Q about cleaning enclosure

mskatorew

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, everyone. New owners of a 3mo old bearded dragon obtained at expo from private breeder. Everything was going well, except for slightly watery, malodorous stool. Finally got to vet 3 weeks after bringing him home and setting up enclosure.

+ coccidia, + pinworms

We were given med for coccidia, two doses spaced 48 hours apart, and for pinworms every 14 days for four doses.

My main question is how to terminally clean the tank. It is a 120 gallon. We were instructed to use diluted bleach to clean all surfaces, an soak fake plants and other decor items in bleach. We were also told to get rid of all porous material, which means throwing away two large pieces of cork rounds, and several large pieces of maponi wood.

Does this sound right? Any other guidance regarding the timing and technique to terminally clean? And do we really need to get rid of all pieces of wood.

Can we put new stuff right back in to set up environment? Or do we need to have a grace period while he is being treated? Vet suggested give one dose, then the next day terminally clean, then the final dose one day later.

Also, how do we manage roach supply?

Thanks for any guidance.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, everyone. New owners of a 3mo old bearded dragon obtained at expo from private breeder. Everything was going well, except for slightly watery, malodorous stool. Finally got to vet 3 weeks after bringing him home and setting up enclosure.

+ coccidia, + pinworms

We were given med for coccidia, two doses spaced 48 hours apart, and for pinworms every 14 days for four doses.

My main question is how to terminally clean the tank. It is a 120 gallon. We were instructed to use diluted bleach to clean all surfaces, an soak fake plants and other decor items in bleach. We were also told to get rid of all porous material, which means throwing away two large pieces of cork rounds, and several large pieces of maponi wood.

Does this sound right? Any other guidance regarding the timing and technique to terminally clean? And do we really need to get rid of all pieces of wood.

Can we put new stuff right back in to set up environment? Or do we need to have a grace period while he is being treated? Vet suggested give one dose, then the next day terminally clean, then the final dose one day later.

Also, how do we manage roach supply?

Thanks for any guidance.
I would get rid of the cork pieces- your not going to be able to get the parasites out of them - it is best to have decor pieces one or two in the tank when being treated I would look at getting some decor pieces made out of resin ---- Pet Smart carries nice dragon decor - pieces that can be sprayed w/ F 10 - a vet disinfectant - it kills pretty much everything- it should be used daily to clean up the poop till parasites are gone- please NO enemas !! I dont understand the question about roach supply---

mskatorew

Bearded Dragon Egg
Regarding roaches, do I need to trash my current batch of roaches, or can I continue to feed from this batch?

What is the best way to make sure I am getting “clean“ roaches. I have gotten them from a local reptile store and from dubiaroaches.com.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Regarding roaches, do I need to trash my current batch of roaches, or can I continue to feed from this batch?

What is the best way to make sure I am getting “clean“ roaches. I have gotten them from a local reptile store and from dubiaroaches.com.
I have never had a problem w/ dubiaroaches.com and your roaches are fine

Latest posts