• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

carnivore care...how often????

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ok so i have just ordered some carnivore care as 2 of my bearded dragon DO NOT eat by themselves and i am really worried about them,
how often do i give them the cc and how much,....actually HOW do i even give it to them???
please help as i have never used this before and dont want to over do it or even under do it.

thanks in advance for your replies :)

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've never used this product before, hopefully, instructions for dosage are included for the different animals it can benefit.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
mix it 50/50 with critical care which is also made by oxbow and it acts as their veggies and fiber. i generally give 1 ml per 100 grams of weight up to 5 ml. 5 is the max i give at once ,even to my big guys. you'll need a large syringe from your vets office that measures in milliliters not one of the small ones. its easier with two people as one will hold the dragon while the other gently tugs on the beard pulling the mouth open and pushes the food in a little at a time. youll want to mix soft to a little runny so it will come of out the syringe. its not hard to do just take a little practice. i do it all the time as i deal with rescues and special needs animals.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I dont have the critical care :/ can I mix it with chicken and squash baby food? How often should I feed it to them? And I only have the small syringes and as im working for tue next 3 days wont have time to go get 1 can I use the small syringe for now?...thanks for your replies

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
if not using critical care the small syringe with be ok and id feed twice per day. if not using critical care then substitute a vegetable that they can have in baby food form so that they also get a little fiber. the carnivore care will have the protein they need. just make sure that they are pooping ok. a little liquid calcium from the vet will also help stimulate appetite. after a week or so, they should start to show a little interest in food on their own so still offer live in between and they may surprise you. keep us posted!

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
so is squash & chicken baby food ok to mix it with then? and what if they arent pooping well? can i not give it to them? n hopefully fingers crossed :) i definatley will be keeping you posted :)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
so is squash & chicken baby food ok to mix it with then? and what if they arent pooping well? can i not give it to them? n hopefully fingers crossed :) i definatley will be keeping you posted :)
Definitely no expert on carnivore care, but they don't poop well if they're not eating well. There's just not much in there to get out. I would guess you would be okay, but Richard sounds more like he's familiar with it.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I did think that :) I really hope it works for my zuko, ive made so many posts on here about him ever since I had him, theres always been somethink but hes still here amd he seems well lately but just wont eat :(

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I did think that :) I really hope it works for my zuko, ive made so many posts on here about him ever since I had him, theres always been somethink but hes still here amd he seems well lately but just wont eat :(
That is so sad! I hate it. I don't remember if you have been to the vet or not. Have you gotten a fecal flotation for parasites? Are you housing them together? That can create a problem with the less dominant ones not eating. What kind of substrate do you use again? Sorry, these questions seem random, but they all go through my mind when you're saying not eating and not pooping... I have a finicky lizard too.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ive had these questions thrown at me a thousand times, everythink is perfect, no they are most definatley not together, im using non-adhesive shelf lino, all temps r fine, hes hydrated, is well in himself he just isnt eating...i cannot send a fecal off untill he actually goes to the bathroom but im waiting patiently lol

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
ive had these questions thrown at me a thousand times, everythink is perfect, no they are most definatley not together, im using non-adhesive shelf lino, all temps r fine, hes hydrated, is well in himself he just isnt eating...i cannot send a fecal off untill he actually goes to the bathroom but im waiting patiently lol
I'm sorry, probably in other sections of the forum :(. Everything does sound perfect!

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Aww thats ok, tis very fustrating :( am just hoping this carnivore care works, still no poopy :( its also wierd how wen he was in the small tank he was fine, eating fine, then when we transfered him into the 4ft thats when he started going downhill, and its exactly the same with the other 2, rexii was happy as any think in the 3ft then we put him in a 4ft n he started hiding and loat his appetite, so weve put him in the smaller tank again, can it be that they sometimes just prefer smaller spaces?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Changing tanks should be considered & handled similar to bringing a new BD home. There environment has completely changed & can take a week to 10 days to acclimate to the new environment, which can affect it's appetite as well as other things. Just like a new Dragon, some quickly get used to the new home, others take longer.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Changing tanks should be considered & handled similar to bringing a new BD home. There environment has completely changed & can take a week to 10 days to acclimate to the new environment, which can affect it's appetite as well as other things. Just like a new Dragon, some quickly get used to the new home, others take longer.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Don't worry too much. Just try not to handle him too much right now. Let him get use to his new environment.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hes been in the 4ft now for 5 months :/ rexi was the 1 weve put back into a smaller tank, we are curremtly lookin for a smaller viv for zuko too

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hes been in the 4ft now for 5 months :/ rexi was the 1 weve put back into a smaller tank, we are curremtly lookin for a smaller viv for zuko too
Beardies usually like larger environments and the bigger the better. Of course, each lizard has its own personality.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
keep up the feedings as long as he's not gagging or having trouble breathing. it could take a week or more to get things moving. thats why i recommended the critical care. an exotic vet will know how to do an enema and get enough for a fecal float. have you tried actually putting a cricket or worm in his mouth? i also can stress enough the importance of keeping some liquid calcium (neocalglucon) on hand.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi richard, so we started him on the carnivore care yesterday so its just a sit back and wait sort of thing, I dont expect it to be too long before he starts to poop with this stuff, with the liquid calcium I rang my vet a few weeks ago as someone on .org recomended it, the vet said the only type of liquid calcium they have is for cows and big animals and wouldnt recommend giving it to zuko as its for such a big animal, I gave him 2ml of the cc mixed 50/50 with chicken amd squash baby food, on the packet it says once opened to store in the fridge for up to 7 days, does this mean it has no use after 7days?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi richard, so we started him on the carnivore care yesterday so its just a sit back and wait sort of thing, I dont expect it to be too long before he starts to poop with this stuff, with the liquid calcium I rang my vet a few weeks ago as someone on .org recomended it, the vet said the only type of liquid calcium they have is for cows and big animals and wouldnt recommend giving it to zuko as its for such a big animal, I gave him 2ml of the cc mixed 50/50 with chicken amd squash baby food, on the packet it says once opened to store in the fridge for up to 7 days, does this mean it has no use after 7days?
I have seen liquid calcium at pet stores, probably not the same strength as they would give at a reptile vet though :(. My local pet store carries it and I was wondering if that would be easier to just spray on the veggies (and it's in the reptile section next to the powdered calcium) since they don't get as much live prey. So... try your local reptile shop.

Latest posts