• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

CAN I HAVE 2 IN ONE TANK?

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It isnt in your animals best interest. You MIGHT find 2 females that tolerate each other but its toleration not getting along. With all due respect lizard lover I dont even house breeders together. If you care for your animals 1 dragon 1 tank is the best way to raise them.

DrAgOnS BrEaTh

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
IMO i wouldnt house 2 together. (maybe 2 females). male and female i dont see getting along. The male could over stress the female, fighting...etc.
my 2 males were bought at the same time from the same place as babies. 3 weeks later one has a knipped tail, ends up i have 2 males. I just caught this knipp in time it could have cost me a dragon. dragon fights get nasty.

Maureen Ahearn

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Wow, thank you,,, I appreciate all this info as I am new to this whole thing. I will leave her in her cage by herself. How old do they have to be to be mating??

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You dont want to breed her untill shes 350 grams roughly 12 to 18 months depends on the dragon

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
18 months to 24 months is a better window. At 12 months old its like a 15 year old girl having a kid. She can do it but it isnt in her best interest health-wise.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Starting 2 early will wear out the female, better 2 wait 4 sexual maturity instead of going by weight. It doesn't take much 2 fatten up a dragon.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for the correction you guys have more experience then i do. Go with what they say lol.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Lol well i dont ive had reptiles for yrs but the breeding thing is kinda new adventure.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol well i dont ive had reptiles for yrs but the breeding thing is kinda new adventure.
I had 2 put plans on pause 4 a bit. Hope 2 have something going on by the new year. Starting out with some beautiful dragons with great genetics. I'm really looking 4ward it & so should every1 else.;)

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Maureen, if you were puting another dragon with your girl you would have to ensure it was another female - I have 3 girls together and they are fine, but at this age it can be hard to sex them properly. I have heard of somepeople being told they have 2 females only to find out it is a male & a female. We were caught out that way too and by the time we found out the sex it was too late. Our female was only just a year old when she laid her first clutch of eggs and it caused her more problems than breeding at that age is worth. We had to take her to the vet to get 'dressed' so she can no longer get pregnant, we had to do this as after the first clutch she was laying infertile eggs every 4 weeks. She was exhausted, underweight and eventually got MBD due to the lack of calcium. She is now healthy but still has effects from MBD. If you are thinking of breeding I would recommend waiting until she is at least 2 years old.
Hope this helps a bit.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A young dragon can and do lay eggs even if they are not in with a male

Latest posts