• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

building a new viv.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
grimm said:
u just have to match the wattage of the bulb to the flood lights correct? also right now im using a 150 watt bulb to make my basking temp 105-110 right now in my current viv, but i dont think ill need that much in the custom one im going to build, what wattage are u using?

Depends on the need. In the fixtures where light is the only desired affect, I use standard household fluorescent coiled bulbs. These are usually on the cool end to keep temps down. In the basking light fixture, I usually use 100W floodlights. I can easily get the desired basking temps with my ceiling height at 2 feet and my basking surfaces about 8 inches off the floor. I also have dimmers built into my fixtures so I can dial in the temps. I just can't use them when I have the fluorescent coils installed as they could cause the bulb to burn up....and possibly worse, a fire.

I believe the fixtures are rated for 150W bulbs, but I've never used bulbs with wattage that high. Like Janie said, it really depends on your ambient temps and the setup.

Latest posts