• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

building a new viv.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I went to a local gift shop yesterday and he ad these display cases for sale for $100.(can't really beat it. They are glass on 3 sides and open in the back) They are 56 inches long 15 inches wide and I'm not sure how tall but about 48 inches maybe. We will be combining them together and putting on sliding glass doors. I want to make them into a double viv for the dragons. My question is, how would I put in the basking light for the bottom viv? Does the light have to be in a dome? Or is there some sort of other fixture I can use that plugs in and doesn't need to be wired.(I'm not an electrian nor is my hubby) Also what would be a good wood to use to make the divider/floor in between the vivs?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's been done before, not sure how... Perhaps a picture of those would help ?

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
haven't gotten them yet not until next friday. broke atm but he's going to hold on to them for me. will post pics as soon as I have some.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Cage-7.jpg

they sell this at homedepot/lows and u can get them as ceramic so u can use basking/heat bulbs, very easy to install. guess u just have to put some plywood up on the top of the bottom one, maybe take the glass off the top and replace it with the wood, wont even be able to tell if they are stacked.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This worries me that they may get burnt. Do they sell a wire mesh cover or something like that to cover the bulb? Hopefully I can get this project rolling over the weekend. I'm also going to need to put sliding doors on it. I want to use glass for the doors what would I need to make this work?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Corrine!

Yeah, they make wire mesh guards to put over bulbs. I don't have a link to one right now, but I know they're out there.

I used some plastic track I bought online for my sliding glass doors....and it's been working great for about three years, now. Here's the link for where I got it. Cheap, too!

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hey Craiger, im actually going to need one of those door tracks for my tank, do they sell them at home depot/lowes? they guy on that other site said he bought his at home depot but i cant find it listed on their online site at all.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
grimm said:
hey Craiger, im actually going to need one of those door tracks for my tank, do they sell them at home depot/lowes? they guy on that other site said he bought his at home depot but i cant find it listed on their online site at all.

Honestly, I don't know. It would be cool if they did (I shop those places a LOT). I think I looked when I was building mine, but couldn't find it, either. So I ended up ordering it online. Maybe I was just looking in all the wrong places. Might be worth your time to take a print out of the product to either place and ask somebody that works there if they sell it. And if so, report back and let us know.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks Craig. I'm sure I'm going to asking for your help alot once I get this rolling.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
corrine said:
Thanks Craig. I'm sure I'm going to asking for your help alot once I get this rolling.

No problem! Ask away.... :)

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
craiger, if you could could to tell me the total thickness both of the tracks added so that i can figure out exactly how tall to make my viv so that the plexiglass will fit in right.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would suggest using real glass. I used plexi for Princess' first viv and it scratched very easily.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
glass is heavy though :(. plus most scratches on plexi can be buffed out fairly easy, at least in my experience, but idk how bad a dragon will scratch it up.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Princess went through a cage dancing spurt. She dug it up pretty good. It worked well for us for a while until she started digging at it. I wouldn't use it again.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'd personally use glass, too. I used 1/8" thick tempered glass that I had cut at a local glass factory.

No need for me to measure. Here's the link for the plastic track product specs. They tell you how to plan dimensionally for the track, the track's size, as well as how tall you should make the sliding door so you can insert the door into the track properly.

You want product spec P2413 if you're going with 1/8" doors.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ya i ordered them to the store, also, are those just regular flood lights, like just at the correct wattage of bulbs put in them?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
grimm said:
ya i ordered them to the store, also, are those just regular flood lights, like just at the correct wattage of bulbs put in them?

Oh...yeah, the flood lights. Sorry about that. They're standard outdoor flood lights I bought at Lowes. If I remember correctly, they were about $8 a piece.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
u just have to match the wattage of the bulb to the flood lights correct? also right now im using a 150 watt bulb to make my basking temp 105-110 right now in my current viv, but i dont think ill need that much in the custom one im going to build, what wattage are u using?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It all depends on the ambient temperature of your home, honestly. You just have to play with watts until you get the correct temps.
hope this helps.

Latest posts