• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Well Banyon has been sleeping since Sept. 20th he has opened his eyes briefly, and stretched his legs a few times. Kinda getting worried. ..he's been sleeping so long. I've read that its unusual for a dragon to go into brumation if they're under a year old? Also...issue of hydration? He still looks the same physically...no noticeable weight loss or change in skin tone.

davedragon10

Hatchling Dragon
It is unusual but it does happen. Whats the lighting cycle like. Do u keep the lamp on for 12hrs aday? If not that probably he went into brumation.

Keep water and food avalible.

If you r worried take him to the vet.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Still turning light on and off each day..not the uv because it won't do him any good anyway, he's snuggled in a bathtowel on the cool side of his tank. Before he went to sleep both lights were on approximately 12 hrs a day yes. I've been told not to put a water dish inside so I took it out long ago.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
For hydration he got a 20 min or so soaking twice a week (which he loved!), and his veggies were rinsed before giving to him so he'd get the most moisture out of them.

davedragon10

Hatchling Dragon
No water dish is fine. Just not a deep dish. You just dont want it to be possible to drown in. And turn on the uvb too. Brumation is started when the dragon thinks the winter season started. In winter day light is shorter and less uvb.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
OK I'll start turning that one on each day too. He is literally buried inside the towel so I don't see how he'll be able to tell...but I'll do it anyway it makes sense what you're saying. Thanks.. I feel a bit better now him being asleep so long now :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If your BD is in Brumation, it does not need heat (Unless your ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60s F) or UVB, so all lighting can be shut down until it wakes on its own. I have had BDs brumate for 5+ months, they will come out of it when they are ready.

davedragon10

Hatchling Dragon
If your BD is in Brumation, it does not need heat (Unless your ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60s F) or UVB, so all lighting can be shut down until it wakes on its own. I have had BDs brumate for 5+ months, they will come out of it when they are ready.
What 5 months!! I thought using the uvb bulb will cut their brumation short. I read that it can even deley it for a while.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Oh my 5 months! I'm going to miss him so much if he takes that long. I hate it when I get conflicting info but I'm thinking I should prolly go with Germ on this one (one of this site's administrators/ moderators?) I'll turn both lights off..maybe just use the red "nightlight" to make sure the temp doesn't drop under 60. Thanks :)

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Brumation is natural...I don't think i like the idea of delaying or cutting short something that is natural for him.

davedragon10

Hatchling Dragon
Oh my 5 months! I'm going to miss him so much if he takes that long. I hate it when I get conflicting info but I'm thinking I should prolly go with Germ on this one (one of this site's administrators/ moderators?) I'll turn both lights off..maybe just use the red "nightlight" to make sure the temp doesn't drop under 60. Thanks :)
Yeh he prob has way more experience then me with it.

@Germ I have read that in a few places. I read somewhere about breeders inducing brumation for reproduction

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Well I don't know but I may have made a mistake. Banyon opened his eyes and lifted his head today when I talked to him so I took opportunity to give him a quick warm bath to hydrate. Now he's up and basking. He ate 5 worms but had little interest in chasing down a cricket. His back legs are shaky (from being immobile so long? IDK). What do I do with lights if I don't know if he's up for good or not? I left a big bowl of veggies fo him in case he's interested.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Hes sleeping again...humph. he had more interest in running around on the couch than in eating! He still wont eat much veggies and if he doesnt go after protein, it means he's eating close to nothing. Working on increasing his temps for the next time he wakes up maybe stimulate appetite

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
His crickets always have food..moisture..I even put veggies and oatmeal in there for them. I figure the healthier his food is, the healthier he'll be. Thanks for advice and help:)

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
So I turned on his lights and he opened his eyes and lifted his head. Took him out and got a few pics of his sides. I will say that from about midway down his sides to the base of his tail, feels the same to the touch...kinda hard and lumpy like you're running your fingers down a ribcage on an animal. His back legs are working fine. There is no lump on his back near his spine. I am getting his temps, both hot side and cool, up. I will begin warm soaks and massage gently to see if he will pass anything. I have a hard time getting his mouth open on my own but if my husband will help, I will have two hands free and he can use a dropper to give a couple drops of oil as I read to do in the article. ANY INPUT OR SUGGETIONS PLEASE? Based on my reading I may heave mistaken impaction for brumation?

Attachments

• 2013-12-08 13.26.31.jpg
    2013-12-08 13.26.31.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 2013-12-08 13.26.53.jpg
    2013-12-08 13.26.53.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 2013-12-08 13.27.08.jpg
    2013-12-08 13.27.08.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Germ.. I read through it and saved the link. His vet is gonna call me back tomorrow. I'd just rather be safe than sorry, want to get him in and have her look him over. I'm tired of not being absolutely sure what he needs. Brumation? Impaction? IDK but I'm gonna find out! Thanks again.

Latest posts