• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation?

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
All this would be the cause of his behavior now - a 6 month old should be out active and basking eating and pooping
I'll check the bulb when I get home, but the bulb pictured has since been replaced.

What about nightime temp. I'm wondering if that could be a problem. All lights are off at night

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
I'll check the bulb when I get home, but the bulb pictured has since been replaced.

What about nightime temp. I'm wondering if that could be a problem. All lights are off at night
I don't know what the temp is dropping to at night because I'm sleeping but honestly it shouldn't be too much different than in summer and fall. The house is kept pretty close to the same temp all year long. Still I would think when the lights turn on he would come back out and bask. Even when we put him in the basking area he seems to prefer going back in his cold dark cave. Idk.

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
He needs a varied diet --- get some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com you will need a ceramic or glass dish so they cant get out https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
add those on top of his salads he needs to be eating these NOW - do not dust these they make great salad toppers for babies they are also another staple feeder order large add those BSFL in front of him so he sees you doing this the movement will get his attention
here is website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
those crickets may be hiding in the tank --- do not leave them in over nite they will come out and bite the dragon and can cause infection -- I would also look at getting him some dubia roaches --- I can post more websites for insects and worms for you
I've basically tried this exact thing except with wax worms (his favorite) and he pics them out and won't tough the salad. Honestly I thought I've read that they typically don't start eating fruits and veggies until they are closer to 1 year. He has no interest in them. We even tried to feed him that stuff earlier when he was super angry because we were having trouble getting crickets/worms etc but he wouldn't touch it.

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
I'm currently working through this article here which on the surface seems to say that Brumation at this age is rare, but not impossible. I really feel like he checks off all the boxes that fit Brumation. He was fine up until recently, nothing has changed. The UVB bulb may be losing its strength due to age and I'm going to replace and test UVB levels, but other than that, Brumation is all I can think of. I doubt the bulb went from being fine to bad in a matter of a few days Honestly he seems ok. Just not active and bouncy. He doesn't really seem sickly, or starving. His diet and lighting and enclosure all seemed fine for the first 6mo.

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
I'm currently working through this article here which on the surface seems to say that Brumation at this age is rare, but not impossible. I really feel like he checks off all the boxes that fit Brumation. He was fine up until recently, nothing has changed. The UVB bulb may be losing its strength due to age and I'm going to replace and test UVB levels, but other than that, Brumation is all I can think of. I doubt the bulb went from being fine to bad in a matter of a few days Honestly he seems ok. Just not active and bouncy. He doesn't really seem sickly, or starving. His diet and lighting and enclosure all seemed fine for the first 6mo.
Forgot to add the article...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Forgot to add the article...
Unless he is really big for his age he should not be brumating- UVB and basking temps are the two most important things in the tank--- I cannot stress this enough--- he should be eating salads now believe me his behavior won't change - if he's not eating them now I doubt you will be able to get him to eat them when he turns a year old - past experience and I read this all the time from other dragon owners

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
Unless he is really big for his age he should not be brumating- UVB and basking temps are the two most important things in the tank--- I cannot stress this enough--- he should be eating salads now believe me his behavior won't change - if he's not eating them now I doubt you will be able to get him to eat them when he turns a year old - past experience and I read this all the time from other dragon owners
Ok, well I will have the new UVB bulb in by the end of the day. We will see what that does. I can verify the temps are good, but I can't verify the UVB Level just yet. As far as getting him to eat salads, I don't know how to force him into it. We keep trying. The only thing he seems to slightly go back to are strawberries. Other than that he just won't touch it or eat it once and never again.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, well I will have the new UVB bulb in by the end of the day. We will see what that does. I can verify the temps are good, but I can't verify the UVB Level just yet. As far as getting him to eat salads, I don't know how to force him into it. We keep trying. The only thing he seems to slightly go back to are strawberries. Other than that he just won't touch it or eat it once and never again.
Try some silk worms on the salads- they stick to everything-
www.reptilianarts.com
Right now your dragon to me is exhibiting being sick

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
Thats honestly what I think it is. If he was sick I would understand the lack of energy and eating but the fact that he insists on going into his cave (the best thing he can do to burrow right now) even after we move him and refusing to bask, and lack of a bowel movement, yet his belly feels extremely full. His temperament, color, and all out physical looks all seem fine. If it was just a lack of UVB, I would think he would still be out trying to get some, but he insists on staying in the shade. Either way I'm replacing the UVB bulb and when I get a tester I'm going to compare old to new. Before this, he would very rarely go in his cave, and even if he did. He wouldn't stay long and come right back out and go to basking. Now it seems like he is in there for days. Also, not that it makes a huge difference in sure but we have had him for a little over 6 months so I would guess he is closer to 7 or maybe 8 months. I don't know how old he was when we got him but he was easily the biggest one in the bunch. Also had slightly different colors so he may have been the last of the previous group and the pet store added a bunch of new ones.
6 month olds can brumate its just pretty rare. Thats what i read on a few websites.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210115-143816.png
    Screenshot_20210115-143816.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20210115-143853.png
    Screenshot_20210115-143853.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 25

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thats honestly what I think it is. If he was sick I would understand the lack of energy and eating but the fact that he insists on going into his cave (the best thing he can do to burrow right now) even after we move him and refusing to bask, and lack of a bowel movement, yet his belly feels extremely full. His temperament, color, and all out physical looks all seem fine. If it was just a lack of UVB, I would think he would still be out trying to get some, but he insists on staying in the shade. Either way I'm replacing the UVB bulb and when I get a tester I'm going to compare old to new. Before this, he would very rarely go in his cave, and even if he did. He wouldn't stay long and come right back out and go to basking. Now it seems like he is in there for days. Also, not that it makes a huge difference in sure but we have had him for a little over 6 months so I would guess he is closer to 7 or maybe 8 months. I don't know how old he was when we got him but he was easily the biggest one in the bunch. Also had slightly different colors so he may have been the last of the previous group and the pet store added a bunch of new ones.
He could be older usually they are around 3 months but I have seen them way younger like weeks old- please change the UVB out first if no change please post a pic if him so I can see him to see if we can get a closer age- the behavior he's exhibiting sometimes is taken for brumation- but are actually sick-- so is he eating?

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
He could be older usually they are around 3 months but I have seen them way younger like weeks old- please change the UVB out first if no change please post a pic if him so I can see him to see if we can get a closer age- the behavior he's exhibiting sometimes is taken for brumation- but are actually sick-- so is he eating?

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
The bulb will definitely be changed. If my wife didn't do it already I will do it when I get home. I'll send a picture of him too. I have not seen him eat anything in maybe a couple of weeks. I think I tried to hand feed him a cricket and I can't remember if he ate it or not. I usually leave the crickets in there. I know they say not too but I also keep an eye on the crickets and I have also been told that it's not a big deal to leave the crickets in there as long as it doesn't get over run by them. His enclosure is pretty basic so it's not like they have a ton of places to hide and I've noticed most of their hiding spots. The crickets we put in, mostly vanish so they are either escaping or he's eating them, but there isn't much room for them to escape out of. Maybe the smaller ones. It .makes me think he may be eating a bit at some point when I don't see him.

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
The bulb will definitely be changed. If my wife didn't do it already I will do it when I get home. I'll send a picture of him too. I have not seen him eat anything in maybe a couple of weeks. I think I tried to hand feed him a cricket and I can't remember if he ate it or not. I usually leave the crickets in there. I know they say not too but I also keep an eye on the crickets and I have also been told that it's not a big deal to leave the crickets in there as long as it doesn't get over run by them. His enclosure is pretty basic so it's not like they have a ton of places to hide and I've noticed most of their hiding spots. The crickets we put in, mostly vanish so they are either escaping or he's eating them, but there isn't much room for them to escape out of. Maybe the smaller ones. It makes me think he may be eating a bit

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
The bulb will definitely be changed. If my wife didn't do it already I will do it when I get home. I'll send a picture of him too. I have not seen him eat anything in maybe a couple of weeks. I think I tried to hand feed him a cricket and I can't remember if he ate it or not. I usually leave the crickets in there. I know they say not too but I also keep an eye on the crickets and I have also been told that it's not a big deal to leave the crickets in there as long as it doesn't get over run by them. His enclosure is pretty basic so it's not like they have a ton of places to hide and I've noticed most of their hiding spots. The crickets we put in, mostly vanish so they are either escaping or he's eating them, but there isn't much room for them to escape out of. Maybe the smaller ones. It makes me think he may be eating a bit
If the UVB is changed out and was the problem, how long do you think it would take to see a difference? A day or 2, or more like a week?
BTW thank you for all the help and the tips!

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
Alright, new bulb is in. I took him out of his cave, which he was sitting in awake. He is 14"-15" tip to tail. Got some pics which I am attaching. Also I hand fed him 1 cricket. He seemed a bit reluctant to take it but he did. He has eaten out of my hand several times before.

Attachments

• IMG_20210115_165216724.jpg
    IMG_20210115_165216724.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210115_165238922.jpg
    IMG_20210115_165238922.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210115_165258559.jpg
    IMG_20210115_165258559.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 23

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
Alright, new bulb is in. I took him out of his cave, which he was sitting in awake. He is 14"-15" tip to tail. Got some pics which I am attaching. Also I hand fed him 1 cricket. He seemed a bit reluctant to take it but he did. He has eaten out of my hand several times before.
Also put him back in the basking area. Let's see what he does.

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
Also put him back in the basking area. Let's see what he does.
He's been there for 45 min. He looked a little mischievous, all looking around so I fed him some more crickets out of his bowl and he went after them and ate them.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If the UVB is changed out and was the problem, how long do you think it would take to see a difference? A day or 2, or more like a week?
BTW thank you for all the help and the tips!
You will notice a difference right away --- if it was the bulb he should start eating again and basking -- if its not the bulb causing the issue then we need to find out other causes --- he looks a year maybe -- I am thinking more around 10 months or so -- it is hard to tell --- make sure hes hydrated -- that will cause them NOT to eat --