• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation?

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
Hello All,
I'm a bit new to all this. My first beardie and he's about 6 months so this is my first winter with him. Since the colder weather has set in I have noticed a slow change which I'm assuming is Brumation. He has been hanging out in his little cave area, the coldest and darkest spot in his habitat and seems to remain there for days. He doesn't seem to have much desire to eat either and his pooping has slowed to a minimum Handling him, he feels like his belly is full, but he does feels bit chilly to the touch. He also seems to be way more relaxed in handling than he was earlier (always trying to run around and explore) His UVA area is at about 105 and UVB around 80. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance, because it creeps me out. I'll reach in and pull him out after a day or 2 and he seems fine. I have even put him back in his basking area but after an hour or so, he is right back in his cave. Should I just leave him be? Is there any harm in disrupting him during this time?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello All,
I'm a bit new to all this. My first beardie and he's about 6 months so this is my first winter with him. Since the colder weather has set in I have noticed a slow change which I'm assuming is Brumation. He has been hanging out in his little cave area, the coldest and darkest spot in his habitat and seems to remain there for days. He doesn't seem to have much desire to eat either and his pooping has slowed to a minimum Handling him, he feels like his belly is full, but he does feels bit chilly to the touch. He also seems to be way more relaxed in handling than he was earlier (always trying to run around and explore) His UVA area is at about 105 and UVB around 80. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance, because it creeps me out. I'll reach in and pull him out after a day or 2 and he seems fine. I have even put him back in his basking area but after an hour or so, he is right back in his cave. Should I just leave him be? Is there any harm in disrupting him during this time?
6 months old he should not be in brumation -- please go over the lighting in the tank--- UVB brand and bulb NO COILS they are inadequate basking temps they should be 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stickons they are inaccurate--

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
6 months old he should not be in brumation -- please go over the lighting in the tank--- UVB brand and bulb NO COILS they are inadequate basking temps they should be 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stickons they are inaccurate--
The UVB is a Zoo Med OS36 T8 ReptiSun UVB 10.0 HO Light
The UVA is a reptile light, can't remember the info. The basking area is around 105 degrees taken from a digital thermometer installed in the tank. The cool area is around 80 also taken from a digital thermometer in the tank. No stick on thermometers. I agree, they are inaccurate. I don't think it is the bulbs. The UVA is fairly new. The UVB may be a little bit old (6 months) but it can't be that bad.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UVB is a Zoo Med OS36 T8 ReptiSun UVB 10.0 HO Light
The UVA is a reptile light, can't remember the info. The basking area is around 105 degrees taken from a digital thermometer installed in the tank. The cool area is around 80 also taken from a digital thermometer in the tank. No stick on thermometers. I agree, they are inaccurate. I don't think it is the bulbs. The UVA is fairly new. The UVB may be a little bit old (6 months) but it can't be that bad.
T 8's need to be replaced every 6 months I recommend a month prior to----------- they need to be INSIDE the tank they are not strong enough to go thru the screen the screen will block 30% of those UVB rays --- NO clear plastic cover over the bulb if its on take it off --- basking decor piece needs to be directly underneath the UVB 6-8 inches --- if all this is correct there is something else going on w/ the dragon --- if you need ideas on ways to hang in the tank let me know I will post some for you

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
T 8's need to be replaced every 6 months I recommend a month prior to----------- they need to be INSIDE the tank they are not strong enough to go thru the screen the screen will block 30% of those UVB rays --- NO clear plastic cover over the bulb if its on take it off --- basking decor piece needs to be directly underneath the UVB 6-8 inches --- if all this is correct there is something else going on w/ the dragon --- if you need ideas on ways to hang in the tank let me know I will post some for you
Hmm... The bulbs are directly installed in the tank with absolutely no covers. The only thing I can think of is that it needs to be replaced. I'll try that. I know it's suggested to changes those bulbs every 6 mo. But I doubt it's bad. I know that's a recommendation to replace. I'm going to test the UV in the tank too. All the basking decor is in the basking area under the UVA, Not the UVB. Even if the UVB is diminishing, why would he resort to crawling in a cave where there is no light. I would assume with less UVB he would be sluggish and low energy, but why resort to hanging out in a cool shady area.

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
Here is the set up he lives in. Just no decor installed which is all on the left top under the UVA basking lamp

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The picture isn't loading. I will try later today
Please replace the UVB and watch his behavior if hes still doing it there is something else going on but we need to start there----------- is he eating?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The picture isn't loading. I will try later today
I would definitely get him a new bulb asap, ive had bulbs go out just after 3 months , baby to juvenile bearded dragons should be very active and bouncing around, what kind of diet are you feeding the beardy? If he’s eating pellets thats also cause for concern, bugs gutloaded with vegetables from the kitchen are your best diet right now, along with salad of leafy greens (no iceberg lettuce)

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
Not really. He's not eating when we feed him but he might be grabbing the crickets later when I don't see because the seem to be disappearing. It makes me think he's eating a little bit. I'll replace the UVB and see what happens.

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
I would definitely get him a new bulb asap, ive had bulbs go out just after 3 months , baby to juvenile bearded dragons should be very active and bouncing around, what kind of diet are you feeding the beardy? If he’s eating pellets thats also cause for concern, bugs gutloaded with vegetables from the kitchen are your best diet right now, along with salad of leafy greens (no iceberg lettuce)

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
He pretty much eats 100% crickets, and some occasionally wax worms. Most fruits and veggies he has never seemed interested in. Strawberries seem to be his favorite so far, but won't touch leafy greens. He will sometimes eat ice burgh, but I know not to give him that as a dietary source. We have only done it to try as like a treat. He has never shown any interest in any packaged beardie food either like dried or pellets, so we pretty much stick to crickets

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
Here is his enclosure. He has been in the cave area under his basking area on the left.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210115-102951.png
    Screenshot_20210115-102951.png
    730.3 KB · Views: 57

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He pretty much eats 100% crickets, and some occasionally wax worms. Most fruits and veggies he has never seemed interested in. Strawberries seem to be his favorite so far, but won't touch leafy greens. He will sometimes eat ice burgh, but I know not to give him that as a dietary source. We have only done it to try as like a treat. He has never shown any interest in any packaged beardie food either like dried or pellets, so we pretty much stick to crickets
He needs a varied diet --- get some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com you will need a ceramic or glass dish so they cant get out https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
add those on top of his salads he needs to be eating these NOW - do not dust these they make great salad toppers for babies they are also another staple feeder order large add those BSFL in front of him so he sees you doing this the movement will get his attention
here is website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
those crickets may be hiding in the tank --- do not leave them in over nite they will come out and bite the dragon and can cause infection -- I would also look at getting him some dubia roaches --- I can post more websites for insects and worms for you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is his enclosure. He has been in the cave area under his basking area on the left.
Is there a reflector on the fixture --- the distance and placement need to be 1 directly over head approx 6-8 inches -- and w/ a reflector -- at this point from what I am seeing hes not getting much UVB if any at all --

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Although you’re settup looks sterile you might want to add a couple of bricks and stones so he can rub against, and it wouldn’t hurt to put a blanket or hand towel in his hide so he doesn’t have to be on the cold tile and it will encourage burrowing behavior aswell as enrichment.

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, both lights have reflectors. So your saying that the UVB on the right needs to drop down from the ceiling and be about 8" off the ground. All other tanks I ever saw when I researched for beardies had a very similar set up. UVB tube at top of the tank 2/3rd length of the tank and then a UVA closer to dragon, pending temperature. You don't want to to hot. If I lowered the UVB that low he wouldn't get any because up untill now he spent 99% of his time on the basking area and the UVB bulb would be below him. We have had him in this setup since July and he just started acting this way around Christmas.
Is there a reflector on the fixture --- the distance and placement need to be 1 directly over head approx 6-8 inches -- and w/ a reflector -- at this point from what I am seeing hes not getting much UVB if any at all

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, both lights have reflectors. So your saying that the UVB on the right needs to drop down from the ceiling and be about 8" off the ground. All other tanks I ever saw when I researched for beardies had a very similar set up. UVB tube at top of the tank 2/3rd length of the tank and then a UVA closer to dragon, pending temperature. You don't want to to hot. If I lowered the UVB that low he wouldn't get any because up untill now he spent 99% of his time on the basking area and the UVB bulb would be below him. We have had him in this setup since July and he just started acting this way around Christmas.
Also the basking bulb needs to be a bright white basking bulb the one your using looks yellowish

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also the basking bulb needs to be a bright white basking bulb the one your using looks yellowish
All this would be the cause of his behavior now - a 6 month old should be out active and basking eating and pooping

JSpanky

Hatchling Dragon
Although you’re settup looks sterile you might want to add a couple of bricks and stones so he can rub against, and it wouldn’t hurt to put a blanket or hand towel in his hide so he doesn’t have to be on the cold tile and it will encourage burrowing behavior aswell as enrichment.
Ok, he does have a stone on his basking area. When he was using his basking area he loved to curl up and sleep under and along side the stone and his log. I had a felt mat in there but he never used it. I'll try a folded hand towel and see what he does. Isn't the burrowing behavior part of Burmation?