• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bringing Him Out of the House

RaidenMarshall

Hatchling Dragon
As I've stated, where I live gets pretty hot. Back in my old town, I would see people letting their bearded dragons ride on their shoulders and cling onto their shirts while they walked around town and the pet store. I was wondering if it was okay to do that. I've been letting him enjoy shoulder rides around the house, but I want to bring him outside, especially when I go to the herp shop. Its getting to be 96 F and over consistently, and going to start getting into the hundreds everyday soon. So, I think it would be nice for him to chill with me. The bigger question is, if it is okay to take him out, could I use that time he spent outside as time that would have been spent under his basking light and UVB?

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would seriously recommend using a harness. Although it may be cute to take your pet to a pet store there are lots of microbes- think infection -to which he could be exposed.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
I wudnt advise taking him the store for obvious reasons like infection. But if u get a harness its fine for u ro take it beardie outside. As long as its warm enough qich u have just told us it is and another thing. Dnt wot eva u do let ur beardie eat bugs feom outside as u dnt no what they have crawled in. The sun has its own uvb so no ur not risking ur beardie that way. :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I take Dexter to the pet store but usually keep her under my sweater so she doesn't get too stressed out over the new surrounding and all the people.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Bring a mist bottle in Az, generally your chest is better though when around here. I had someone try and steal Rad when her was on my shoulder.

SageAlbright

Bearded Dragon Egg
I tried taking mine out. As soon as we got out the front door she puffed up and tried to bite me. She hates it outside.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
I tried taking mine out. As soon as we got out the front door she puffed up and tried to bite me. She hates it outside.
Have u ttied ahoqing her out the window first? Boris dnt like goin outside he dnt puff but he goes really black bearded. But Diego loves it. Same with the window sill tho Diego will happily sit n watch out the window. Boris hates it. Thay all different thats wot makes them so gud :)

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Maybe it dnt.matta tho how old is.she? Maybe wen shebgets a bit older u can try again :)

RaidenMarshall

Hatchling Dragon
I tried taking him out to water the plants with me. Put him in a big ol shoebox (about as long as his cage and maybe 6 or 7 inches tall) and put him half in the sun and half in the shade and walked away to water my Plumerias. Lesson learned, he hated it! I came back three minutes later and he was puffed up and running around the box like a maniac trying to bite me. Perhaps its the shoebox that tripped him out? Not sure, but he likes riding around on us in the house, think I'll just keep him inside for now.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Both of mine love to be outside. I bought a baby playpen from target two years ago ($50) put some repti carpet on the floor and some mesh screen on the top - and some small clamps from the hardware store to hold the top down because my male will climb out and escape. Depending on the weather they will stay out for half an hour to an hour. They both soak up the sunshine.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401139319.673442.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401139319.673442.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 52

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Luci likes to look out the windows and the screen door. I think he might like it outside but he runs so fast that I'm afraid to bring him outside yet. Dexter likes it though. I brought her out this morning and she sat on the bistro table while I had my coffee and read a book!

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Ive not put mine dwnbuey just took them out n.kept hold of them im afraid of them running off or gettin hurt :)

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's kind of funny. Toviah – my mail – runs around like a mad man inside the house. But slows down outside. Like he knows his way around inside but outside he not so sure about. Bella – on the other hand – has to exert every ounce of energy she has to move one leg inside. But get her outside ? she can run races! I'm working on building an outdoor run for them. I can't put them out together because all Toviah wants to do is mate and Bella is more than willing to let him. I don't want babies. The run is a work in progress – I've almost got the ground cleaned. Going to put down a layer of organic pesticide free topsoil edge all the way around with bricks then add some kind of netting all the way around and on the top. That's the plan it may change. If anyone has an outdoor pen I would love to see pictures!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's kind of funny. Toviah – my mail – runs around like a mad man inside the house. But slows down outside. Like he knows his way around inside but outside he not so sure about. Bella – on the other hand – has to exert every ounce of energy she has to move one leg inside. But get her outside ? she can run races! I'm working on building an outdoor run for them. I can't put them out together because all Toviah wants to do is mate and Bella is more than willing to let him. I don't want babies. The run is a work in progress – I've almost got the ground cleaned. Going to put down a layer of organic pesticide free topsoil edge all the way around with bricks then add some kind of netting all the way around and on the top. That's the plan it may change. If anyone has an outdoor pen I would love to see pictures!

Dr. Foster's Smith has these out door cat pens that are mesh, something like that might work.

Greencrack

Bearded Dragon Egg
i take diesel outside sometimes to let him play in the grass then give him a bath just in case mites or something gets on him. hes never gave me a problem but make sure you dont leave him outside alone a bird may see him as food..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
i take diesel outside sometimes to let him play in the grass then give him a bath just in case mites or something gets on him. hes never gave me a problem but make sure you dont leave him outside alone a bird may see him as food..

Dexter always turns her head and looks up when the birds are singing a little too close!

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
My beardies like to bask outside, however my male cannot sit freely on my shoulder outside he gets super skiddish from all the different noises and birds and other wild life. So I get a clear plastic storage container put a few patio stones inside and he basks that way. (lid off)

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I wouldnt recommend taking your dragon to the pet store especially. Pet stores often have reptiles with mites, and your dragon is a big ole target sitting on your shoulder as a result. I would also be careful of taking them for errands or around where other people are present, especially kids. Dragons often carry salmonella, and there have been numerous cases of salmonella poisoning from dragons lately. In April, about 130 people got very sick from a particular type of salmonella being carried by dragons. Its a good idea to make sure you wash your hands after handling them too.

Latest posts