• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black tale tip while shedding

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
These are the type of UVB bulb you need to look for ...

TUBES

linear_bulbs_100.jpg
os-18.jpg

COMPACTS
pPETS-5957561t300x300.jpg
41zvtXVLmDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The 50W that you have now is definitely not a UVB emitting Bulb.

Your heat bulbs, should be above the tank, where you BD can not possibly have access to it, most have them in dome fixtures on top of a screen for obvious reasons. It is much easier to get accurate temps with a Digital thermometer with a probe in the right spots & is highly recommended. If you choose to use a tube UVB (My preference), it may be more cost effective to purchase an 18"-24" under the cabinet fixture from your local hardware store, remove the plastic cover, discard it & replace the bulb with the specialty UVB Bulb. Do not let anyone talk you into using an MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) in a 20 gal.

Good Luck

Pat B

Super Moderator
These are the type of UVB bulb you need to look for ...

TUBES

linear_bulbs_100.jpg
os-18.jpg

COMPACTS
pPETS-5957561t300x300.jpg
41zvtXVLmDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The 50W that you have now is definitely not a UVB emitting Bulb.

Your heat bulbs, should be above the tank, where you BD can not possibly have access to it, most have them in dome fixtures on top of a screen for obvious reasons. It is much easier to get accurate temps with a Digital thermometer with a probe in the right spots & is highly recommended. If you choose to use a tube UVB (My preference), it may be more cost effective to purchase an 18"-24" under the cabinet fixture from your local hardware store, remove the plastic cover, discard it & replace the bulb with the specialty UVB Bulb. Do not let anyone talk you into using an MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) in a 20 gal.

Good Luck
Well.....we just came back from PetSmart and spent $200 on a spanking brand new reptile habitat!! 40 gal, correct bulbs, and all the other stuff plus a bunch of rebates!! I like the idea of a long UVB and may go that way. I read somewhere on here that the long tube fixtures can be hot glued to the tank but I will look into that later. I fed the little guy when I got home and he pigged out like no tomorrow. I am hoping the tail will fix itself after he sheds entirely. You have been a tremendous help and I appreciate all the help....Now....off to setting up Spike's new home. I will move him after he has been done shedding as he is a bit cranky! Pat

Pat B

Super Moderator
Soon....question. The top of the tank is a screen pullout and I have 3 bulbs., UVB, black, and blue. They are supposed to fit on top of the screen....looks stupid because the bulb is longer than the black metal holder. I read on here somewhere, maybe from you but can't remember, that a screen isn't really good because enough heat won't get through. ???? Thanks

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The black light is useless (maybe to help supplement daytime heat if needed), the blue light is likely supposed to enhance the colors, white light is much better. Heat bulbs above the screen is generally not a problem, if the temps don't get high enough, just use a different type or higher wattage Bulb. It is the UVB that the screen will block to some degree. The finer the screen the more UVB it will block, so the closer the BD will have to be able to get to it at the basking spot & the more often the UVB bulb will have to be replaced.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Hi Germ, My BD has finally shed all the way and I THINK his black looking tail might be all right. It doesn't look dead like it did earlier so I am hoping hard that he will be ok. Also, his tail is short. I was looking at BD's at PS and their tails were longer than their little bodies. Have not a clue why my little beardie has a short tail. We also moved him into his new home. I think he is going to love it. I posted a picture in habitats. I am not finished but getting their....Pat

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Germ, My BD has finally shed all the way and I THINK his black looking tail might be all right. It doesn't look dead like it did earlier so I am hoping hard that he will be ok. Also, his tail is short. I was looking at BD's at PS and their tails were longer than their little bodies. Have not a clue why my little beardie has a short tail. We also moved him into his new home. I think he is going to love it. I posted a picture in habitats. I am not finished but getting their....Pat
Pat, my bet is that his tail was nipped by a cage mate when he was a hatchling after looking through your posts. It does look healed, and like it's been that way for a while, I didn't mean to alarm you, I was just trying to say that there was a slight chance for tail rot and that can cause a discoloration or a darker appearance. I hope the lil guy remains well! Good luck :)

Pat B

Super Moderator
Thanks Aleena....his little tail was probably nipped when he was tiny....makes sense bec it is short compared to others that I have seen. But hopefully, he will heal and behave himself so....lol!!

Latest posts