• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black tale tip while shedding

Pat B

Super Moderator
My little Spike is shedding for the second time. This time the tip of his tail is black or very dark. Is this normal. I am a little worried about him. He usually eats a lot but not this morning and I didn't push it because of the shedding. He did drink quite a bit of water. Help??

Pat B

Super Moderator
Pics would help ...
ok...thanks....will do tomorrow as it is night time here. Have a question about lights....i have a uvb light in his viv but nothing else. I have seen the long ones....are those just for regular light? and the uvb is for basking? gets confusing....:)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You must have a UVB bulb of proper strength & distance to provided useable effective UVB, ALONG with a basking (Heat) bulb to provide proper temps.

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
yah, definately 2nd germ's statement!!!! u most certainly need a uv light along the entire length of the enclosure & a heat lamp at the proper temps 2 ensure 4 proper digestion & health!!!!!

Pat B

Super Moderator
Here are some pics....I hope. Had a heck of time sending them. I hope you can see the tail......thank you.

Attachments

• DSC00530.JPG
    DSC00530.JPG
    838.4 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC00534.JPG
    DSC00534.JPG
    689 KB · Views: 124

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It looks like his tail has been nipped. I can't see the black :( but check to see if there's multiple layers of shed that hasn't shed like it should have. BD's can have difficulty shedding a spot that has had an injury at times, and if that builds up it can cause a disease called tail rot which is completely reversible to a point.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I partially agree, it does look like it has been nipped or caught on something.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Oh dear....I can't think of how he would have gotten it nipped or caught on something. What should I do? Should I try to see if it is a shedding problem and pull a little bit on it? When I touch it, it feels hard like it wants to fall off. I don't think this is a good thing. Thanks for your help.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
After looking more closely at the picture I think I can see the dark spot where it may have been injured. It looks like the remaining tip may become necrotic & eventually turn black & fall off. The very tip looks to be raw. Please whatever you do, do not be pulling on it, or any shed around it. Is there any possibility that it could have gotten close enough to the Bulb or screen to burn it's tail. BDs do not feel heat or any other temp for that matter on most parts of their body. The majority of their temp\light sensing is done through the 3rd Eye (Parielal Eye, aka Pineal Eye) in the middle of the top of their head. Would really like to see pics of it's setup & lighting ... If at all possible ...

Pat B

Super Moderator
I did notice this morning he is shedding big time down his back so now I know why he has been a little cranky. He might have burnt his tail on the bulb....maybe. I will take a picture of his viv and send it to you. Thank you so much for your answers....

Pat B

Super Moderator
Hi Germ....here is a picture of my viv. Spike shed big time today.....all down his back and working on his feet and tail now. His tail does seem to look better but can't quite tell. He ate well this morning. It is hard to get him to eat greens....doesn't like them and keeps his mouth shut....:) Anyway, here is his 'home'.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have uploaded this really neat little resizing program to a storage site, it is a safe, small download in a Zipped file & can be found here PIXresizer. 800x600 is a nice size for the forum.

Failing that, here are the instructions for doing it through PhotoBucket & they will automatically be resized for the forum when the instructions are followed - PhotoBucket

Hope this helps

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's tail appears to be quite short already, has it been that way since you acquired it?

Pat B

Super Moderator
His tale has never been long. I have noticed l-o-n-g tails on grown beardies but mine is still small....maybe a little over 4 months.

Pat B

Super Moderator
I cropped the pic.....here ya go! Not the prettiest or neatest but he is still in a 20 gal tank. I will eventually get a 40 gal.

Attachments

• DSC00536.JPG
    DSC00536.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 65

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Exactly what type of Bulb is that, Brand & wattage, does not look like any UVB bulb that I have ever seen. Looks like it could be a Sun Glo Tight Beam Spot light. From your descriptions the lighting sounded strange. That unprotected Bulb is much, much, much too close, posing an extremely serious, serious burn risk. If it is an MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb), then it is Doubly too close, if it is not, then you are not providing any UVB to your BD at all. If you are taking your readings from where those thermometers are stuck to the glass, you may be coming really close to cooking the little one, because it could very well be 50+ degrees hotter directly below the bulb at the basking spot!!! If you are not removing the thermometer from the glass & placing it directly below the bulb, on the Basking spot for 30-45 minutes & then taking your readings, that is downright scary.

It also appears that the top is solid with no air flow. Are there any holes or screened areas in it to allow the tank to "Breath"?

Pat B

Super Moderator
I think I might be in BIG trouble. My brother set me up with this viv....as in light and tank. The bulb is 50W and is from Zoo Med. I couldns't find where it said UVB. I have UVA 75 watt bulb that he also gave me. My brother has had reptiles for years and I just figured he knew what he was talking doing but after reading articles on this forum I think I might need to make a trip to PS. The top is solid with a big whole in it and it put the top back about 2 inches for air flow. How far away should the bulb be so the beardie won't get burned. I feel like crap now. I hope I haven't hurt him. He is eating well, doesn't like green stuff, and he is shedding big time today. I see your point about temperature and I will start taking better readings. I really like this little critter and I don't want to hurt him in anyway. I appreciate all that you tell and I will follow your advice.....thanks....Pat B/Columbia SC:(

Latest posts