• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black neck (scared momma)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dubia roaches, superworms, BSFL, silkworms, hornworms, crickets, waxworms, butterworms.. granted the last few are treat items.

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
I meant like stores yall approve of. I cant get those things local here. all they have here (country town) is live crickets. even the meal worms are either dried or dead in a container. :( all the roaches arrive to the store dead and they still put them on the shelves YUCK!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Discount dubia, south texas dragons, Linda's gone buggy, Armstrong crickets, rainbow mealworms
off the top of my head.
you can also check ebay, craigslist I've gotten good deals there too.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dubiaroaches.com is my go too. Order quick because they have a yearly cut off because of the holidays.

I really hope your little one eats. I honestly don’t like the idea of feeding ensure which has dairy. Bearded dragons weren’t made to process dairy, think about it, when reptile babies are born they don’t nurse like other animals so they don’t need milk as babies because their bodies can’t digest it. The under the tank heater is a bad idea too.

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
well the first night she slept on the heater side. not again. lol. she likes the colder dark nights. it never stopped below 75 at night so far. and that was with it dropping to 35 last night and I still have our air on. I moved her bathing pool back over the under tank heater. we got it to heat that up and add humidity into the tank.

She is still not eating solids. loves her banana shakes. and now I'm doing half the shale and half green juice (fresh kale, collard, and spinach with coconut water). she perks up at that smell, but not the taste. I keep putting fresh in her room, but she won't eat it. it's almost like she is scared to eat.

I have been watching her every day since this happened, pretty closely. it's looking more like either spinal nerve damage or a series of seizures that almost never stop unless she is sleeping. but if you touch her... it starts back up. that's why I'm thinking nerve damage. :(

She did poop today!!!!! it was pretty solid and normal smell. but she just started to shake and what sounded like bubbles blowing. lol I was feeding her at the time. figured out what was going on. but I had to lift her tail and hold her up as she still can't move that part of her body well at all. she can walk a little in the mornings, it by afternoon and evening, she just drags her back end behind her. she still wants to move around. she played with the kitties tonight. she is a very VERY mellow dragon on a normal basis. I will take her poop to the vet in the morning for a fecal work up. and keep going. she is not giving up and neither are we.

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
fecal test back. Hookworms for the win. good thing we started the right wormer on the 4th. will continue this path with another fecal test 2 weeks after the next dose of wormer in a week.
talked to Dr about the ensure concerns. he said normally, no you would not give them this, but to help her have enough calories to fight this, it was necessary.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For greens I would do collards, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole, endive... Kale you can do as long as it's not the only green being given and is an occasional to be fed item, spinach really shouldn't be fed it is a very rarely to be fed item it is very high in Vit A/oxalates/goitrogens. Be careful on how much banana shakes you do as they are high in sugars.

Did the vet check the calcium levels? Too much or too little can cause tremors
Make sure you add in some probiotics into the slurry as the meds are really harsh on their gut and destroys all their good gut flora and can cause them to not want to eat. So adding the probiotics back in will help their bellies feel better.

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
update: We are a happy dragon with lots of energy and tons of love. No more going black beard, even when she is not happy with whatever might be going on. We took in a foster dragon a few weeks ago and she is obsessed with him. We will not be allowing them to be together since she has a confirmed kill already. Better safe than sorry. She is still not eating on her own though :( We have taken the shakes away completely and still nothing. she is back on them, but only once a day till we can get her back in for her follow up exam, per the vet. She has constant communication with her dr....who is just awesome. When she went in for her second worming shot, he did a full exam and came out and talked to me about it afterwards...and never charged me for it...that was a blessing. Im going to be upping her shake intake tomorrow to 2 a day so i can get a fecal from her. Its time for the follow up exam of that this week. She is back to running across the room and is really showing her personality now more than ever! Her favorite game is "flying dragon". Her and the cats love hanging out together. She is getting ready to shed again.

Our foster is Johnny. He is super sweet and super lovable. He loves to cuddle and gives kisses. He smiles daily. But he has been going black bearded this past week. He is not real keen on my husband. he has been raised by a woman only. So I try to do most of the handling and my husband comes in and does small doses of just affection and handling for now. He finally starting eating normally in the past 5 days. Been here 3 weeks now. He went through some depression not having his momma here.... and his room (tank) broke within 1 hour of being here. had to put him in our spare tank (half the size) and he was not amused at all. We finally got him a new tank 6 days ago and he started eating the very next day. he LOVES blueberries and found out he loves some cantaloupe as a treat. His momma told me one thing before we agreed to take him in and come to find out, most of what she has told us has been lies. Poor Johnny. His tank was a disgusting mess that we had to take outside and hose down before we could even clean it normally. He had NO heat lamps, a blue UVA bulb only. (we fixed that day one of him being here). He is on the wrong kind of substrate (which we have to fix still). His log was broken into 3 pieces and unusable. (fixed that). She has been feeding him salads from McDonalds!!!!!!!! Umm not in my house! fixed that. She said he has refused all forms of CALCIUM, so she just stopped trying... ummm I dont think so. Gut loaded some crickets and then coated them in a mix of multivitamin and calcium powders and he is gobbling them down like no tomorrow. The bottle of calcium she brought over...saying she was using it.... then changed her story after she left.... was expired in 2016!!!!!!! He has an appt in January for his physical exam and xray to make sure their is no damage from the lack of vitamins. his spine is a little sunk in :( The vet has said that he is small for his age. He also is guessing that both of them are about the same age. 3 years. I will try to post some pics of them in a little while. I have tons of them but they are on my phone still.

Trevor barcello

Hatchling Dragon
That’s what my vet in San Diego put my beardie on when he was having trouble just 5ml a day of the glucerna shake / enshure and he was back to normal. I thought it was the funniest thing when she recommended it but it worked like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk