• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black neck (scared momma)

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Grimmy still hasn't eaten since my last post but is drinking his "flavored water/juices" from an eye dropper. Today we had him out for his bath and juices. then out to watch some tv (his favorite past time). He climbed down off the couch and was getting ready to walk across to his room (let's is know when he wants back in) and I noticed he wasn t moving his back legs. just dragging them both behind him. then as I was checking him out I noticed his umder neck was jet black. we moved him to his other tank (nothing in it) so he wont climb and are watching him right now. we do not have an emergency exotic vet within 2 hours of here. (in the country). please help.

Attachments

• 15105107026921351002667.jpg
    15105107026921351002667.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 39

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
...and he just pooped... all over the boyfriend! It's been over 5 weeks since he pooped. his color is coming back under his neck...mostly. he is still kinda wonky on his leg. I have no choice but to watch him till tomorrow since ALL exotic vets are closed today.

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
he still turns black bearded when I touch his leg. :( just trying to keep him calm, which is easy as he is very lazy as is. Will hint down exotic Dr tomorrow when everyone reopens. I'm really struggling with this mentally.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So hes not pooping, and he was walking funny, but after he pooped he was walking better?

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
it looks like he injuried his leg. we will be taking him to get first thing on the morning. he is definetly favoring one leg. he is sleeping peacefully right now so I am keeping his room quiet so he can rest. I honestly believe he pooped out of sheer pain. my heart breaks as I don't know how to give him any pain relief till we can get to the vet.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hope he's going to be okay. Glad that he pooped for you, even if it wasn't in an ideal place LOL! Take out decor in his tank that he needs to climb, so that he doesn't injure the leg any more. Keep us updated.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's not uncommon for them to have rear leg issues when they are impacted and haven't pooped in a long time, glad he's a bit better but getting him checked out would be a good idea. I agree take things out of his tank so he can't climb and get hurt further on. Keep us posted.

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
we found a vet finally and he comes very well recommended for exotics on this side of Texas. We couldn't get him on today but he has an appt with the vet tomorrow morning. they let me talk to the Dr on the phone and explained what's going on. they agreed I have done what has been needed. he he takes a turn for the worse, obviously get him in any where. he was non weight bearing on one side this morning. so far today, he is walking and standing tall on all 4. but he stumbles a little here and there. he does have one climbing limb still in his room, but when I took it out he freaked out. he is just leaning on it with his too half, so not to worried. even when he's fully on it, his back legs can reach the floor. he drank 1ml of "juice" this afternoon but it made his tummy giver and he has refused since. I will try some fresh strawberry water tonight. he refuses to drink straight water. spoiled brat! lol

This mommy is emotionally exhausted and sick herself so I'm pretty well drained at this point. I will update after his appt tomorrow.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry you are going through this, I know it's not easy. Glad you were able to find a reputable reptile vet, hopefully he can get some answers for you.

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
we are back from the drs! First... love him and his nurse. Very knowledgeable and Grimmy LOVED her lol. Turns out he is a SHE! lol oops! We never checked, just assumed previous owner told us correctly. second, NO bone damage at all. Super healthy bones which means we are doing the calcium intake perfectly. her insides look good. no obstructions or compaction. she is still "limping" so more than likely it's just a sprain as there is a little inflamation. I could not afford to do the blood work also today, so we will have to wait a few weeks to do that next. we did start a "worming/parasite" med and will do another dose in 2 weeks.... just on case. we are also doing 10 days of antibotic, again... just in case. if not 100% back to eating and walking normal in 1 month, then we do the blood work

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
added: sorry, my Dr walked in and I hit post before I lost it. ....long day here...

we are starting a force meal 2 x a day of super ripe bananas and ensure drink. SHE (that's takings bit to get used to) lost over 35 grams since Sunday's poop (mostly liquid since she has been on liquids only for the better part of 5 weeks). hopefully yhis will make her feel better and start eating some food on her own also. we are removing the red light as of tonight. and was told to just leave it be like that. there is an under tank heater and he said that is what they so with theirs (they have 2 beauties in the office). Being that they are desert lizards, they don't need much heat at night. as long as it's 65 or better, they are fine and it helps to mimic nature for them. we will test it tonight as our home stays a little cold. if it gets too cold then we will do a ceramic non light heater for night time.

it made me feel really good to know that we have been doing the right thing for our Grimmy this while time with the exception of the night light. Food is on spot, calcium and proteins good, ect.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Its going to be an adjustment. I thought mine was a male too, for six years..right up until she started popping out eggs. Talk about being confused lol. Good to hear there doesn't seem to be any huge issues, sounds like youve got a vet that knows what their doing. I have a hard time finding someone I like in the Dallas area. I was not a fan of needles either but I had to give my dog a shot twice a day for a few years and it actually helped me kinda get past my phobia. I still get anxious when im the one getting a shot but its not too bad anymore.

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
This Dr is in Rockwall. I can pass his info to anyone who needs it.

She LOVED the blended banana and ensure shake. I didn't even have to force her jaws open to drink it. she actually went for it. lol

I bet that was a surprise! Eggs... from a boy! haha

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad to hear... be careful with the under tank heater as beardies don't sense heat from below and can easily burn themselves.. they are not recommended for beardies because of that reason. They only sense heat from above. I kinda worry about all the sugar in banana's and in the shake..
With all of the meds you really may want to get yourself some probiotics for her as meds are very hard on their bellies and destroy all of their good gut flora and needs to be replaced.. This will also help if their belly isn't feeling well and so they don't eat much.

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
she is only getting 3ml of the banana shake. but she is not eating anything else on her own still. so that is why we are doing the higher fat/protein shake the banana is so she will want to eat something. it's not long term... just to get her through her shots, or till she eats on her own again. I just took a video of her trying to walk. there are NO broken bones or compaction or anything so I don't understand why she is not walking normally. it has to be neurological. :(

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
she is only getting 3ml of the banana shake. but she is not eating anything else on her own still. so that is why we are doing the higher fat/protein shake the banana is so she will want to eat something. it's not long term... just to get her through her shots, or till she eats on her own again. I just took a video of her trying to walk. there are NO broken bones or compaction or anything so I don't understand why she is not walking normally. it has to be neurological. :(
You can also do a slurry of greens with some pure coconut water. many of us use the magic bullet as it really blends things up into small enough to go thru a syringe. that way you also get some really good nutrients in her. I have also put some feeder bugs in there too for protein..

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was doing the green "juice" last week and half. we will go back to that after the meds or at next check up. Dr said to wait. I have a ninja.... I got liquid lol

Rachelle Hampton

Bearded Dragon Egg
do y'all have a link for some good feeders that are live that can be delivered alive? we have one petco and for some reason they are not restocking anything.