• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bee pollen

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey guys, I'm wanting to get some bee pollen for Spyra while she is taking treatment. She's still eating good but I have noticed a big change in her energy levels today. She is sleeping which she never does during the day. I've herd that bee pollen is great stuff for beardies especially while they are sick or taking worm medicine.
My question is where is a good place to get it? And how much/how often do you give it to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You can buy it online, or in a health food store. Vitamin world, or GNC may carry it. My mom runs a health food store out in IL. She researches everything she carries really in depth to make sure everything is as pure as possible. I can get some brand names from her if you'd like. That way you know you're getting the best for your beardie.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You can buy it online, or in a health food store. Vitamin world, or GNC may carry it. My mom runs a health food store out in IL. She researches everything she carries really in depth to make sure everything is as pure as possible. I can get some brand names from her if you'd like. That way you know you're getting the best for your beardie.

That would be great, tell her I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Y.S. organic bee farms and Frontier are the brands she is most familiar with. I know Y.S. is good stuff.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Y.S. organic bee farms and Frontier are the brands she is most familiar with. I know Y.S. is good stuff.

Those are the one I will look for than. Thank you both a bunch

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Let me know how it works out! If it boosts your little girl's appetite I'll keep it in mind in case I ever have a similar situation with one of my kiddos. A parent can never have too many tips and tricks up their sleeve!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Let me know how it works out! If it boosts your little girl's appetite I'll keep it in mind in case I ever have a similar situation with one of my kiddos. A parent can never have too many tips and tricks up their sleeve!

I will definitely keep you informed. You are completely right about that. I'm all about natural remedies as well so hopefully this will work

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use bee pollen and I know when I started it I noticed that my female wasn't thrilled but her colors really started to get brighter! and I got mine from the vitamin shoppe... once a week I do a slurry of supplements..

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I use bee pollen and I know when I started it I noticed that my female wasn't thrilled but her colors really started to get brighter! and I got mine from the vitamin shoppe... once a week I do a slurry of supplements..

Spyra is super picky so I'm sure she will not be thrilled either lol, maybe it is a female thing [emoji23] but if it could be beneficial to her I would love for her to at least try it.

laswabbie

Juvenile Dragon

I think I read somewhere that you use an eye dropper to "inject" the slurry into her mouth. Does she put up a fight? Can you do it by yourself, or does it take three girls and a dog to hold her down? Can you share the recipe? Thanks!

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
I'll sprinkle bee pollen on Athena's veggies and that's the only way I'll get her to eat anything solid

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think I read somewhere that you use an eye dropper to "inject" the slurry into her mouth. Does she put up a fight? Can you do it by yourself, or does it take three girls and a dog to hold her down? Can you share the recipe? Thanks!
lol that's funny...I do the slurry when it's bath time so when she lets it dribble down her beard no worries :) All I do is drip it on her tip of nose and she starts licking it so as long as she licks I squeeze a bit out each lick... allowing time for her to swallow and take a break you don't want to quickly squirt it in as you can get it in their lungs.. so even though a good amount goes down her beard a good amount goes in to.. Really don't have a recipe just some of this some of that of the supplements.. to a liquid enough to be dribbled.

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
When Athena wasn't eating I was force feeding her slurries. She fought it so much, but she seemed to like it when it had a thicker consistency (which didn't make sense to me, but whatever) and it was a 20 to 30 minute process of little squirts in her mouth. I'd say I'd get 70 to 90% in her depending on how much she fought. Thank God she's eating real food now! I blame it all on the pollen

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I wish my girl would take slurry that easily. She fought tooth and nail against the slurry when she was on antibiotics.

I haven't tried them out yet. I was going to but the vet told me since my girl wIll not be taking antibiotics there was really no need to use them or a probiotic. I'm using a probiotic anyways and would like to try a slurry once in awhile as well. I feel like it can hurt to add extra nutrition

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I haven't tried them out yet. I was going to but the vet told me since my girl wIll not be taking antibiotics there was really no need to use them or a probiotic. I'm using a probiotic anyways and would like to try a slurry once in awhile as well. I feel like it can hurt to add extra nutrition

way I see it little extra is always good, probiotics are wonderful they got my gal back to eating! once to twice a week isn't going to hurt..

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
way I see it little extra is always good, probiotics are wonderful they got my gal back to eating! once to twice a week isn't going to hurt..

I agree with your point of view of the matter. A probiotic is even good for us humans so It makes sense that it's beneficial for beardies as well. My way of thinking is antibiotic or not if something has parasites in its digestive tract you probably want to use a probiotic

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with your point of view of the matter. A probiotic is even good for us humans so It makes sense that it's beneficial for beardies as well. My way of thinking is antibiotic or not if something has parasites in its digestive tract you probably want to use a probiotic

Yep I use all the different supplements as well my kiddos are not out in the wild eating things that come natural for them so we have to help them.. it has made all the difference in my gal so that is proof enough for me..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Bee pollen is good to try to boost their appetite. My girls don't really care for it but my boy will eat it, but then he eats everything. I got mine from the Vitamin Shoppe and then ground it down to a powder. I use the rest for myself!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bee pollen is good to try to boost their appetite. My girls don't really care for it but my boy will eat it, but then he eats everything. I got mine from the Vitamin Shoppe and then ground it down to a powder. I use the rest for myself!
yep that's what I do to but I don't have a grinder so I go the ol fashion way :) having a guy that does construction there is always something lying around so I bag some up take out to garage and smash away with a tamper lol tamp until fine or I have at it with a hammer just kinda depends on my mood... lol

Latest posts