• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie will only eat purees??

nye

Hatchling Dragon
i wish this was a joke, but i think i have the pickiest beardie officially.

my male adult beardie will only eat purees, specifically if its hand fed to him. is this even a sustainable diet???

he’ll still eat his bugs with no complaints. but i have to blend his salads into a puree for him to eat them. like wth. no idea what to do now.

(no issue with heating/lighting- hes just never had salads in his previous home)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i wish this was a joke, but i think i have the pickiest beardie officially.

my male adult beardie will only eat purees, specifically if its hand fed to him. is this even a sustainable diet???

he’ll still eat his bugs with no complaints. but i have to blend his salads into a puree for him to eat them. like wth. no idea what to do now.

(no issue with heating/lighting- hes just never had salads in his previous home)
How did he get to being only hand fed? Did you ever start him on salads when you got him? I can give you some tips if you like to get him to eat from a bowl if you like --

nye

Hatchling Dragon
How did he get to being only hand fed? Did you ever start him on salads when you got him? I can give you some tips if you like to get him to eat from a bowl if you like --
He was taking medication prescribed by his vet for 1-2 months so i guess thats where it started? i probably kept up the bad habit by continuing to feed him this way once i noticed he had stopped eating. (decreased hunger was a side effect of the medication so i just got desperate and did anything to get him to eat)

yeah, i offer him salads every other day. he just never touches them. ive tried everything.

heres a long list:
1. different greens: collard, dandelion, mustard, turnip, etc.
2. blueberries, his favorite fruit in the world. id put them on his salad but he just would spit out the greens if he ever ate some accidentally
3. bugs on his salad, he did the same thing as he did with the blueberries.
4. salad dressing for beardies, he just stared at me like “seriously?”
5. hand feeding the greens, again same thing.
6. colorful veggies cut into strips to look like worms, same thing… just stared at me
7. bee pollen

there was way more that i just cant remember off the top of my head but hes been like this since the day i got him. he was given to me as a rehomed rescue and only ate crickets his entire life until i got him. hes a very difficult lizard

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He was taking medication prescribed by his vet for 1-2 months so i guess thats where it started? i probably kept up the bad habit by continuing to feed him this way once i noticed he had stopped eating. (decreased hunger was a side effect of the medication so i just got desperate and did anything to get him to eat)

yeah, i offer him salads every other day. he just never touches them. ive tried everything.

heres a long list:
1. different greens: collard, dandelion, mustard, turnip, etc.
2. blueberries, his favorite fruit in the world. id put them on his salad but he just would spit out the greens if he ever ate some accidentally
3. bugs on his salad, he did the same thing as he did with the blueberries.
4. salad dressing for beardies, he just stared at me like “seriously?”
5. hand feeding the greens, again same thing.
6. colorful veggies cut into strips to look like worms, same thing… just stared at me
7. bee pollen

there was way more that i just cant remember off the top of my head but hes been like this since the day i got him. he was given to me as a rehomed rescue and only ate crickets his entire life until i got him. hes a very difficult lizard
What insects did you try on top of the salads? He should only be getting insects now 2-3 times per week -- I have a 4 yr old that just started eating greens this last yr -- he still does not eat them regularly but he at least goes to the food bowl and will eat some - I dont know what it is w/ some of these dragons - some will love them and cant get enough and some wont eat them at all --- I started my 3 yr old on them when he was a baby and he ate them regularly till now - he eats them hit and miss -- I got my 4 yr old and didnt feed them like I should of when he has a baby and that bit me in the butt not doing that - they do need to be started on salads right away they may not eat them like they should but even a little is better than none - I used BSFL and silk worms in those salads when my 3 year old was a baby - I would keep offering the salads every morning--

nye

Hatchling Dragon
What insects did you try on top of the salads? He should only be getting insects now 2-3 times per week -- I have a 4 yr old that just started eating greens this last yr -- he still does not eat them regularly but he at least goes to the food bowl and will eat some - I dont know what it is w/ some of these dragons - some will love them and cant get enough and some wont eat them at all --- I started my 3 yr old on them when he was a baby and he ate them regularly till now - he eats them hit and miss -- I got my 4 yr old and didnt feed them like I should of when he has a baby and that bit me in the butt not doing that - they do need to be started on salads right away they may not eat them like they should but even a little is better than none - I used BSFL and silk worms in those salads when my 3 year old was a baby - I would keep offering the salads every morning--
Ive tried superworms and phoenix worms (pw got expensive really fast so i had to stop that).

i dont give him bugs with every meal. 1-2x a week depending on the supply and what i have.

i got him 4? years ago so he should be 6 or 7 now. occasionally i can trick him into eating salads (again only by hand feeding) if i shove a green in his mouth when hes chewing on something else

his vet recommended just not feeding him for a few days and said he’d eventually give in but that never worked.

id appreciate any tips at all.

edit: so are the purees not sustainable? theyre just blended veggies + greens. its what he would be eating normally but just in mush form.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ive tried superworms and phoenix worms (pw got expensive really fast so i had to stop that).

i dont give him bugs with every meal. 1-2x a week depending on the supply and what i have.

i got him 4? years ago so he should be 6 or 7 now. occasionally i can trick him into eating salads (again only by hand feeding) if i shove a green in his mouth when hes chewing on something else

his vet recommended just not feeding him for a few days and said he’d eventually give in but that never worked.

id appreciate any tips at all.

edit: so are the purees not sustainable? theyre just blended veggies + greens. its what he would be eating normally but just in mush form.
Yes the greens are very good for him --- it doesnt matter whether they are pureed (slurry) or just cut up - hes getting the same nutrients -- have you found a veggie he really likes? or can you tell ? Other than using silk worms to lure him to the bowl I dont have any other ideas--- silks stick to everything -

nye

Hatchling Dragon
Yes the greens are very good for him --- it doesnt matter whether they are pureed (slurry) or just cut up - hes getting the same nutrients -- have you found a veggie he really likes? or can you tell ? Other than using silk worms to lure him to the bowl I dont have any other ideas--- silks stick to everything -
nope. he hates all veggies. he used to like bell peppers and now hates them. he like butternut squash baby food but not the actual thing

nye

Hatchling Dragon
how do you store silkworms. i would hate to come home to moths

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
how do you store silkworms. i would hate to come home to moths
Silk worms are stored in the container I get them in - they are fed fast enough that they dont turn to moths and if they did they can be fed to the dragon - just like the super worm beetle - when the worm turns to a beetle feed to the dragon -- mine love the beetles -- you can read up on silk worms from the people that sell them if you want to start breeding them -- to me they are really picky I think -- have you checked prices on them?

Latest posts