• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie problems!!!!

undeadsoldier988

Hatchling Dragon
I bought a bearded dragon about a week ago, she's still only about 5-6 inches long.
I turn her lights off at 8p.m. and on at 8a.m. now, she has been as happy as can be, even though I ran out of crickets about 2 days ago, due to crappy weather we haven't made it to the pet store to get more, but she's been eating her collard, and mustard greens, with carrot mash. Very well actually. But for about 2 days now, she stays on her hot side, not directly under her basking light but on the branch over beside it, out of the basking area, just laying there, and seems really sleepy, just kinda hangs out there all day. Is there something wrong with her? Maybe she misses chasing nd eating crickets? I'm picking some up tomorrow due to nicer weather. She seems fine, alert, and happy/lazy when I get her out of the tank. I just recently got a water dragon that is about 4 feet away from her tank, could that maybe be a reason she is kind of blahh as well?
I'm worried.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmmm. How are your temps and lighting? Is the temp on the lower side high enough for her to be comfortable? I doubt it's the water dragon. It could be a lack of enough food but if she's eating plenty of greens she should be ok for the couple days...

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
What's your temps?
Basking?
Cool side?
What Uvb?
What's placement of Uvb?
When's last time it pooped?
Is the BD hydrated?

Post some pics of the BD and enclosure. More info we have better we can help you.

undeadsoldier988

Hatchling Dragon
She poops very well... and basking is about 90, cool is at 70 or a few lower at night. She gets bathed daily, and eats plenty of sprayed down greens. She's actually perked up now. She shedded and is seeming happier. Ill post pics.

undeadsoldier988

Hatchling Dragon
uploadfromtaptalk1391815008232.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1391815019102.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1391815027719.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1391815045097.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1391815069470.jpg

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Basking should be 100 - 110
Cool side should be 80 - 85
Temps at night should NOT drop below 65 degree if they do you require night heat use a ceramic bulb NOT RED.

Also noticed no UVB u need on a Repti sun 10.0. And they must be able to get WITHIN 10" of it if it's on top of the screen.

And the basking bulb shouldn't be red. Needs to be bright white like a flood light.....

Other than that looks good man.

Make those changes and you'll see an improvement of your beardie

undeadsoldier988

Hatchling Dragon
Well now, the red one burnt out anyways after 2 weeks, but I git a reptisun in there now, getting ready to clean her cage again now. There is a uvb that's the other light, besides the red one. She usually likes to kinda stay out of the basking, unless she is very cold. My room stayes at about 80 all day due to my heater, plus my water dragon and iguanas lights giving heat too. I spray her down with mist bottle at least twice a day. She seems to be puckerin up now lol. Just asking..... y no red?

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
So now you have both a Reptisun 10.0 AND a spiral UVB? Ditch the spiral. Get a regular indoor/outdoor halogen type floodlight bulb and put in the fixture. Red lights give off very little heat, useless light, and if left on overnight this light will disrupt sleeping patterns. They need bright white light during the day...and NO light at night. That's why you use a CHE for heat at night (only if your temps drop below 65F). CHE are ceramic heaters that give off no light at all

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So now you have both a Reptisun 10.0 AND a spiral UVB? Ditch the spiral. Get a regular indoor/outdoor halogen type floodlight bulb and put in the fixture. Red lights give off very little heat, useless light, and if left on overnight this light will disrupt sleeping patterns. They need bright white light during the day...and NO light at night. That's why you use a CHE for heat at night (only if your temps drop below 65F). CHE are ceramic heaters that give off no light at all

From his pics seems he only has a spiral UVB and a flood/basking bulb.
Either way needs to change.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
He said the red one burned out after only two weeks so he got a Reptisun now. Also said his beardie stays out of his basking area unless he's really cold...leads me to think that spiral has got to go ASAP.

undeadsoldier988

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah I'm going to get rid of the spiral uvb. The basking light is a reptisun, fogged so its not super bright. The spiral is way bright. So ill have to get a hood and get a tube uvb then. I got spirals in my iguanas cage and water dragons as well

undeadsoldier988

Hatchling Dragon
So now, she is happy with the fogged reptisun basking light, and until I get the tube uvb she will have that... better then no uvb at all lol. But gonna get the tube light ASAP. She has definitely been more active now that I moved the spiral up higher nd moved the screen over so its not blocking the light path.

Latest posts