• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie health issue?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Even with a T5HO and a reflector hood? If so, please post some
yes even T 5's cannot go thru mesh screen or at least not very well and we want him/ her to be able to get the rays he needs
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties fishing line
I use this stuff its like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
this stuff works great -

Ineedhelpplease

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello I’m in need of urgent help!!
Recently Found this bearded dragon, the lil guy was outside in the grass of my apartment complex must have been a pet the thing is he’s extremely skinny i think his owners from before if he even had any must have neglected him I have him in a tank,30 gallons with a light I had laying around since I already have a leaped gecko and plenty of things to climb on but the issue is he won’t eat and won’t let me give him water I got him smart worms since I read they’re high on fat,any tips? The other thing is he keeps his eyes closed even while climbing and only opens them when he thinks I’m gone I think he might dislike me so any bonding tips would be useful too.I’m only 15 and I’m doing as much as I can for the little guy so please go easy on me I’m trying my hardest:)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello I’m in need of urgent help!!
Recently Found this bearded dragon, the lil guy was outside in the grass of my apartment complex must have been a pet the thing is he’s extremely skinny i think his owners from before if he even had any must have neglected him I have him in a tank,30 gallons with a light I had laying around since I already have a leaped gecko and plenty of things to climb on but the issue is he won’t eat and won’t let me give him water I got him smart worms since I read they’re high on fat,any tips? The other thing is he keeps his eyes closed even while climbing and only opens them when he thinks I’m gone I think he might dislike me so any bonding tips would be useful too.I’m only 15 and I’m doing as much as I can for the little guy so please go easy on me I’m trying my hardest:)
Please share your lighting w/ him from your dragon - UVB and basking light are extremely important now - make sure your getting temps w/ a digital probe thermometer - are you going to keep him ? If so I would start setting up the 30 gallon w/a good UVB and basking light - how tall is the 30 gallon tank ? Can you post some pics of him and I am going to get some help w/ the feeding issue

Ineedhelpplease

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please share your lighting w/ him from your dragon - UVB and basking light are extremely important now - make sure your getting temps w/ a digital probe thermometer - are you going to keep him ? If so I would start setting up the 30 gallon w/a good UVB and basking light - how tall is the 30 gallon tank ? Can you post some pics of him and I am going to get some help w/ the feeding issue
If I can afford to get the right things for him I’ll keep him! Not sure how tall the tank is but it’s kept him in so far he’s really small I think he might be a baby,all the things I have in there belonged to my leapird heck or I re used from my hamsters old enclosure, my science teacher also told me to add some moss in his tank so I hope that’s ok too

Attachments

• 74AEC83F-6422-49D5-8944-2C96F45FB345.jpeg
    74AEC83F-6422-49D5-8944-2C96F45FB345.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 5473FDC2-8104-4855-81E3-7BFD33630F5D.jpeg
    5473FDC2-8104-4855-81E3-7BFD33630F5D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 9C8F674D-86FA-4486-8EDB-8144770040C9.jpeg
    9C8F674D-86FA-4486-8EDB-8144770040C9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 7C299089-79B0-4A9F-9A47-CC41CA73097D.jpeg
    7C299089-79B0-4A9F-9A47-CC41CA73097D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9

Ineedhelpplease

Bearded Dragon Egg
If I can afford to get the right things for him I’ll keep him! Not sure how tall the tank is but it’s kept him in so far he’s really small I think he might be a baby,all the things I have in there belonged to my leapird heck or I re used from my hamsters old enclosure, my science teacher also told me to add some moss in his tank so I hope that’s ok too
I sadly don’t have a digital probe thermometer I’ve kept him in the place where the sun shines the most in my room and the class on his tank gets a bit warm from the sun and the other half of the tank is a little shaded so he won’t be too hot or too cold I hope that’s good and I’m not un unintentionally making him worse haha

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I sadly don’t have a digital probe thermometer I’ve kept him in the place where the sun shines the most in my room and the class on his tank gets a bit warm from the sun and the other half of the tank is a little shaded so he won’t be too hot or too cold I hope that’s good and I’m not un unintentionally making him worse haha
Please get rid of the moss it's too dry and will give him a ri-- he needs good temps for basking and a good uvb - please get this set up if you want him to live- he's probably not very healthy being he's been in the elements- what is the weather like where you are- don't you have a dragon now

Ineedhelpplease

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get rid of the moss it's too dry and will give him a ri-- he needs good temps for basking and a good uvb - please get this set up if you want him to live- he's probably not very healthy being he's been in the elements- what is the weather like where you are- don't you have a dragon now
Hi some parts of your message aren’t coming through,I have a leapord gecko but I’ve never had a bearded dragón,ill take the moss away as soon as I get home I was told it was good for them!I’ve been putting her bulb on his tank every so often I live in Texas some days are colder than others I’ve had him here 3 days so on those days I leave the light on all day and put a heating pad on the bottom of the glass for him.do you think he will live?? He ate today in the morning i gave him 4 super worms with calcium and he even drank water

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi some parts of your message aren’t coming through,I have a leapord gecko but I’ve never had a bearded dragón,ill take the moss away as soon as I get home I was told it was good for them!I’ve been putting her bulb on his tank every so often I live in Texas some days are colder than others I’ve had him here 3 days so on those days I leave the light on all day and put a heating pad on the bottom of the glass for him.do you think he will live?? He ate today in the morning i gave him 4 super worms with calcium and he even drank water
Slow on the protein he needs basking temps of 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- a basking bulb that is a clear bright white bulb like a Exo Terra intense basking bulb but you need the probe thermometer to get actual.basking temps this is what starts digestion and a long tube uvb- w/ out these things he will not live please get this set up as soon as possible I can send links showing you what you need

Ineedhelpplease

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi some parts of your message aren’t coming through,I have a leapord gecko but I’ve never had a bearded dragón,ill take the moss away as soon as I get home I was told it was good for them!I’ve been putting her bulb on his tank every so often I live in Texas some days are colder than others I’ve had him here 3 days so on those days I leave the light on all day and put a heating pad on the bottom of the glass for him.do you think he will live?? He ate today in the morning i gave him 4 super worms with calcium and he even drank
I’d also like to add my leopard gecko is very old (8 years)so I can’t have her light on him all the time but I make sure to put it on him every so often since the light I have for him now is a white light from
Slow on the protein he needs basking temps of 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- a basking bulb that is a clear bright white bulb like a Exo Terra intense basking bulb but you need the probe thermometer to get actual.basking temps this is what starts digestion and a long tube uvb- w/ out these things he will not live please get this set up as soon as possible I can send links showing you what you need
I found the light I have,it’s a zilla slim light fixture ,is this good for now?,links would be greatly appreciated

Craig2317

Bearded Dragon Egg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I found the light I have,it’s a zilla slim light fixture ,is this good for now?,links would be greatly appreciated
Yes the fixture is good but I want you to.get this bulb reptisun 10.0 T 8- take the clear plastic cover off the fixture leave it off - place the uvb directly over the basking decor NO screen if you haft to put it width wise on the tank- it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above him this bulb is way better than the Zilla bulb

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes the fixture is good but I want you to.get this bulb reptisun 10.0 T 8- take the clear plastic cover off the fixture leave it off - place the uvb directly over the basking decor NO screen if you haft to put it width wise on the tank- it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above him this bulb is way better than the Zilla bulb
And please get a digital probe thermometer- this is important take the probe place on the hammock where he's sitting for basking 10 minutes or get the temp- 95-100 you don't want to burn him up post pics of the tank when you have this set up

Ineedhelpplease

Bearded Dragon Egg
Alright I also found the light I use for my leapord gecko that I put on him!
Alright I’ll start saving to get it it will take me about a week since that’s when I get payed do you think he will be alright with the light he has now until then? My leapord geckos lamp is a heat lamp could I put that over the basking decor until then ?id also like to add that the basking decore is that little hammock and wood is that good or should I get something else? Also what do you recommend about the bonding I think he hates and is terrified of me he’s bit me a couple times while I was moving things around his cage !

Ineedhelpplease

Bearded Dragon Egg

Alright I’ll start saving to get it it will take me about a week since that’s when I get payed do you think he will be alright with the light he has now until then? My leapord geckos lamp is a heat lamp could I put that over the basking decor until then ?id also like to add that the basking decore is that little hammock and wood is that good or should I get something else? Also what do you recommend about the bonding I think he hates and is terrified of me he’s bit me a couple times while I was moving things around his cage !
These are the two things I’ll buy tell me if they are correct:) I’m going to buy the first one that is yellow is that good

Attachments

• 5FBF6B89-01D6-4E4E-AD2B-1809589D1C62.png
    5FBF6B89-01D6-4E4E-AD2B-1809589D1C62.png
    318.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 9CEDC323-FB67-4681-AEA4-F69BF837FD9E.png
    9CEDC323-FB67-4681-AEA4-F69BF837FD9E.png
    1 MB · Views: 5

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

The heat lamp needs to be a CLEAR bright white basking bulb no colored bulbs - they cause eye damage - you need that probe as soon as you can get it- get the uvb set up as I posted above this is extremely important - he's truamatized leave him be for now - he needs fresh salads every day kale turnip collards some squash like zucchini and a staple feeder like crickets dubia roaches bsfl or phoenix worms they are also called - the biggest thing is trust he's been mistreated and it's gonna take some time for him to adjust and learn to trust and being out on his own did not help matters- go slow w/ him but you must get your temps and uvb corrected so he can start to acclimate to the tank-- put a piece of your clothing in the hide so he can start to build trust approach from the side not above he will think your a predator

Ineedhelpplease

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes good job on both
Thank you so much for the help I’ve never had a bearded dragon so I was and still am a bit lost I’m more use to having pigs haha I’ll update you when I get the things! Should he be fine for now? How should I go about feeding since he’s scared of me I don’t want to scare him more

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much for the help I’ve never had a bearded dragon so I was and still am a bit lost I’m more use to having pigs haha I’ll update you when I get the things! Should he be fine for now? How should I go about feeding since he’s scared of me I don’t want to scare him more
Yes feed him - he needs food and water-
Place a bowl in the tank w/ his salad in it you can rinse the greens before serving cut them up he needs a staple insect and take it slow w/ those and dust the insects w/ calcium D3 that uvb is what is going to help him absorb the calcium - lightly coat the insects-

Ineedhelpplease

Bearded Dragon Egg
Place a bowl in the tank w/ his salad in it you can rinse the greens before serving cut them up he needs a staple insect and take it slow w/ those and dust the insects w/ calcium D3 that uvb is what is going to help him absorb the calcium - lightly coat the insects-
As soon as I came home I took away the moss like you said! He ate a single worm and drank some water too But I’ve noticed he keeps his eyes closed I got worried so I scooped him up and he started moving round in my hands but he won’t open his eyes,I did some research and was wondering if this could be a si
Hi!sorry to bother you again but I had more questions ! I took away the moss like you said But was wondering if it could be possible he’s going into brumation? I’ve done some research and it seems possible,he ate a single worm coated in calcium about 3 hours ago but he won’t keep open his eyes for too long and seems sleepy he moves around a bit (to get comfier I assume since he gets closer to his light) but only when I leave the room I know this because I can hear him moving around from my living room and my leapord gecko is old so she’s not as loud haha it also makes sence since its February and I read it usually happens around these months
Im also working out plans to order his things!
I’ve decided to name the little guy Haunter like the Pokémon:)

Ineedhelpplease

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi!sorry to bother you again but I had more questions ! I took away the moss like you said But was wondering if it could be possible he’s going into brumation? I’ve done some research and it seems possible,he ate a single worm coated in calcium about 3 hours ago but he won’t keep open his eyes for too long and seems sleepy he moves around a bit (to get comfier I assume since he gets closer to his light) but only when I leave the room I know this because I can hear him moving around from my living room and my leapord gecko is old so she’s not as loud haha it also makes sence since its February and I read it usually happens around these months
Im also working out plans to order his things!
I’ve decided to name the little guy Haunter like the Pokémon:)
One more update for today! I read that baths can help them with rehydration and bowel movements he let me pick him up and as soon as I put him in he perked right up and started drinking some water and opened his. Eyes to look around!

Attachments

• D6C7C1B3-AB18-42CA-BBB4-8F9B926C4CB1.jpeg
    D6C7C1B3-AB18-42CA-BBB4-8F9B926C4CB1.jpeg
    843.1 KB · Views: 5