• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie health issue?

Craig2317

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a couple of different things going on with my 8-9 month old beardie. First, she only picks at greens she used to devour, Second, she hasn't shed in a couple of months. She still readily eats 5 crickets and 4-5 mealworms daily though. She also only will poop every 3-4 days when I giver her a warm bath. The girl where I bought her thinks it may be sort of a semi-brumation, since she's not a full adult. Is that possible? Has anyone else experienced this?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a couple of different things going on with my 8-9 month old beardie. First, she only picks at greens she used to devour, Second, she hasn't shed in a couple of months. She still readily eats 5 crickets and 4-5 mealworms daily though. She also only will poop every 3-4 days when I giver her a warm bath. The girl where I bought her thinks it may be sort of a semi-brumation, since she's not a full adult. Is that possible? Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes semi brumation is they will sleep for a few days maybe a week then come out eat a little bask - but usually 8-9 month olds do not brumate at all - unless you have a really big dragon like over 300 grams ++ - also your lighting could be causing this behavior - incorrect basking temps and incorrect UVB - pooping is good they will slow down w/ the pooping as they get older - mine dont poop for like weeks at time -- as long as they are being fed a good diet and kept hydrated pooping will come naturally -- but you need good surface basking temps taken w/a digital probe thermometer and a good long tube fixture UVB - coils are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues

Craig2317

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes semi brumation is they will sleep for a few days maybe a week then come out eat a little bask - but usually 8-9 month olds do not brumate at all - unless you have a really big dragon like over 300 grams ++ - also your lighting could be causing this behavior - incorrect basking temps and incorrect UVB - pooping is good they will slow down w/ the pooping as they get older - mine dont poop for like weeks at time -- as long as they are being fed a good diet and kept hydrated pooping will come naturally -- but you need good surface basking temps taken w/a digital probe thermometer and a good long tube fixture UVB - coils are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues
The basking temp. is about 94 but she seldom gets all the way up near the heat source. She's about 14" so I don't think she's extraordinarily large. She prefers to hang on a hammock about a foot or so away from the bulb itself. So a coil UV is no good? It is on the cool side of the tank and she rarely will go over there. I'll try a long bulb, Thanks!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The basking temp. is about 94 but she seldom gets all the way up near the heat source. She's about 14" so I don't think she's extraordinarily large. She prefers to hang on a hammock about a foot or so away from the bulb itself. So a coil UV is no good? It is on the cool side of the tank and she rarely will go over there. I'll try a long bulb, Thanks!
Please get a Zoo Med 24" fixture for a 40 gallon tank- w/ a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb the Zoo Med will come w/ 5.0 bulb that is more for a aquarium use-- you can use it for a backup but the distance and placement is different from the 10.0 - the uvb placement and distance will be determined by your screen - please post back on here and I will help you place it for your tank- this is probably the cause of the behavior your getting now and it's a good thing you caught it now - coils are terrible for uvb rays

Craig2317

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get a Zoo Med 24" fixture for a 40 gallon tank- w/ a 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb the Zoo Med will come w/ 5.0 bulb that is more for a aquarium use-- you can use it for a backup but the distance and placement is different from the 10.0 - the uvb placement and distance will be determined by your screen - please post back on here and I will help you place it for your tank- this is probably the cause of the behavior your getting now and it's a good thing you caught it now - coils are terrible for uvb rays
I'll do that. Thanks again!

Craig2317

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'll do that. Thanks again!
Hi! I went to Petco to buy the bulb you recommended and all they had was an 18" Zilla 50 UVB T8 bulb and fixture. Will this be adequate or should I go look on Amazon for exactly what you recommended?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! I went to Petco to buy the bulb you recommended and all they had was an 18" Zilla 50 UVB T8 bulb and fixture. Will this be adequate or should I go look on Amazon for exactly what you recommended?
Please go here most Petcos and Petsmarts do not carry this fixture so I am going to post 2 UVB's they are both good pick one that you like
this one comes w/ the 5.0 bulb you want this one 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...y-vapor/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5
or this one https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood?variant=39549895475242 you want the 24" fixture
This place is fast and good they ship Fed Ex please let me know when you get it
The Zilla fixture would be fine but the bulb it comes w/ not so much and this is a T 8 you want a T 5
the bulbs for the T 5 need to be replaced every year I recommend a month prior to please mark the calendar or the box -- w/ date of install When you get the fixture please post back on here and I will help you get it placed for your tank - the screen will determine where it goes

Craig2317

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please go here most Petcos and Petsmarts do not carry this fixture so I am going to post 2 UVB's they are both good pick one that you like
this one comes w/ the 5.0 bulb you want this one 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...y-vapor/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5
or this one https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood?variant=39549895475242 you want the 24" fixture
This place is fast and good they ship Fed Ex please let me know when you get it
The Zilla fixture would be fine but the bulb it comes w/ not so much and this is a T 8 you want a T 5
the bulbs for the T 5 need to be replaced every year I recommend a month prior to please mark the calendar or the box -- w/ date of install When you get the fixture please post back on here and I will help you get it placed for your tank - the screen will determine where it goes
I ordered the first one from Pangea. I'll be in touch soon. Thanks again!

Craig2317

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello again! The UV strip light is supposed to be here tomorrow so any tips you may have about tank set up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello again! The UV strip light is supposed to be here tomorrow so any tips you may have about tank set up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Please post a pic of your screen then I can tell you about placement and distance

Julesfx13

Bearded Dragon Egg
hello I don't know if I need to start a new thread or can just ask my question here, but I am worried about my 10 year old male bearded dragon. He hasn't eaten since the beginning of summer. I got him a new ubv bulb and he still hasn't eaten. I have tried baths, taking him out to make him walk around. All he did was try to hide and go to sleep. All he has done since summer is sleep. I have gotten him to drink some water here and there but still no luck with food. he doesn't feel like he has lost any weight. is it normal for a beard this old to just stop eating and running around. A few years back I had blood work done on him and everything looked great and healthy. His skin looks fine, he is still responsive. I don't know what to do. Any ideas would be very helpful.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hello I don't know if I need to start a new thread or can just ask my question here, but I am worried about my 10 year old male bearded dragon. He hasn't eaten since the beginning of summer. I got him a new ubv bulb and he still hasn't eaten. I have tried baths, taking him out to make him walk around. All he did was try to hide and go to sleep. All he has done since summer is sleep. I have gotten him to drink some water here and there but still no luck with food. he doesn't feel like he has lost any weight. is it normal for a beard this old to just stop eating and running around. A few years back I had blood work done on him and everything looked great and healthy. His skin looks fine, he is still responsive. I don't know what to do. Any ideas would be very helpful.
Please post a pic of him and his lighting- he should not be still sleeping- what are your basking temps and how are you taking them? Please start a new thread

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fine mesh
Ok so it will need to go inside the tank --- directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches - if you need stuff to hang w/ let me know I will post some for you

Craig2317

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so it will need to go inside the tank --- directly over the basking decor piece 12-15 inches - if you need stuff to hang w/ let me know I will post some for you
Even with a T5HO and a reflector hood? If so, please post some

Latest posts