• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie has bump on nostril, help.

cadiemyers

Bearded Dragon Egg
The bump on his nose came off after I used neosporin on it, and to my horror it exposed what looks like a chunk missing full of puss, I am horrified. I did not take him to the vet (various personal issues) I will be having a friend who des with reptiles look at him tomorrow. If anybody has any suggestions as to what is going on please let me know. Again, I will keep posted.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Any guess on our part is just speculation but we will help any way we can. Could be the result of loose particle getting lodged in the nostril & becoming infected. Could be from an overshed in that nostril. I'm sorry I couldn't be any more help & I'm very sorry that u & your dragon are going through this but since times are tough & you can't get to the vet, you're going to have to tend to the wound. Have you tried cleaning it at all?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The bump on his nose came off after I used neosporin on it, and to my horror it exposed what looks like a chunk missing full of puss, I am horrified. I did not take him to the vet (various personal issues) I will be having a friend who des with reptiles look at him tomorrow. If anybody has any suggestions as to what is going on please let me know. Again, I will keep posted.
It's been over a month! Poor thing :(.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If it's been over a month and it's obviously infected: full of puss... then you need to get that poor creature to the vet asap. I would imagine that the infection has got to be raging through the BD's system by now, and I feel I'm morally obligated to tell you to do something immediately! They are not impervious to infection, and a cut or a scrape can and will get infected. They don't live in bacteria free environments no matter how hard we try to keep up after them. Whatever the original problem was, it has amplified and you need to get it taken care of.

cadiemyers

Bearded Dragon Egg
I took him to the vet the day after I posted this. He's on antibiotics now and looks like it's healing up :). He gave me quite the scare.

On a side note, I think I may have a Rankin Dragon because he's a year old and only 14 inches long and I believe the vet said he weighs 5 oz. he eats well and is in good health. I'm curious to know if he is.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad to hear it is on the mend :D.

It is Highly unlikely that it is a Rankin or Henry Lawson Dragon. Rankin's average adult size is less than 10"-12", have very dull grey/brown colors, have not successfully been bred for color that I know of & are quite rare in the US. Yours has very prominent yellows & is much too large. You have a smaller, still young, quite normal Dragon that may quite likely still grow in length. Some dragons, I have had 1, that never topped out at more than 15".

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's great news! I'm glad you were able to get to the Vet. Did they have any ideas as to what might have caused it?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I took him to the vet the day after I posted this. He's on antibiotics now and looks like it's healing up :). He gave me quite the scare.

On a side note, I think I may have a Rankin Dragon because he's a year old and only 14 inches long and I believe the vet said he weighs 5 oz. he eats well and is in good health. I'm curious to know if he is.
Thank you so much for taking him to the vet! I am so relieved to hear that he's getting better, I can only imagine what you both were going through.

cadiemyers

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm very happy to see him getting better. I think he knew he was at the vets office because he started bobbing his head at me, which he's never done. Haha. Before beardo (yes, that is his name, haha) I was never enthusiastic about reptiles but ge's completely changed my perspective on them. He's definitely my dragon baby.

The vet said he had no idea what caused the infection, so that still remains a mystery. I will be getting Internet soon and will be happy to post pictures more pictures of him!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I'm very happy to see him getting better. I think he knew he was at the vets office because he started bobbing his head at me, which he's never done. Haha. Before beardo (yes, that is his name, haha) I was never enthusiastic about reptiles but ge's completely changed my perspective on them. He's definitely my dragon baby.

The vet said he had no idea what caused the infection, so that still remains a mystery. I will be getting Internet soon and will be happy to post pictures more pictures of him!
I'm so glad to hear he has gotten better! Let us know how it heals as well please. I'd feel bad for him if he had a chunk missing out of his face forever :(. Can you post pics now that he's been to the vet? Of course, only when you're able! How did he treat it? I'd be curious to know if he drained the affected area before he sent him home :confused: looked like the whole side of his face was swollen, not just the area where the lump was.

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
A good vet checkup would be great; either an infection or maybe even a bug bite; but thats rare to happen..

cadiemyers

Bearded Dragon Egg
The vet only gave me antibiotics for him and sent me on my way. I think the antibtics have been fighting the infection by pushing the puss out. I just pushed most of it out by hand with a q tip and there was so much. I'm letting him recoup for now and hoping since the puss is gone that it will start to heal more quickly. I will post pics soon.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The vet only gave me antibiotics for him and sent me on my way. I think the antibtics have been fighting the infection by pushing the puss out. I just pushed most of it out by hand with a q tip and there was so much. I'm letting him recoup for now and hoping since the puss is gone that it will start to heal more quickly. I will post pics soon.
Poor guy, keeping my fingers crossed & hoping for a quick recovery.

Latest posts