• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie ate sapling

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What do I do if she starts blackbearding or has a bad reaction?
You need to get some activated charcoal and dose her -- or get some cilantro, parsley, mint, basil & oregano into a paste or liquid & give to him daily to help with detoxing.

haleygreer

Hatchling Dragon
What is the dose for activated charcoal? For the paste? How can I tell if she needs either?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What is the dose for activated charcoal? For the paste? How can I tell if she needs either?
Follow the directions on the box --- get a weight on her -- if shes black bearding - lethargic not acting herself -- I think shes fine tho they can eat lemon just not a lot of it --- how long ago did she eat this?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It was just a few minutes ago, and just the leaf of a small lemon sapling
If shes not doing any black bearding she should be fine -- if its toxic it will show right away -- just watch her behavior -- dragons have been known to eat lots worse

haleygreer

Hatchling Dragon
Okay! Lately she's been pretty lethargic anyways--probably brumation--but I'll keep an eye out for black bearding

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay! Lately she's been pretty lethargic anyways--probably brumation--but I'll keep an eye out for black bearding
What are you using for a UVB ? long tube or a coil ---- surface basking temps and how are you getting them? Need to rule these things out as incorrect lighting and temps can cause brumation behavior --

haleygreer

Hatchling Dragon
long tube arcadia 12%, in the middle of 4x2x2, also on basking side 160W mega-ray MVB along with an exo terra intense basking spot bulb also on basking side. Using IR thermometer for temps plus ambient digital thermometer/hygrometer on both sides. Ambient is 82 on cool side and highest basking spot temp on the warm side measured with IR thermometer is 105. I've noticed she's never active in her tank, but if she's been basking under the sun for at least 30 min she will then be very active

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
long tube arcadia 12%, in the middle of 4x2x2, also on basking side 160W mega-ray MVB along with an exo terra intense basking spot bulb also on basking side. Using IR thermometer for temps plus ambient digital thermometer/hygrometer on both sides. Ambient is 82 on cool side and highest basking spot temp on the warm side measured with IR thermometer is 105. I've noticed she's never active in her tank, but if she's been basking under the sun for at least 30 min she will then be very active
Ok the Mega Ray might be over doing it w/ the UVB -- the Arcadia is great make sure the distance is 12-15 inches w/ a piece of basking decor directly under it --- the ambient digital does that have a probe on it -- or they a stand alone sitting in the tank ? You want surface basking temps 95-100 for a adult dragon --- and you need to get it w/ a digital probe thermometer-- they are the most accurate - it all sounds good so she could be slowing down because of the weather -- is she eating?

haleygreer

Hatchling Dragon
The arcadia is 14 inches above basking decor, where it puts out ~5-6UV and ~3UV on the ground, and the mega-ray only puts out 3.5UV maximum. The ambient digital don't have probes but I do have a third with probes in the tank, it measures 81.9F right in the middle of the tank. If my temps and UV are correct, she should be coming out more but she spends all day in her cave and has all but refused greens. She will still go for treats like green bean and blueberry and butternut squash. There's one basking platform in the middle of the tank because it puts off the most UV in that spot, but the heat is over another basking platform off to one side because I don't want to make the whole tank too hot (there's less UV on the side platform w/heat, only around 3-4UV)

haleygreer

Hatchling Dragon
AD88F39B-A70F-4504-BABE-3717B1FD84C0.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The arcadia is 14 inches above basking decor, where it puts out ~5-6UV and ~3UV on the ground, and the mega-ray only puts out 3.5UV maximum. The ambient digital don't have probes but I do have a third with probes in the tank, it measures 81.9F right in the middle of the tank. If my temps and UV are correct, she should be coming out more but she spends all day in her cave and has all but refused greens. She will still go for treats like green bean and blueberry and butternut squash. There's one basking platform in the middle of the tank because it puts off the most UV in that spot, but the heat is over another basking platform off to one side because I don't want to make the whole tank too hot (there's less UV on the side platform w/heat, only around 3-4UV)
Ok so you want middle of the tank 90's --- hot side 95-100 -- and cool side 80's -- so shes eating no bugs/ worms? I would get a weight on her now -- watch to see if shes losing weight - what is her main staple insect? how are the poops ? formed moist and dark? urate formed moist and white? how often do you change the UVB bulb?

Attachments

• New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 26

haleygreer

Hatchling Dragon
She would usually get dubia but I'm ordering some more BSFL instead since her uric acid levels were mildly high in her blood test from the vet...She isn't pooping very often because she isn't eating much or basking unless she's in natural sunlight, but it's been pretty runny with pink tint on the end of urate (otherwise it's moist and white)...suspecting parasites so trying to get her to go again so I can have it tested. I change the UVB every 6 months unless the UV output starts to decline, then it's sooner. But the bulbs I have now (excepting the intense basking spot bulb) are less than a month old

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She would usually get dubia but I'm ordering some more BSFL instead since her uric acid levels were mildly high in her blood test from the vet...She isn't pooping very often because she isn't eating much or basking unless she's in natural sunlight, but it's been pretty runny with pink tint on the end of urate (otherwise it's moist and white)...suspecting parasites so trying to get her to go again so I can have it tested. I change the UVB every 6 months unless the UV output starts to decline, then it's sooner. But the bulbs I have now (excepting the intense basking spot bulb) are less than a month old
silk worms are good for a staple www.reptilianarts.com
and yes what goes in comes out -- how much supplements are you giving that can cause pink urate as well - does the poop smell so bad you can smell it out of the room

haleygreer

Hatchling Dragon
I can usually only smell it in the room but it's strong, she gets supplements on her bugs and that's just them being dusted with repashy calcium plus and she gets that once a week...I've also been giving her tart cherry concentrate every few days to ease the uric acid

haleygreer

Hatchling Dragon
Hi, it's me again... It's been a few days and she just passed this. It looks like there wasn't much poop or urate in her system, and I have been giving her daily warm water baths at the suggestion of my vet...maybe the bath encouraged her to poop even though this was all she had? I'm concerned about the urate, do you have an idea why it would be shriveled like this?

Attachments

• IMG_1551 Small.jpeg
    IMG_1551 Small.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts