• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon opening mouth to gasp, only SOMETIMES?

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
I'm sorry, but I really feel like the people responding to this thread are not actually taking anything I say into consideration and are just dumping their general knowledge of bearded dragon care in hopes of being seen as an expert or something?

I know all the causes of a URI, which is why I made this thread in the first place. Due to my confusion as to why this is happening despite having her checked for infections multiple times.
My vet has wondered if it's weight related, since her weight has been an ongoing issue. But that's just a thought, and we won't know for sure until I can keep her at a healthy weight.

I've since realized that it's not just him she'll do that on. She'll do it on me as well. From what I've seen, I really feel like it has something to do with her lungs being compressed in some way while she's laying down. Since she only does it while laying down, with the severity significantly depending on the part of my chest that she's laying on. And with that in mind I feel like the weight theory may be onto something? Being fat can often come with breathing problems in humans due to excess fat pressing up against your chest wall and diaphragm. Don't see why excess fat on lizards can't do a similar thing? I dunno. I've kind of put it aside for now, since she's still as active and excitable as ever, and it doesn't happen at all unless she's sleeping on someone's chest. And of course we've stopped doing that. So like, man I have no idea.
I know when my baby was little about 5 or 6 months he started this same thing and I thought it was a uri as well but he showed no symptoms and I couldn't hear anything took him to a vet perfectly healthy and after searching and searching I found one that said that maybe his tank was too small so I got a way bigger size and boom he stopped doing that I don't know if that's what is wrong with your beardie though

Dae

Bearded Dragon Egg
I know when my baby was little about 5 or 6 months he started this same thing and I thought it was a uri as well but he showed no symptoms and I couldn't hear anything took him to a vet perfectly healthy and after searching and searching I found one that said that maybe his tank was too small so I got a way bigger size and boom he stopped doing that I don't know if that's what is wrong with your beardie though
Huh, that's weird! My tank is 4x2x2, and she seems to appreciate the space.. she no longer wall surfs constantly like she used to in the exo-terra I had. (Unless she's got like, post-poop zoomies lmao) But I dunno, your case is honestly really interesting, I'm insanely curious now as to how that worked!

But yeah, honestly I have no clue. I send her in for check ups every year, right before she goes into brumation, just to see if she's healthy before she goes stealth mode in her hide for like 2 months lol. So it's something I've brought up the 2 years I've had her. Also, when I first rescued her from a family friend, I got her on antibiotics for tail rot. The same time she was doing this. So I feel like if it was a URI, the meds would've worked to clear it up as well? But no changes.

Also honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to take my vet's idea about her weight into consideration. Because it wasn't as severe as it has been in like the past year and a half. And she was like, skinny skinny back then.

So, I've been periodically watching over her while shes brumating, to see if she's gasping or opening her mouth at all. So far she's been pretty peaceful, which probably just has something to do with how deep she is in sleep. But normally, outside of brumation, she will open her mouth a bit while sleeping, though it's more like gaping more than it is gasping, like in the video.

(I'm off like, 2 Bangs so excuse my long rambly response LOL)

Wolfgirl97578

Juvenile Dragon
Huh, that's weird! My tank is 4x2x2, and she seems to appreciate the space.. she no longer wall surfs constantly like she used to in the exo-terra I had. (Unless she's got like, post-poop zoomies lmao) But I dunno, your case is honestly really interesting, I'm insanely curious now as to how that worked!

But yeah, honestly I have no clue. I send her in for check ups every year, right before she goes into brumation, just to see if she's healthy before she goes stealth mode in her hide for like 2 months lol. So it's something I've brought up the 2 years I've had her. Also, when I first rescued her from a family friend, I got her on antibiotics for tail rot. The same time she was doing this. So I feel like if it was a URI, the meds would've worked to clear it up as well? But no changes.

Also honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to take my vet's idea about her weight into consideration. Because it wasn't as severe as it has been in like the past year and a half. And she was like, skinny skinny back then.

So, I've been periodically watching over her while shes brumating, to see if she's gasping or opening her mouth at all. So far she's been pretty peaceful, which probably just has something to do with how deep she is in sleep. But normally, outside of brumation, she will open her mouth a bit while sleeping, though it's more like gaping more than it is gasping, like in the video.

(I'm off like, 2 Bangs so excuse my long rambly response LOL)
See when mine started doing weird breathing he was like 4 or 5 months so I definitely knew it wasn't brumation and all his symptoms I couldn't fine he was active just had some weird breathing problems went to a way bigger tank and he stopped so idk what his problem was lol

Reactions: Dae

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
My 6 month old has done this as well. She's been to the vet three times since I got her in July and definitely does not have an RI. All my conditions are right too. Is your beardie hydrated and how big of food are you giving her?

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm sorry, but I really feel like the people responding to this thread are not actually taking anything I say into consideration and are just dumping their general knowledge of bearded dragon care in hopes of being seen as an expert or something?

I know all the causes of a URI, which is why I made this thread in the first place. Due to my confusion as to why this is happening despite having her checked for infections multiple times.
My vet has wondered if it's weight related, since her weight has been an ongoing issue. But that's just a thought, and we won't know for sure until I can keep her at a healthy weight.

I've since realized that it's not just him she'll do that on. She'll do it on me as well. From what I've seen, I really feel like it has something to do with her lungs being compressed in some way while she's laying down. Since she only does it while laying down, with the severity significantly depending on the part of my chest that she's laying on. And with that in mind I feel like the weight theory may be onto something? Being fat can often come with breathing problems in humans due to excess fat pressing up against your chest wall and diaphragm. Don't see why excess fat on lizards can't do a similar thing? I dunno. I've kind of put it aside for now, since she's still as active and excitable as ever, and it doesn't happen at all unless she's sleeping on someone's chest. And of course we've stopped doing that. So like, man I have no idea.
No being Fat/overweight causes Fatty Liver Disease in a beardie & has nothing to do with breathing problems. If u are feeding mealworms; Stop asap, those are a horrible fatty cheap feeder. Stick to Dubia roaches & crickets 1-2 times per week if the beardie is over 2 years old amd everyday a plate of fresh greens amd veggies. Breathing issues is an URinfection and can lead to death. Find another reptile vet that’s reputable amd has good reviews or ask a Breeder or a specialty reptile store they will know of a good vet.

Earls MUM

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Every since I adopted her in January, she has done this thing where she'll open her mouth and take big gasps in, but only when she's laying down on someone's chest? And it's a constant while shes sleeping there.
Since I've had her she's been to the vet twice, both times came back with a clean bill of health. Checking for respitory infections and finding nothing (both vets even said they were surprised by how good her mouth area looks lol) she doesn't emit any clicking noises when she does it. I honestly suspect that just the shape and firmness of a persons chest is just pushing up on her lungs or something? Especially since she's laying flat?

But I still can't help but worry, and googling usually brings me to the respitory infection answer, but that's already been ruled out.
I'll also mention that during this time, she's taken out of her tank into a somewhat colder climate than the tank. Could colder temp play a role in this too? Even if she doesn't do this while moving around in said temp?

Also, yes I don't lay her on my chest because of this, but my boyfriend has to be constantly reminded so I'm forced to be faced with it, and I can't help but worry when I see it.

So, I want to know, is this something others have seen? Situational gasping in an otherwise seemingly healthy dragon? Lemme know your thoughts.
It could be shes just gaping to regulate her body temp. It is something all deagons do, it's just sone people dont notice them doing it.