• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon opening mouth to gasp, only SOMETIMES?

Dae

Bearded Dragon Egg
Every since I adopted her in January, she has done this thing where she'll open her mouth and take big gasps in, but only when she's laying down on someone's chest? And it's a constant while shes sleeping there.
Since I've had her she's been to the vet twice, both times came back with a clean bill of health. Checking for respitory infections and finding nothing (both vets even said they were surprised by how good her mouth area looks lol) she doesn't emit any clicking noises when she does it. I honestly suspect that just the shape and firmness of a persons chest is just pushing up on her lungs or something? Especially since she's laying flat?

But I still can't help but worry, and googling usually brings me to the respitory infection answer, but that's already been ruled out.
I'll also mention that during this time, she's taken out of her tank into a somewhat colder climate than the tank. Could colder temp play a role in this too? Even if she doesn't do this while moving around in said temp?

Also, yes I don't lay her on my chest because of this, but my boyfriend has to be constantly reminded so I'm forced to be faced with it, and I can't help but worry when I see it.

So, I want to know, is this something others have seen? Situational gasping in an otherwise seemingly healthy dragon? Lemme know your thoughts.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Every since I adopted her in January, she has done this thing where she'll open her mouth and take big gasps in, but only when she's laying down on someone's chest? And it's a constant while shes sleeping there.
Since I've had her she's been to the vet twice, both times came back with a clean bill of health. Checking for respitory infections and finding nothing (both vets even said they were surprised by how good her mouth area looks lol) she doesn't emit any clicking noises when she does it. I honestly suspect that just the shape and firmness of a persons chest is just pushing up on her lungs or something? Especially since she's laying flat?

But I still can't help but worry, and googling usually brings me to the respitory infection answer, but that's already been ruled out.
I'll also mention that during this time, she's taken out of her tank into a somewhat colder climate than the tank. Could colder temp play a role in this too? Even if she doesn't do this while moving around in said temp?

Also, yes I don't lay her on my chest because of this, but my boyfriend has to be constantly reminded so I'm forced to be faced with it, and I can't help but worry when I see it.

So, I want to know, is this something others have seen? Situational gasping in an otherwise seemingly healthy dragon? Lemme know your thoughts.
Is she actually gasping ? Is she breathing hard ? Or is she gaping to adjust her body temp?

Dae

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is she actually gasping ? Is she breathing hard ? Or is she gaping to adjust her body temp?
Maybe it's gasping? I don't know, it kinda looks like heavy open-mouth breathing. Her breathing starts to get heavier shortly before she begins to do this. I went ahead and just took her out of her tank and tried to replicate it while she's laying on me, but I laid here for about an hour with her on my chest and she was sound asleep the entire time. But then I woke my BF up and put her on him and she started to do it in within a couple minutes?? My boyfriend runs REALLY hot like, all the time.. I'm thinking like, could it be she's overheating because beardies can't thermoregulate heat coming from their undersides? I don't know, I can't think of any other reason why she'd do this on him but not me? And the all the last times I've seen it happen was while she was on him.

Vid: (looks hard to watch but I can assure you she doesn't act like this at any time other than this)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Maybe it's gasping? I don't know, it kinda looks like heavy open-mouth breathing. Her breathing starts to get heavier shortly before she begins to do this. I went ahead and just took her out of her tank and tried to replicate it while she's laying on me, but I laid here for about an hour with her on my chest and she was sound asleep the entire time. But then I woke my BF up and put her on him and she started to do it in within a couple minutes?? My boyfriend runs REALLY hot like, all the time.. I'm thinking like, could it be she's overheating because beardies can't thermoregulate heat coming from their undersides? I don't know, I can't think of any other reason why she'd do this on him but not me? And the all the last times I've seen it happen was while she was on him.

Vid: (looks hard to watch but I can assure you she doesn't act like this at any time other than this)
That could be it shes gaping or thermoglating on him if he runs warm but its strange that she does it on her stomach most dragons gape when either sitting under the basking lamp to adjust body temps as they heat from their backs--- does she do that under her heat lamp or around other parts of her tank as well ?

Dae

Bearded Dragon Egg
That could be it shes gaping or thermoglating on him if he runs warm but its strange that she does it on her stomach most dragons gape when either sitting under the basking lamp to adjust body temps as they heat from their backs--- does she do that under her heat lamp or around other parts of her tank as well ?
Nope, she gapes her mouth normally under her light, no panting or heavy breathing. Which is I think that she's overheating? Since maybe she can't regulate her heat due to the lack of nerves on beardies underbellies? I don't know..

editted because I wrote a response and it somehow got sent out before it was done.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nope, she gapes her mouth normally under her light, no panting or heavy breathing. Which is I think that she's overheating? Since maybe she can't regulate her heat due to the lack of nerves on beardies underbellies? I don't know..

editted because I wrote a response and it somehow got sent out before it was done.
The gaping is normal and they heat from their backs- she's adjusting her body temp

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Hi.....Its def an "Upper Respiratory Infection". GAPING IS A SYMPTOM. Please Please Please find a vet ASAP that specializes in Reptiles. Ask Pet stores/Breeders and call around and take him in ASAP; he needs 3 doses(Shots) of "FORTAZ" if the vet knows what hes doing. DO NOT ALLOW him to give him anythign else that requires a month of shots; thats a Dr who knows nothing. Also, NO baths for now. Remove the water dish from the inside of his tank to help lower the humidity. Make sure there is no moisture in the tank & humidity stays betweeen 30-40, it CANNOT be higher than 40 ever. Also, after he recovers never ever get water in his ears when bathing, make sure water level is way below his head/ears. And temp in tank is 95-98 if hes an adult, and humidity doesn't rise above 40 and never ever leave the water bowl in the tank over nite. I remove the food bowl too and burn it in boiling water every nite so its ready for the next day. BUY DIGITAL HYGOMETERS & DIGITAL THERMOMETERS. They are the only accurate ones. If they break or stop working; just go exchange its simple. Place the Hygometer in the hot side next to his basking spot 2inches below the top of the cage. GLUCK

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
If she is only doing it under certain circumstances, you can try and run some tests on it. See how she reacts to being held by different people in different areas of the house. If you notice her gaping only with certain people, you can narrow down the possible issues and figure out the connection. See if she always goes back to normal after a minute or two of being returned to you. It's probably not an RI if she doesn't do it all day.
Is he holding her in a way that could restrict breathing?

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon

This could be a display of anxiety. Usually accompanied by a subtle sound. Just take him out for a while, probably just needs some fresh air could also mean he needs a substrate clean. My Bearded Dragon Ely does this sometimes, freaked me out to begin with. But the other Dragons I have do not do this. So I appreciate your concern for him

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Ok it def seems to be an upper respiratory infection by that video. For sure!! It can cause numerous health issues & can lead to death. Take her to a reptile ver and show him the video the noises and the crouching low etc is a URI. What is your tank size and temps??? Do u have a powersun? Mercury bulb? If soo remove it ASAP!! Just use a zoomed clear basking bulb 75 or 100Watt I do 75 If it’s a 40 gallon tank; if it’s a bigger tank use a 100Watt. And for UVB u need the Reptisun 10.0 T5 that’s it. Both heat/UVB on in the winter for 10-12 hours per day rite now; I do 10hours and in the summer 12-14 hours per day only. At nite all lights off & quiet. If tank temp drops below 68 use a ceramic heat emitter it emits heat but no light. Temps: Adults like it at 95-97 or soo that’s it & use only a digital thememoter $10!! And a digital hygrometer $10 humidity should be 30-40 never ever higher than 40 or they get an URI. Also NO water dishes left in the tank overnite ever or food. Remove any sand they ingest it and it impacts them. His tummy looks super duper fat. Are u feeding mealworms; stop those asap. Do Dubia roaches, crickets and super worms that’s it. Some hornworms a few a week as treats but super and horn are high in Fat.

Dae

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok it def seems to be an upper respiratory infection by that video. For sure!! It can cause numerous health issues & can lead to death. Take her to a reptile ver and show him the video the noises and the crouching low etc is a URI. What is your tank size and temps??? Do u have a powersun? Mercury bulb? If soo remove it ASAP!! Just use a zoomed clear basking bulb 75 or 100Watt I do 75 If it’s a 40 gallon tank; if it’s a bigger tank use a 100Watt. And for UVB u need the Reptisun 10.0 T5 that’s it. Both heat/UVB on in the winter for 10-12 hours per day rite now; I do 10hours and in the summer 12-14 hours per day only. At nite all lights off & quiet. If tank temp drops below 68 use a ceramic heat emitter it emits heat but no light. Temps: Adults like it at 95-97 or soo that’s it & use only a digital thememoter $10!! And a digital hygrometer $10 humidity should be 30-40 never ever higher than 40 or they get an URI. Also NO water dishes left in the tank overnite ever or food. Remove any sand they ingest it and it impacts them. His tummy looks super duper fat. Are u feeding mealworms; stop those asap. Do Dubia roaches, crickets and super worms that’s it. Some hornworms a few a week as treats but super and horn are high in Fat.
Woahhhh bud chill out there, I'm not looking for a beginner's care guide lol. Like I know you mean well, especially since good beardie treatment is few and far between, so sometimes you can't help but lecture people, but it doesn't really seem like you've read my post at all and just watched the video.

I can assure you I know and have done all of this already and she does not do this or show anymore symptoms in any other situation. Which is why I'm puzzled and posting about this specific thing that happens. I don't think it's a respiratory infection since, as I said before, I have taken her to 2 reptile vets since I learned that she does this (She'd "been able" to do this since I got her in January) And I had gotten her checked out for possible infections both times, once in February, a month after I rescued her, and again about a month ago when I my boyfriend had brought it up and wanted to take her to a (different) vet to double check. Both came back negative.

She does not do this in ANY other situation, nor does she make any noises that are symptoms of URI, it's silent. And in the video she's crouched down because she's laying down trying to sleep, as I had gotten her out of her tank while she was sleeping in order to replicate the phenomenon to record it. I had already had a recording for the last vet trip but I couldn't post that here since my BF was shirtless in the last video and didn't want me posting it lol.

4x4x2 tank
reptile carpet (for now, but custom cut tile flooring is goooooals)
reptisun 10.0
Lights on timer surge protector 10hrs on/10hrs off.
iirc 100W halogen basking bulb?
2 CHE bulbs, 1 always-on on cool side, the other kicks on when the basking light turns off, otherwise the basking area will dip below 70.
Daytime temps: high 70s --> 98ish
Night temps: mid 70s across tank
humidity's never above 32%.

Diet:
Day 1: collard or mustard greens and raw shaved squash for her salad.
Day 2: salad with BSFL as staple and supplemental discoids from my colony dusted with calcium w/o d3 and multivitamin like, twice a month I'd say.
Occasional crickets/whatever I feel like buying from the feeder sites I buy from to try and add variety (I don't buy mealworms)
Day 3 is an off day to try and manage her weight since she's a little more heavy than I'd like right now,
water still offered for that day.

All food is set out and left for no longer than 15 minutes. And obviously I'm always looking out for new greens and bugs for her to try so her diet isn't so boring.

"I do 75 If it’s a 40 gallon tank;"
No adult beardie should be in a 40 gallon tank. Minimum size for adults is 4x4x2.

Dae

Bearded Dragon Egg
If she is only doing it under certain circumstances, you can try and run some tests on it. See how she reacts to being held by different people in different areas of the house. If you notice her gaping only with certain people, you can narrow down the possible issues and figure out the connection. See if she always goes back to normal after a minute or two of being returned to you. It's probably not an RI if she doesn't do it all day.
Is he holding her in a way that could restrict breathing?
I can definitely say she picks favorites, but overall she's pretty docile and seemingly not very anxious, My nephews will get VERY supervised handlings and she always does so good, albeit you can tell the difference of when she's in my hands and somebody else's

re: "Is he holding her in a way that could restrict breathing?":
yeah that's something I also considered, not necessarily holding her since he's not holding her during it, but maybe the way his chest is angled or something makes it harder for air to flow normally??

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Woahhhh bud chill out there, I'm not looking for a beginner's care guide lol. Like I know you mean well, especially since good beardie treatment is few and far between, so sometimes you can't help but lecture people, but it doesn't really seem like you've read my post at all and just watched the video.

I can assure you I know and have done all of this already and she does not do this or show anymore symptoms in any other situation. Which is why I'm puzzled and posting about this specific thing that happens. I don't think it's a respiratory infection since, as I said before, I have taken her to 2 reptile vets since I learned that she does this (She'd "been able" to do this since I got her in January) And I had gotten her checked out for possible infections both times, once in February, a month after I rescued her, and again about a month ago when I my boyfriend had brought it up and wanted to take her to a (different) vet to double check. Both came back negative.

She does not do this in ANY other situation, nor does she make any noises that are symptoms of URI, it's silent. And in the video she's crouched down because she's laying down trying to sleep, as I had gotten her out of her tank while she was sleeping in order to replicate the phenomenon to record it. I had already had a recording for the last vet trip but I couldn't post that here since my BF was shirtless in the last video and didn't want me posting it lol.

4x4x2 tank
reptile carpet (for now, but custom cut tile flooring is goooooals)
reptisun 10.0
Lights on timer surge protector 10hrs on/10hrs off.
iirc 100W halogen basking bulb?
2 CHE bulbs, 1 always-on on cool side, the other kicks on when the basking light turns off, otherwise the basking area will dip below 70.
Daytime temps: high 70s --> 98ish
Night temps: mid 70s across tank
humidity's never above 32%.

Diet:
Day 1: collard or mustard greens and raw shaved squash for her salad.
Day 2: salad with BSFL as staple and supplemental discoids from my colony dusted with calcium w/o d3 and multivitamin like, twice a month I'd say.
Occasional crickets/whatever I feel like buying from the feeder sites I buy from to try and add variety (I don't buy mealworms)
Day 3 is an off day to try and manage her weight since she's a little more heavy than I'd like right now,
water still offered for that day.

All food is set out and left for no longer than 15 minutes. And obviously I'm always looking out for new greens and bugs for her to try so her diet isn't so boring.

"I do 75 If it’s a 40 gallon tank;"
No adult beardie should be in a 40 gallon tank. Minimum size for adults is 4x4x2.
Ok; is the Reptisun a T5 or T8? The better one is a T5 & needs replacing every 12mnths & the T8 needs replacing every 6mnths. Switch to the T5 it’s brighter and emits more UVB & make sure it covers 70prcnt of the tank the length of it. 2ndly; heat & UVB should be on 10-12 in the winter so 10 is good for now but in the summer it’s 12-14; more like 14 tops. Che bulbs? A ceramic heat emitter use that at night YES if temp drops below 68-70. Humidity is great it can be 30-40 never higher than 40; assuming U have a digital hygrometer & a digital thermometer; others are never accurate so Digital only. Your scant stay at 32 it fluctuates depending on weather & temp in yoru house. If u have a digital reader u are good. Calcium (REPCAL) brand please up it to 3-4 times a week dusted once per day on the veggies or the feeders. And Herptivite once per week/per day. Once a month is not Enuff at all. Leave the veggie/green plate there for 2-3 hours when wilted switch it out they have to be able to eat when they want along with water bowl leave all those on the cold side. Just remove water and food 2 hours before lights out. Also the greens I are doing are great do that everyday salad only provides water no other value. Add dandelions, butternut squash, snap peas & Green beans those in addition to what u are doign are everyday ones u can give blueberries as a treat 2-3 times a week I do like 6/day. Also if the Beardie is over a year old he shoidl be also getting proteins Dubia roaches, large crickets, and super worms are the best ones. Don’t deprive him of proteins; he needs it does his bones & if u adopted chances are he was deprived. I feed mine between 15-20 crickets per day sometimes I add super worms too and hornworms 2-week as a treat & Dubia roaches are great lots of healthy protein. Sticking to Dubias, crickets and super worms are the healthiest & best for them. Don’t give them weird stuff but up the protein defintaley & up the calcium powder & the greens/veggies leave them in for hours when wilted switch it out; I do 2 fresh plates per day. Gr8 Job on the tank u have a 120 Gallon most people don’t know that this is the minimum for a “1” year old plus Beardie!!! They confine them in a 40gallon which is not cool. Also they love to look out the windows and watch TV; mellow stuff not violence; mine watch george Lopez and friends all day-Lol. Most people cover all walls in their cage like a prison cell I cover the left wall and the rigth with awesome palm tree paper. The back of my cage looks out a window and the front he can watch tv. Also make sure u are doing the 2baths per week in lukewarm dechlorinated water (Buy Reptisafe) for 15min minimum for hydration & More baths if shedding it helps them with itchiness & for skin to fall off.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I can definitely say she picks favorites, but overall she's pretty docile and seemingly not very anxious, My nephews will get VERY supervised handlings and she always does so good, albeit you can tell the difference of when she's in my hands and somebody else's

re: "Is he holding her in a way that could restrict breathing?":
yeah that's something I also considered, not necessarily holding her since he's not holding her during it, but maybe the way his chest is angled or something makes it harder for air to flow normally??
That could be it-see if she keeps doing it if he puts her on his lap or arm. A respiratory infection would only be a possibility if she was doing it constantly, not just when held.

ArloTheDragon55

Bearded Dragon Egg

Hello, I hope you’re still able to receive notifications from this forum. I have a beardie who does literally the exact same thing. I have been in this merry go round with him for a year. At first everyone was just saying respiratory infection and we took X-rays and it did show up to be so, so we treated it. It cleared all up. Now starting a month ago (October 2021) he does the same exact breathing your beardie does. It’s not consistently all the time it is only every so often. He still is active, eats like no other, and still goes to the bathroom. The vet I took him too also agrees it is not respiratory and took X-rays and it is not respiratory. They did blood work and I am still waiting on the results but I was wondering if you ever figured it out from your beardie ? My vet is thinking possible underlying health issue with something internal such as livers or kidneys, etc.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, I hope you’re still able to receive notifications from this forum. I have a beardie who does literally the exact same thing. I have been in this merry go round with him for a year. At first everyone was just saying respiratory infection and we took X-rays and it did show up to be so, so we treated it. It cleared all up. Now starting a month ago (October 2021) he does the same exact breathing your beardie does. It’s not consistently all the time it is only every so often. He still is active, eats like no other, and still goes to the bathroom. The vet I took him too also agrees it is not respiratory and took X-rays and it is not respiratory. They did blood work and I am still waiting on the results but I was wondering if you ever figured it out from your beardie ? My vet is thinking possible underlying health issue with something internal such as livers or kidneys, etc.
It is normal for a dragon to gape --- gasping air is different - gaping is when they are adjusting body temp and your vet should know this

Tina W.

Hatchling Dragon
Does your BF wear any type of cologne or body spray? Does she try to get off of him when he has her? Have you checked for stuck nose shed? Idk, those may all sound a little silly but sometimes its the last thought of thing. You try holding her in the exact same position, in the exact same space with your BF on the other side of the room. This is slightly weird and a little worrisome. Please update when you can.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Hmm; To me it’s an URInfection; find a good reptile vet or ask a Breeder or Google it. At night are u removing all food and water bowls? Never ever leave food or water bowls in the tank overnight. Also what’s the humidity? It should be 30-40 never ever over 40. U need a digital hygrometer those are the only accurate ones. Both of those cause URInfection; also taking her outside in cold weather and getting water in her ears when bathing or bathing in super cold water. So make sure to be aware of those issues I listed & correct and find a better vet.

Dae

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm sorry, but I really feel like the people responding to this thread are not actually taking anything I say into consideration and are just dumping their general knowledge of bearded dragon care in hopes of being seen as an expert or something?

I know all the causes of a URI, which is why I made this thread in the first place. Due to my confusion as to why this is happening despite having her checked for infections multiple times.
My vet has wondered if it's weight related, since her weight has been an ongoing issue. But that's just a thought, and we won't know for sure until I can keep her at a healthy weight.

I've since realized that it's not just him she'll do that on. She'll do it on me as well. From what I've seen, I really feel like it has something to do with her lungs being compressed in some way while she's laying down. Since she only does it while laying down, with the severity significantly depending on the part of my chest that she's laying on. And with that in mind I feel like the weight theory may be onto something? Being fat can often come with breathing problems in humans due to excess fat pressing up against your chest wall and diaphragm. Don't see why excess fat on lizards can't do a similar thing? I dunno. I've kind of put it aside for now, since she's still as active and excitable as ever, and it doesn't happen at all unless she's sleeping on someone's chest. And of course we've stopped doing that. So like, man I have no idea.