• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

BD basking away from Heat light

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Lol thats funny cuz Pierre like that log thing but since the bulb issue he been basking away as u see in the pic that where he'll go. so since that log is at like a slant im hopin once i switch out the bulb, and flip the log to its lowest point it should do the trick. But yeah i may look for another basking spot.

The main reason we had to switch is because our fat girl would always hang out on the very end of the top branch. Well we have a styrofoam background she likes to climb up really fast and leap on to that part of the branch. It finally was starting to almost flip over with her lol so that's when we knew, time to get a new log

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
The main reason we had to switch is because our fat girl would always hang out on the very end of the top branch. Well we have a styrofoam background she likes to climb up really fast and leap on to that part of the branch. It finally was starting to almost flip over with her lol so that's when we knew, time to get a new log

Oh yeaha I totally remember seeing him do that, He was chasing a cricket and was too fast and was rocking the log, lol almost ate it, ok ima have to add that to my list.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Haha yes if he's insisting he will hang out in that area it may be best. It's a great log though. We are keeping ours just because I think it makes a perfect log for baby beardies and maybe even a gecko one day

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
On the lighting it really is a you gotta watch your beardie and see what they are doing or not doing.. Sometimes my girl will want things hotter and sometimes she wants things cooler and I can tell by where she is on her log.. We all tend to laugh when we say OMG look at how many bulbs I have....it's true most of us have a shelf full for the different seasons and such..
You can get IR temp guns at most hardware stores and surely auto stores, I got a little hand held keychain one at our local farm supply store.
Yea for sure stay clear of coil bulbs just don't trust them...

Your cutie really doesn't look overweight so cutting out the supers is really up to you, they need their reserves if he's going to slow down..
Brumation how old is he? looks on the young side so most likely he'll get sluggish and nap on and off.. The first winter I had my gal she didn't weigh enough and she wasn't old enough to safely brummate so she just turned into a bit of a slug for a few months.. :) Now she's entered into brummation and other than her soak times she's out cold.

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
On the lighting it really is a you gotta watch your beardie and see what they are doing or not doing.. Sometimes my girl will want things hotter and sometimes she wants things cooler and I can tell by where she is on her log.. We all tend to laugh when we say OMG look at how many bulbs I have....it's true most of us have a shelf full for the different seasons and such..
You can get IR temp guns at most hardware stores and surely auto stores, I got a little hand held keychain one at our local farm supply store.
Yea for sure stay clear of coil bulbs just don't trust them...

Your cutie really doesn't look overweight so cutting out the supers is really up to you, they need their reserves if he's going to slow down..
Brumation how old is he? looks on the young side so most likely he'll get sluggish and nap on and off.. The first winter I had my gal she didn't weigh enough and she wasn't old enough to safely brummate so she just turned into a bit of a slug for a few months.. :) Now she's entered into brummation and other than her soak times she's out cold.

Yea he is 17 months old got him at 6 months. And maybe that's what he's doing napping on and off. As I came home from work and he was under his hideout. I switched out the bulb. Flip the log to have the low end under basking spot.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Couple things...Canada sucks for pet owners LOL! I have so many people that live in Canada that can't get things at a decent price. I would start stashing money away for vet bills just in case!

Your baby is big, so I am assuming it's an adult. Get the temp gun and drop the temps to 95-100 degrees. Adults don't need it that warm. Also, as they get older and longer and heavier, the start to get clumsy. I would lower the hammock down a bit closer to the ground so that if he falls he doesn't fall far. A fall from that far up with his size, he could hurt himself.

Look at bearded dragon.co. I believe someone said that they do ship to Canada.

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Alright just as am update Pierre been under his log sleeping all day lazy boy. So I got him and place him under the 75watts basking light. So far he hasn't move away from the light which is good sigh that its not to hot for him. As his 150watt bulb he would move away after a min. So it's good to see him soak in some heat. Now I gotta work on the uvb bulb I email a couple suppliers to get est cost and if they deliver to Canada. Will update

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
20160929_222926.jpg
20160929_224316.jpg
20160929_215924.jpg
20160929_222926.jpg 20160929_224316.jpg 20160929_215924.jpg

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That's great news that he's not moving away from her 75 watt bulb!

Good luck with the UVB situation.

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
So I finally gotten my hands on a heat gun. Got it for 10 bucks from a ad saved me 20 bucks from the store. So I wanted to do some testing with the new toy. So I put back in the 150watt bulb waited half hour check the heat and yep way to hot 144 degrees how wonder he was basking away. So I put back in the 75watts bulb which was petsmart brand all living things. I'm waiting 30 mins to see what reading I get with that

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So I finally gotten my hands on a heat gun. Got it for 10 bucks from a ad saved me 20 bucks from the store. So I wanted to do some testing with the new toy. So I put back in the 150watt bulb waited half hour check the heat and yep way to hot 144 degrees how wonder he was basking away. So I put back in the 75watts bulb which was petsmart brand all living things. I'm waiting 30 mins to see what reading I get with that

So glad to hear you got a temp gun, it will help you tremendously. When we first got our girl we had a 120 watt and thought it would be fine. Weeks later we got a temp gun and found out her basking spot was 130! Moral of the story is, you are not alone mistakes happen. It's good you caught it and made corrections.
How is your little one doing?

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
20161005_225218.jpg

Here he is on top of his log. I'm waiting to get the reading of the 75watts bulb as I don't think petsmart brand is that good

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Alright so I had little faith in the petsmart brand as I felt it wasn't giving off enough heat well I did the heat check and at the basking spot and it's at exactly 100 degrees. So my question is should I leave it as is with it at 100 degree or should I try and test a 100 watt bulb

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Alright so I had little faith in the petsmart brand as I felt it wasn't giving off enough heat well I did the heat check and at the basking spot and it's at exactly 100 degrees. So my question is should I leave it as is with it at 100 degree or should I try and test a 100 watt bulb

100 degrees is fine for your beardies age. You don't want it much higher than that.

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
One question though, does he gap while basking with the 75w?

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Naw he been going thru a brummation phase spending most time under his hide sleeping. So I hadn't been able to see him really bask as I work through the day. But on his 150watt he was in his hammock and was gap in other word with his mouth open. Tomorrow will be his bath day I'll be giving him a bath and set him on his basking spot to see how he does.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would leave his basking spot right at 100 as long as his cool side and warm side are at the appropriate temps as well

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
Naw he been going thru a brummation phase spending most time under his hide sleeping. So I hadn't been able to see him really bask as I work through the day. But on his 150watt he was in his hammock and was gap in other word with his mouth open. Tomorrow will be his bath day I'll be giving him a bath and set him on his basking spot to see how he does.

Oh okay. Well try out the 75w for a while and see how he acts. Best of luck to ya! I know it's very difficult to get temps right, took me a good two weeks or more and countless number of bulbs.

Latest posts